The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 October 2020, 12:09 PM   #1
lis
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Authenticating a Tiffany dial

I’ve read here about all the difficulties in being sure a Tiffany Rolex is truely from Tiffany unless it comes with papers. But here’s my question — wouldn’t Rolex have kept track by serial number of which watches went to Tiffany? Seems to me they must have accounted for this somehow.
lis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 03:32 PM   #2
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
They wont tell you whether it was given to Tiffany or not. Rolex are really only in the business of selling new watches, and they’ll tell you as such.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 04:23 PM   #3
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lis View Post
I’ve read here about all the difficulties in being sure a Tiffany Rolex is truely from Tiffany unless it comes with papers. But here’s my question — wouldn’t Rolex have kept track by serial number of which watches went to Tiffany? Seems to me they must have accounted for this somehow.

If a Rolex went to a Tiffany store, does that mean Tiffany rebranded it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 12:55 AM   #4
bmb15
Banned

Quote:

Rolex knows everything about all their watches! Papers are no guarantee for authenticity of a Tiffany & Co. dial. Buying such a watch is a minefield.
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 08:01 PM   #5
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Rolex do know, it's just that they won't tell you
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 02:36 PM   #6
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
If a Rolex went to a Tiffany store, does that mean Tiffany rebranded it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe (not sure) that the Tiffany &Co. logo was stamped onto the dials at the Tiffany stores.
Old 23 October 2020, 02:54 PM   #7
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb15 View Post
I believe that the Tiffany &Co. logo was stamped onto the dials at the Tiffany stores.
Would that compromise the water resistance?

Same with the Pateks?
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 02:59 PM   #8
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Would that compromise the water resistance?

Same with the Pateks?

If Tiffany (and not the dial supplier for Rolex) stamped the dials, they should have checked the water tightness afterwards, but I don't know.
Old 23 October 2020, 03:04 PM   #9
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
....wouldn’t Rolex have kept track by serial number of which watches went to Tiffany? Seems to me they must have accounted for this somehow.
Pretty sure. To buy a Rolex with Tiffany @ Co. dial is a MINEFIELD. I would not even trust papers but only Rolex SA in Geneva.
Old 23 October 2020, 03:06 PM   #10
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I have a Tiffany branded Rolex inherited from my Dad who purchased it in Beverly Hills, CA. when it was a part of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel around 1974—he doesn't remember exactly. I have no papers, and hence have an interest in this topic.

From what I have read, in the late 1950s Rolex watches, just like other brands sold by Tiffany, were being imprinted with the Tiffany & Co. brand name. Tiffany & Co. New York boutique was the first store to offer hand-painted versions with both brands displayed on the dial in various locations depending on the reference. Over the course of the partnership, Rolex Geneva also began printing the Tiffany logo on watches destined for Tiffany’s display cases. For many years Rolex watches could be serviced at either Tiffany & Co. or the Rolex Service Center.

In the early 1990s, Rolex decided it would no longer honor warranties on watches that had been imprinted with the Tiffany & Co. logo at their service centers or boutiques. As Tiffany was, and still is a house brand, they wanted their merchandise to feature their name. Tiffany continued to print the dials, which resulted in Rolex and Tiffany parting ways.

I found this Christie's auction, which shows a gold 1675 with confirmation of sale letter from Tiffany & Co. New York. This is from a 2017 auction. It implies Tiffany does have authentication processes as well, but like everything else, I'm sure it's expensive. https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...9-details.aspx

Here is a pic of my watch. It is in need of a service….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch_36_ss.jpg (123.3 KB, 456 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 03:12 PM   #11
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
I have a Tiffany branded Rolex inherited from my Dad who purchased it in Beverly Hills, CA. when it was a part of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel around 1974—he doesn't remember exactly. I have no papers, and hence have an interest in this topic.

From what I have read, in the late 1950s Rolex watches, just like other brands sold by Tiffany, were being imprinted with the Tiffany & Co. brand name. Tiffany & Co. New York boutique was the first store to offer hand-painted versions with both brands displayed on the dial in various locations depending on the reference. Over the course of the partnership, Rolex Geneva also began printing the Tiffany logo on watches destined for Tiffany’s display cases. For many years Rolex watches could be serviced at either Tiffany & Co. or the Rolex Service Center.

In the early 1990s, Rolex decided it would no longer honor warranties on watches that had been imprinted with the Tiffany & Co. logo at their service centers or boutiques. As Tiffany was, and still is a house brand, they wanted their merchandise to feature their name. Tiffany continued to print the dials, which resulted in Rolex and Tiffany parting ways.

I found this Christie's auction, which shows a gold 1675 with confirmation of sale letter from Tiffany & Co. New York. This is from a 2017 auction. It implies Tiffany does have authentication processes as well, but like everything else, I'm sure it's expensive. https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...9-details.aspx
Here is a pic of my watch. It's in need of a service, which hopefully will happen this year.

Thanks for sharing, interesting.
Can you please show us a high resolution macro of the Tiffany text?
Old 23 October 2020, 05:11 PM   #12
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb15 View Post
Thanks for sharing, interesting.
Can you please show us a high resolution macro of the Tiffany text?
That’s not going to help you a lot. There are many varieties and its originality is impossible to tell from the print alone.
Paperwork is key for Tiffany branded watches
Old 24 October 2020, 01:39 AM   #13
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
That’s not going to help you a lot. There are many varieties and its originality is impossible to tell from the print alone.
Paperwork is key for Tiffany branded watches
Yes there are many different versions of the branding, and paperwork can be forged too…

Thought you all might find this link interesting too. This one, also a Root Beer, sold at Sotheby's for a premium without paperwork and I'm pretty sure the insert is fake. The bottom line collectors want that paperwork but plenty are willing to purchase without if authenticated by a credible agency. That said, many of these credible agencies don't have the expertise to make a determination. https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...y-co-root-beer

Here is a close up of mine, best I could do with my iPhone. Almost looks like a child did it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch_27_ss.jpg (62.2 KB, 396 views)
Old 24 October 2020, 03:56 AM   #14
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Here is my favorite Tiffany branded Rolex. So awesome!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-vE...ist=WL&index=7
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 03:10 AM   #15
Ancona
"TRF" Member

Hello ... I stumbled upon your post last night. I hope you do not mind me contacting you. Did you eventually find a way to better authenticate your Tiffany Rolex ? I have a two examples that my father and I purchased in the late 80s at the Tiffany & Co. Beverly Wilshire Hotel location (a day-date and date just ). I look forward to your response if you should feel inclined.
Ancona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 02:45 AM   #16
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancona View Post
Hello ... I stumbled upon your post last night. I hope you do not mind me contacting you. Did you eventually find a way to better authenticate your Tiffany Rolex ? I have a two examples that my father and I purchased in the late 80s at the Tiffany & Co. Beverly Wilshire Hotel location (a day-date and date just ). I look forward to your response if you should feel inclined.
Short answer is no, you cannot authenticate unless Rolex decides at some point to open the archives. Her is my authentication journey in a nut shell:

Went to Tiffany in Beverly Hills, now located on Rodeo and they had no records that go back that far. Tiffany New York will do an Authentication (1K) but does not include the serial number of the watch so what is the point…? I did get a quote for service on my GMT from the Rolex Service Center just a few blocks down the street from Tiffany. They insisted on authenticating the watch first (paid $260 for that, which would have been folded into service cost), which they did, and then offered to service the watch which I declined and went with Phillip Ridley. An offer to service the watch from Rolex does not equate to authenticating the Tiffany stamp in the eyes of many solid collectors. So again, no, you cannot authenticate a Tiffany stamped watch. Oh, and the crudely etched serial numbers on the lug supposedly made by Tiffany, IMHO, also BS as if that was the case mine would have them. #2 I think Tiffany would do a better job engraving a serial number on the lug than that. It is Tiffany after all…

Here are a few other threads you might find interesting.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=247419
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=905266
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...authenticating

Enjoy them with the knowledge that they are real examples. Would love to see some pics regardless of their "proven" authenticity.
Old 20 December 2023, 07:12 AM   #17
jedione65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post

Here is a pic of my watch. It is in need of a service….
That is very informative and a gorgeous watch. You should never let that go.
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 08:06 AM   #18
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedione65 View Post
That is very informative and a gorgeous watch. You should never let that go.
Thanks! I had it service a few years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7828_s.jpg (280.3 KB, 121 views)
Old 20 December 2023, 08:47 AM   #19
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Rolex might have the information to verify a Tiffany model Rolex but they aren't talking or providing that information to collectors.

Many people forget that Rolex is in business to sell watches. That is what they do. It's sad to see that questions or issues that collectors have with the vintage models are a very minor priority for Rolex, so minor that it is almost non existent.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote