The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 September 2017, 03:42 AM   #121
carava501
"TRF" Member

I hate Coffee hahaha
carava501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 07:40 AM   #122
James K
"TRF" Member

I've been buying Country Roasters (also goes by Country Traders) of Jamaica coffee for 23 years now. 100% blue mountain, low caffeine and roasted 1-3 days before being shipped to me. I can't complain, it makes a great cup of coffee. I also occasionally buy 100% Kona coffee. I bring up the Kona coffee council's website and play spin the bottle so to say to find a nice plantation selling it's product. My last couple have been Mr. Bean Kona Coffee and Hula Daddy. It's expensive (Hula Daddy's Karen J) but brewed correctly and it can be very similar to a fine wine, changing tastes as it moves around on your palette.
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:01 PM   #123
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Don't ignore the smaller roasters. They often offer a lot of variety in their bean as it is sourced from all over the coffee-growing world. You can enjoy the subtle differences of an Ethiopian Harrar Longberry, a Peru Ceja de Selva or a Sumatran Mandheling Select.
Most small roasters will also do their own blends that compensate for the deficiencies of individual single-origins.
In Australia I often order from a Southern roaster who mails the whole bean to me. Costs a little more when you add the shipping to the price of the bean, but it opens up a world of variety.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 03:34 PM   #124
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Don't ignore the smaller roasters. They often offer a lot of variety in their bean as it is sourced from all over the coffee-growing world. You can enjoy the subtle differences of an Ethiopian Harrar Longberry, a Peru Ceja de Selva or a Sumatran Mandheling Select.
Most small roasters will also do their own blends that compensate for the deficiencies of individual single-origins.
In Australia I often order from a Southern roaster who mails the whole bean to me. Costs a little more when you add the shipping to the price of the bean, but it opens up a world of variety.
IMO, smaller roasters are really the only way to go. Big roasters like Starbucks focus more on consistency than quality. They roast their beans in huge batches and burn the hell out of them, but hey, as long as each batch comes out the same, mission accomplished.

The two big coffee chains here in the USA are Starbucks and Coffee Bean. Starbucks is totally undrinkable for me, but Coffee Bean is ok. There are some smaller regional chains such as Peet's Coffee and I will admit that for being a chain (albeit a smaller chain), they take pride in producing a quality product. For example, each store gets new shipments of beans every week. The beans are all roasted the same week of the shipment and in small batches.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 03:50 PM   #125
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
In Australia, a lot of the best coffee is being produced by small, independent cafes that often source quality bean from a variety of small and medium size independent roasters scattered around the country.
I avoid the few big national chains as the coffee is just better from independent cafes.
I have just returned from a driving holiday covering 3500 klms in which I had morning coffee at 10 different small cafes spread throughout rural Queensland, New South Wales and the Aust. Capital Territory. The coffee was good throughout, leading me to the conclusion that the small outlets have embraced the concept of quality coffee with a passion that often well exceeds anything that 'chain cafes' are doing.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 04:53 PM   #126
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Hence why Starbucks failed in Australia.
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 08:15 PM   #127
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Ive been buying whole beans from a west coast roaster called Verve. I buy their single origin Espresso beans and make myself one cappuccino every morning with it. So delicious.

This thread reminds me that I need to order more coffee.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 11:27 PM   #128
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I totally agree. My favorite roaster is Caffe Lusso out of Washington, and I just purchased my second 1kg bag of Ethiopian Harar as my wife loves it brewed and you can pull a great shot with it. They've got a broad enough selection, and their ordering process is very streamlined. You place the order through Paypal, the same day they roast your batch, and ship it out either that afternoon or the next morning with a roast date on the bag.

This thread reminded me I need to snap some pics of my espresso and brew set-ups to post on the forum. Took some time to get it juuuuuuust right.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 12:16 AM   #129
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
TRF ~ Coffee Lovers Thread!

New Green Beans from Kenyan are in. I plan to roast some this weekend.

Great place to order beans and coffee related items if you are interested: https://www.sweetmarias.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110009.JPG (262.1 KB, 249 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 12:42 AM   #130
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
New Green Beans from Kenyan are in. I plan to roast some this weekend.

Great place to order beans and coffee related items if you are interested: https://www.sweetmarias.com/
Ah man!!! Now you show me this. I just reordered and your people have Brazillian bourbon beans. That's my favorite!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 02:46 AM   #131
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I have gotten into Cold Brews. Hard.
I make my own every week and only get it out when I run out.

As to local faves:
Rev Coffee in Smyrna, GA is devine. They roast their own beans and I have used several for my Cold Brew experiments. Their Brazil Cerrado and Silver Comet Blend are my two faves for local Cold Brew.

Chic-fil-A has the best mass produced Cold Brew I've tasted.

There is a new local spot that has Stumptown, including a Cold Brew and a Nitro. Love that Nitro.

Stone street is my favorite bean for my homemade Cold Brew. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
I also like Tiny Footprint but StoneStreet is more to my liking.

I use this gem of a gadget for my brew. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another successful brew this week using Revelator Pale Rider.

I also have a Moka pot for when Espresso calls my name.

I love coffee!!!!!
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 05:03 AM   #132
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Ah man!!! Now you show me this. I just reordered and your people have Brazillian bourbon beans. That's my favorite!!
Bummer but now you have another oulet for beans. I like how they are rated like wines too.

I'll have to try the Brazilian bourbon beans.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Old 18 September 2017, 06:47 AM   #133
Theurbancommando
"TRF" Member

I think I have a bit of a problem with coffee machines! My favourite is the 1962 Pavonia made the same year I was born.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150702_080908.jpg (270.5 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg L1040784.JPG (260.7 KB, 224 views)
Theurbancommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 06:48 AM   #134
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Those are great looking machines. I like your poster, too.
Old 18 September 2017, 06:55 AM   #135
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Those are great looking machines. I like your poster, too.

Nice set up!!

What poster is it? I can only see that it's Pirelli so assume motor racing orientated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 07:20 AM   #136
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

You got the Coffee covered in you place! I bet you make a mean cup.

Old 18 September 2017, 07:25 AM   #137
Theurbancommando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You got the Coffee covered in you place! I bet you make a mean cup.
Sadly no! I don't like my own coffee very much despite spending many many hours trying to make a decent cup. I just like gadgets!!!
Theurbancommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 07:45 AM   #138
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Jameson Brown Coffee Roasters, their store in on Allen street off the 210.
Nice! I'll check it out, too. I'm in the area almost daily. I grind/brew my own coffee most days but sometimes I hit up Jones' in Pasadena. Glad to have another spot as the roaster there kinda pissed me off.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 07:48 AM   #139
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
Nice! I'll check it out, too. I'm in the area almost daily. I grind/brew my own coffee most days but sometimes I hit up Jones' in Pasadena. Glad to have another spot as the roaster there kinda pissed me off.
Jones' is pretty good, but the main attraction in that little mall is Pie Life!!!
Old 18 September 2017, 08:02 AM   #140
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Jones' is pretty good, but the main attraction in that little mall is Pie Life!!!
I have a serious addiction to that place. Just wish they were open on Monday's!
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 08:49 AM   #141
milov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theurbancommando View Post
I think I have a bit of a problem with coffee machines! My favourite is the 1962 Pavonia made the same year I was born.
That Pavoni lever action is a great machine... A little bit temperamental. But punches well above its weight in the domestic espresso machine market.
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 02:25 AM   #142
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Apparently this coffee actually can kill you.

Quote:
Picked up a bag of Death Wish coffee purely out of interest. It's supposed to have 2x the caffeine.

The roasting date is not mentioned on the bag, but the beans seems reasonably fresh. The coffee is a very dark roast and has a strong, mildly bitter flavor - like a piece of unsweetened chocolate. I actually like it (not a fan of light/fruity/acidic coffee).

I cannot quantify the caffeine content, but the coffee does seem to be stronger than normal coffee. Best case scenario, it really does have 2x the caffeine. Worst case, it's just a strong cup of coffee.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 09:05 AM   #143
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Chad- Brazilian bourbon beans arrived today! I'll call you to discuss roasting time/tips!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110048.JPG (244.1 KB, 188 views)

Old 23 November 2017, 04:32 AM   #144
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Coffee Time..

Old 23 November 2017, 11:13 AM   #145
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Looking forward to brewing this tomorrow!

Old 23 November 2017, 11:26 AM   #146
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looking forward to brewing this tomorrow!
That looks great!

We have a local place here called Buddy Brew that roasts some amazing beans.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 08:03 AM   #147
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
TRF coffee aficionado’s may scoff at this post but I took delivery of a new Jura coffee machine a coupe of months ago and absolutely love it!!

Black Friday had a very good deal on Illy so thought I’d give it a go. (Been using Jura beans thus far)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 08:23 AM   #148
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
In Australia, a lot of the best coffee is being produced by small, independent cafes that often source quality bean from a variety of small and medium size independent roasters scattered around the country.
I avoid the few big national chains as the coffee is just better from independent cafes.
I have just returned from a driving holiday covering 3500 klms in which I had morning coffee at 10 different small cafes spread throughout rural Queensland, New South Wales and the Aust. Capital Territory. The coffee was good throughout, leading me to the conclusion that the small outlets have embraced the concept of quality coffee with a passion that often well exceeds anything that 'chain cafes' are doing.
Yup, amen to that.
Small, batch made, artisanal, home made with love.
great thread here TRFers. reading this and looking at the photos with my plunged coffee makes it tastes little better
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 08:30 AM   #149
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Any one here tried Kopi Luwak or Civet Coffee?
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 09:58 AM   #150
milov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Any one here tried Kopi Luwak or Civet Coffee?
I'm pretty sure I've said this here before. But Kopi Luwak is a hoax with a very tragic outcome. When I first visited Java in the 70's Kopi suwuk Luwak meant something different than what it does now. Back then samples of cherries were stamped and then placed in a cage with Civets. If the Civet 'chose' a cherry, then the crop from which that sample was taken were labeled as high quality suwuk luwak beans. But somehow over time this has changed.

It is a nasty scam when thousands of Civets are kept caged and exclusively fed the cherries because of a marketing angle that suggests that digestion process improves the quality of the seed.

The result is poor quality over priced beans and a cruel outcome for the Civet cats.

I've never been a huge fan of Indonesian beans. Low altitude. Rarely floral or fruity. I can enjoy the odd cup of of spiced Kopi tobruk. But only for the novelty factor.
milov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kona