The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 6 April 2020, 04:37 AM   #5371
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
This was very interesting. From what I understand, it reduces the amount of particles in the air, so an infected person expels less particles the virus is attached to, makes complete sense. The other point is that it keeps you from scratching your face, which I also accept. Your point about having the virus enter your system in a small number so the body can prepare a defense instead of being an onslaught also makes perfect sense; less particles with the virus enter so less virus enters. So a mask may help in the over-all solution, But...

The assumption that an individual person wearing a paper or cloth mask will filter out the virus and keep it from entering their body through inhalation of the nose or mouth is still wrong. That is my point.

Doctors? Scientists? I am at your beck and call for a flogging.
Please explain?

Do you mean 100% filtration ?

Not even N-95 or N-99 will do that.

You would have to wear a P100 to get 99.9% protection in a mask that is not mechanically ventilated in a closed loop return within sealed suit.

It's about reducing the odds.

PLUS: If you wear and mask and I wear a mask, we have a herd reduction in expelled virus, so there is less overall floating about.

It's not about YOU

It's not about ME

It's about US.

Everybody needs to cover their faceholes. Teamwork for the win.
Old 6 April 2020, 04:51 AM   #5372
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

STAY at HOME,
WEAR a MASK if you have one when you are out in public
and Be SAFE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wash.jpg (36.3 KB, 221 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 6 April 2020, 04:55 AM   #5373
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
If anything, this pandemic has shown that people are going to believe what they are going to believe regardless of the information available. People will see what you wrote above and say it’s not where I live so why should I change how I live. Or they will find some other information to counter it.
What about you?

Will you read with an open mind? Will you look at other perspectives and potentially learn from them? Or at a minimum have some understanding of where they are coming from?

Or will your thought process revolve around what you believe based on your own perspective?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 6 April 2020, 04:55 AM   #5374
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Please explain?

Do you mean 100% filtration ?

Not even N-95 or N-99 will do that.

You would have to wear a P100 to get 99.9% protection in a mask that is not mechanically ventilated in a closed loop return within sealed suit.

It's about reducing the odds.

PLUS: If you wear and mask and I wear a mask, we have a herd reduction in expelled virus, so there is less overall floating about.

It's not about YOU

It's not about ME

It's about US.

Everybody needs to cover their faceholes. Teamwork for the win.
Yep, this I believe to be true, if everyone wore a mask, in the presence of other people, it would reduce the amount of particles in the air, and virus infections, THIS is the reason authorities want us to wear a mask. I get it.

What I don’t get, is the situation I described, people believing they are safe from inhaling the virus if they wear a $.30 Home-Depot dust mask. It’s not only a false and potentially dangerous sense of security, humans should be smarter then that.

On my walk I fought the urge to run up to those people and yell: BOO!
Old 6 April 2020, 04:58 AM   #5375
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: your attitude
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I knew what you were referring to.

This is all about perspective. And the amount of people dying I think is horrendous and it breaks my heart.

But I believe I am thinking bigger picture than you are. My perspective. Please don't take offense as none is intended.

What happens when we burn through all of our natural resources? What happens we completely pollute our oceans? What happens when we completely demolish all the rain forests?

I can ask these questions all day. There are a ton of them.

I am of the mindset in that we (as a species) feel it is our responsibility and even our "right" to procreate and consume whatever it is we want.

We are destroying the natural habitats of thousands of species. We are creating smog over many cities. We are consuming more animals at a faster rate than they can possibly reproduce.

If something does not change, something WILL change eventually.

I am not happy about any of this situation. I cant express enough how much I think it is horrifying. It breaks my heart. I am right outside the epicenter. I am seeing it all and I am directly effect...as everyone eventually will be.

But our species is a plagues in and of itself. All we do is consume with no thought to what our actions do. As long as we are taking care of ourselves right? Who cares about world or the animals or the fish or the trees of the world, right?

As long as we can do whatever we want do to, we simply don't care about the repercussions. That is an absolute fact. You simply cant dispute it. As a species we just don't care about our actions and the repercussions of them as long as we get what we want.

We are caring now though right? Less people means less destruction (of everything) and therefore means a longer platform for the species.

Sorry. But when you look at the bigger picture of literally everyone dying due to zero resources, yes, based on a certain perspective 16,000,000 is not that bad.

Horrifying on the small scale. Less so in the bigger picture.
Very true, unless we start treating this planet with respect, we have worse things coming. Just like we act surprised by this pandemic, in spite of being fully aware of its possibility for many years, we will be "surprised" by the effects of our collective actions regarding the environment in not so distant future ;-)
Old 6 April 2020, 05:08 AM   #5376
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Queen Elizabeth just gave a beautiful, uplifting speech. God Bless her, and her loved ones.
Old 6 April 2020, 05:12 AM   #5377
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Never mind.
Old 6 April 2020, 05:13 AM   #5378
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pig.jpg (47.3 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg StayHm.jpg (40.4 KB, 210 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Old 6 April 2020, 05:15 AM   #5379
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is all about perspective. And the amount of people dying I think is horrendous and it breaks my heart.

But I believe I am thinking bigger picture than you are. My perspective. Please don't take offense as none is intended.

What happens when we burn through all of our natural resources? What happens we completely pollute our oceans? What happens when we completely demolish all the rain forests?

I can ask these questions all day. There are a ton of them.

I am of the mindset in that we (as a species) feel it is our responsibility and even our "right" to procreate and consume whatever it is we want.

We are destroying the natural habitats of thousands of species. We are creating smog over many cities. We are consuming more animals at a faster rate than they can possibly reproduce.

If something does not change, something WILL change eventually.

I am not happy about any of this situation. I cant express enough how much I think it is horrifying. It breaks my heart. I am right outside the epicenter. I am seeing it all and I am directly effect...as everyone eventually will be.

But our species is a plagues in and of itself. All we do is consume with no thought to what our actions do. As long as we are taking care of ourselves right? Who cares about world or the animals or the fish or the trees of the world, right?

As long as we can do whatever we want do to, we simply don't care about the repercussions. That is an absolute fact. You simply cant dispute it. As a species we just don't care about our actions and the repercussions of them as long as we get what we want.

We are caring now though right? Less people means less destruction (of everything) and therefore means a longer platform for the species.

Sorry. But when you look at the bigger picture of literally everyone dying due to zero resources, yes, based on a certain perspective 16,000,000 is not that bad.

Horrifying on the small scale. Less so in the bigger picture.
Quote:
What about you?

Will you read with an open mind? Will you look at other perspectives and potentially learn from them? Or at a minimum have some understanding of where they are coming from?

Or will your thought process revolve around what you believe based on your own perspective?
As a matter of fact, I was actually going to write that I agree with your statement above. It is very difficult to read tone online and hope that you were not being accusatory.

I believe the above is a much larger discussion and should be on its own thread. I’m sure the differences in opinions on whether we are over consuming of our resources, climate change, etc. I’m sure it would be as spirited as this thread.

My original point was that you will always have people who will not budge from their position and others who will. And it has been readily apparent reading through this thread how this is a microcosm of our human natures.
Old 6 April 2020, 05:23 AM   #5380
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
As a matter of fact, I was actually going to write that I agree with your statement above. It is very difficult to read tone online and hope that you were not being accusatory.

I believe the above is a much larger discussion and should be on its own thread. I’m sure the differences in opinions on whether we are over consuming of our resources, climate change, etc. I’m sure it would be as spirited as this thread.

My original point was that you will always have people who will not budge from their position and others who will. And it has been readily apparent reading through this thread how this is a microcosm of our human natures.
I promise you I was not.

And I imagine that most everyone on this forum would attest that to that. (not all, I have a troll and I don't think he would)

I am genuinely always encouraging people to step outside themselves and look at things from someone else's perspective. If I came off wrong, I apologize. I agree that tone can get lost.

Old 6 April 2020, 05:30 AM   #5381
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by haven_seeker View Post

I think the reaction of the public and the world at large has been nothing short of hysterical on every level.

I truly believe that what I've seen so far, based on my uneducated opinion and experience, that the reaction and hysteria has been worse than the virus by exponential measure.

Concur

Old 6 April 2020, 05:35 AM   #5382
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRex.jpg (147.1 KB, 208 views)

Old 6 April 2020, 05:38 AM   #5383
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-mi9uqn...d=f7jxhknxy3mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 April 2020, 05:40 AM   #5384
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Regarding everyone’s different beliefs in what constitutes “bad” and how they’d feel if Covid death hit their loved ones, I’m always reminded of the words of the great American philosopher Mike Tyson:

“Everyone has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth.”
Old 6 April 2020, 05:40 AM   #5385
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Ha. I was watching that. I love that dude.

My favorite.

Old 6 April 2020, 05:42 AM   #5386
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Regarding everyone’s different beliefs in what constitutes “bad” and how they’d feel if Covid death hit their loved ones, I’m always reminded of the words of the great American philosopher Mike Tyson:

“Everyone has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth.”
True. Can’t agree with you more.

And then the winners adapt, improvise and overcome. The losers crumple up in a corner and hope for the best.

Old 6 April 2020, 05:56 AM   #5387
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Dear forists. What is the current situation in New York City? What I see on the news here doesn't look good. I feel with you and think of you. All the best, stay healthy and at home.
Old 6 April 2020, 06:06 AM   #5388
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post

So for those hanging out hope that Sweden is the smartest government in the world may be in for a surprise. Looks like their numbers are growing faster than not only Norway a country that shares its longest border but also Finland who both closed up shop. Here's a comparison of their numbers as of yesterday:

Sweden - Cases 6830 New Cases 387 Deaths 401 New Deaths 28 Death Rate 5.8%
Norway - Cases 5645 New Cases 95 Deaths 66 New Deaths 4 Death Rate 1.1%
Finland - Cases 1927 New Cases 45 Deaths 28 New Deaths 3 Death Rate 1.4%
I think it's too early to read anything into those statistics.

I realise you are comparing Scandinavian countries, but compared to the UK at present they have a death rate/million of pop at nearly half ours and furthermore their new daily cases and deaths have dropped dramatically over the last couple of days.
Old 6 April 2020, 06:11 AM   #5389
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: your attitude
Quote:
True. Can’t agree with you more.

And then the winners adapt, improvise and overcome. The losers crumple up in a corner and hope for the best.
Except we knew the fight was coming, but didn't really bother with a plan ;-)

In a way, we are lucky that this latest warning came in a form that predominantly targets the vulnerable and spares most with "mild symptoms".

Had the mortality rate been 50% or more, what's left of us would likely sit in the hills now, rethinking the concepts of globalization, environmental protection, sustainable development, etc...

Mother Nature doesn't listen to excuses, sometimes we should remind ourselves of that before we pay the ultimate price.
Old 6 April 2020, 06:13 AM   #5390
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
Except we knew the fight was coming, but didn't really bother with a plan ;-)

In a way, we are lucky that this latest warning came in a form that predominantly targets the vulnerable and spares most with "mild symptoms".

Had the mortality rate been 50% or more, what's left of us would likely sit in the hills now, rethinking the concepts of globalization, environmental protection, sustainable development, etc...

Mother Nature doesn't listen to excuses, sometimes we should remind ourselves of that before we pay the ultimate price.
yep. fact. mother nature cares not at all for excuses.

in a lot of ways we are lucky.

Old 6 April 2020, 06:13 AM   #5391
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMercedes View Post
Dear forists. What is the current situation in New York City? What I see on the news here doesn't look good. I feel with you and think of you. All the best, stay healthy and at home.
Numbers from earlier today below. Most people taking precautions. I know of 2 people that have lost loved ones. Even the skeptics are starting to wear gloves at least. Better safe than sorry is my stance.

Old 6 April 2020, 06:14 AM   #5392
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Stay at home as if your name was Trenton Quarantino.......
Old 6 April 2020, 06:17 AM   #5393
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Attached Images
File Type: png STAYHOME.png (43.4 KB, 172 views)

Old 6 April 2020, 06:26 AM   #5394
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
How many died in NYC yesterday?

DAVE

Old 6 April 2020, 06:30 AM   #5395
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
I think it's too early to read anything into those statistics.

I realise you are comparing Scandinavian countries, but compared to the UK at present they have a death rate/million of pop at nearly half ours and furthermore their new daily cases and deaths have dropped dramatically over the last couple of days.
It is though worth bearing in mind that Sweden has a population more than 6 times lower than the U.K. with a land area that’s nearly double ours, giving a population density 12 times lower. It’s a lot harder to keep a lid on an infectious disease that spreads through close contact in small, densely populated countries and regions. I think their numbers are comparatively pretty bad and certainly don’t suggest that their strategy is working.
Old 6 April 2020, 06:32 AM   #5396
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I believe close to 600.
Old 6 April 2020, 06:34 AM   #5397
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
From google, can’t confirm it’s accuracy. ABC7. How are things across the pond?
Quote:
NEW YORK CITY -- Amid fears of an even greater surge next week, New York City is now seeing about 12 deaths an hour from COVID-19, with 1,867 total coronavirus fatalities reported in New York City, an increase of 305 in a 24-hour period, the New York City Health Department announced Friday evening
Old 6 April 2020, 06:43 AM   #5398
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
I believe close to 600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
From google, can’t confirm it’s accuracy. ABC7. How are things across the pond?
I think it will be similar, it is devastating wherever one is.

DAVE

Old 6 April 2020, 06:45 AM   #5399
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I promise you I was not.

And I imagine that most everyone on this forum would attest that to that. (not all, I have a troll and I don't think he would)

I am genuinely always encouraging people to step outside themselves and look at things from someone else's perspective. If I came off wrong, I apologize. I agree that tone can get lost.

In regards to your previous post, this virus has highlighted one of the effects humans have on the planet. There have been a number of articles about better air quality around the world. I remember seeing an article about how the waters in Venice are clear enough that fish have returned. Anecdotally, I use an app to track air quality and have rarely seen so many days of really good air quality.
Old 6 April 2020, 06:51 AM   #5400
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, get it, just not sold on the big picture thinking and what we call good remain different things. Stay safe and healthy