The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 November 2020, 09:56 PM   #1
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Running Watch

I have been running for a long time. TBH, most weeks I run 4 miles on 3 days. I used to have a Timex Ironman. It was fine, and I knew my pace, so would always divide my running time by 8, and figure out how far (approximately) I ran. About 10 years ago, a buddy got me a Garmin GPS watch. I have been using that ever since, and it is good for gauging the distance on unfamiliar routes, and I am reminded when my pace changes (slows down, lol). It is, however, a PITA. It sometimes takes minutes to lock into a satellite, and the battery lasts MAYBE two runs. Oh and the bezel menu is annoyingly difficult to use. The last straw was that when I unpacked it after a trip south, the watch band had broken. So I need a new watch.

I guess I've come to like the GPS feature, but likely just need a basic watch. I'm not really looking to spend a lot on it, and will only use it for timing runs and maybe bike rides, and calculating distance if it's a GPS watch. I don't really care what it looks like.

Any suggestions? There are probably some cool features you can get these days, but I haven't shopped a running watch since about 1990.
Old 5 November 2020, 10:04 PM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I’m happy with this, I’ve run the London marathon twice wearing an offshore without complaint. I also have a Garmin watch but tbh it’s got way more features than I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 10:15 PM   #3
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Don't bother with a running smart watch if you don't need to see your pace or splits. Just use Map My Run app for your phone. Start the app before you leave, stop it when you get back. Wear whatever watch you want -- or no watch-- and enjoy your run.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 10:26 PM   #4
NutNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMT IIc

I’ve been using an Apple iWatch (Series 4) and have been very happy with it. It gives all the info. (i.e. Distance, Pace, HR etc.) and it offers a whole lot of functionality especially when it comes to health.

NutNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 10:29 PM   #5
NutNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I’m happy with this, I’ve run the London marathon twice wearing an offshore without complaint. I also have a Garmin watch but tbh it’s got way more features than I need.

2 marathons with a ROO Chronograph - that’s hardcore.

NutNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 10:32 PM   #6
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Honestly I just keep my phone in my pocket while I run with the Adidas running app. open. Doesn’t cost a thing and does all the details for me. I run about the same amount you do it sounds like 4-5 miles a day 3-4x per week.
Old 5 November 2020, 10:41 PM   #7
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
Honestly I just keep my phone in my pocket while I run with the Adidas running app. open. Doesn’t cost a thing and does all the details for me. I run about the same amount you do it sounds like 4-5 miles a day 3-4x per week.
I've thought about that too. I wear an old iPod Nano for tunes, so my iPhone would perform double duty. I'm just not sure I want something too bulky. My phone is a Xr.
Old 5 November 2020, 11:36 PM   #8
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I've thought about that too. I wear an old iPod Nano for tunes, so my iPhone would perform double duty. I'm just not sure I want something too bulky. My phone is a Xr.

I agree.
For several reasons, a phone in the pocket isn’t the best running solution.

Been running since 1977 - and found many solutions over the years. I was a Kickstarter for the original Pebble watch and early Apple Watch adopter.

But my top tip may not be in line with your budget.

Apple Watch w/cellular data + AirPods. You don’t need a phone, has your iTunes library onboard, supports native running apps and is water resistant. If you get knocked down, it’ll call 911, it has phone onboard and Siri to give you directions if you get lost in the woods.

If that’s not in the cards, just find a used one from a reseller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 11:40 PM   #9
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
I’d suggest the Apple Watch series 3 with the Strava run app.

GPS
Strava app is way better than Garmin for tracking runs
Heart rate monitor
Old 6 November 2020, 12:11 AM   #10
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

The modern Garmin watches don’t have those same issues with finding the GPS. I probably had a similar model to yours 10+ years ago and it was a pain. The next one got better and the next one better again.

It takes a couple of seconds on most of the modern watches to lock in the GPS, even if you are in places that in the past would have been troublesome.

But the Apple Watch works too!

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 12:14 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Bas
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 12:17 AM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I use an Apple Watch series 5 and love it. I think their Nike Edition has a run specific app but I use Workoutdoors and find it is as reliable as my Garmin bike computer.

Honestly, it is so good as a workout HRM, I hardly ever feel the need to take the Garmin. Combined with the ability to leave my cell phone at home but still have music and podcasts is a game changer.

I did consider the new Garmin Fenix 6 but was put off on complaints of HRM sensor problems when doing activities that flexs the arm, such as strength workouts and xc skiing.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 01:14 AM   #13
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

I’ve been running with the Apple Watch. I try to do 15-20 miles a week and even compete virtually with some friends.

The Apple Watch & Nike Run Club app: GPS, Music, Money, Phone/Text, pace, mileage, heart rate and a nice post run summary with a MAP!...I’m not sure anything matches it when it comes to data and function.

The most liberating feeling for me is running outside without worrying about a wallet and phone.
Spartacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 01:32 AM   #14
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Finally got a Garmin watch for running/hiking and hopefully skiing this year and have really liked it. I went with the 645 music for the more reasonable 42mm size. Very easy to set up and link to Strava/Spotify. You can add a credit card and all the other smart watch functions, but I have those disabled so I don't get interrupted.

I get in about 30-40 miles a week and while I didn't need all the metrics, I find myself enjoying all the analytics it provides.

If you want a Smart Watch, it's hard to beat Apple. The downside is in GPS mode they don't last that long. I think 6-7 hours or something like that. With the Garmins you're 13-15 hours. So for just running/health tracking I like charging once or twice a week. With most tech stuff, if its more than 3 years old it's nearly obsolete now Enjoy the running
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 03:58 AM   #15
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
That is true. I did not consider that. My wife has an XR and it would indeed be uncomfortable.

Mine still works for that purpose because I’ve been refusing to upgrade for years as they are bigger than my liking now. I still use the original iPhone SE which was the same dimensions as the 5 and I don’t even notice it in my pocket running.
Old 6 November 2020, 10:36 AM   #16
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I've been running with Fenix 5X, it has been great and working very well. The latest Fenix 6 is better but its more money.

If you just want the running features, then I would look into Garmin 645 and the other running series.

Casio G-Shock GBH1000 also has some running feature, and good solar charging. But I found their running / tracking feature to be quite a bit behind Garmin.

If you want just simple running watch with GPS, Timex has some models that's very reasonably priced.

https://www.timex.com/gps-watches/

But I still like Garmin the best because you can connect to Garmin Connect to keep track of your process / history, track heart rate, step tracker, notification, etc.

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 10:50 AM   #17
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
GShock.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 10:53 PM   #18
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into them.
Old 6 November 2020, 11:06 PM   #19
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I agree with the others who have suggested using the phone. I have a running belt that fits the phone and keeps it tight without any movement. That way I can listen to music as well. That said I started using a Fitbit Charge 4 in conjunction with my phone app because of what the FitBit can do throughout the day. I believe the 4 is their only tracker with built in gps so you don’t need the phone. I wear it opposite my watch. It’s not big or bulky so I doesn’t look like I’m wearing two matches.

This is a link to the belt. I like it better than the arm bands. They never stayed in place and the phones are too big these days to strap on an arm and expect it to stay in place for four or five miles. I wear this between my undershirt and outer layer. Doesn’t move at all with a phone and wallet or keys.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B088B...b_b_asin_title
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 11:32 PM   #20
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been running for a long time. TBH, most weeks I run 4 miles on 3 days. I used to have a Timex Ironman. It was fine, and I knew my pace, so would always divide my running time by 8, and figure out how far (approximately) I ran. About 10 years ago, a buddy got me a Garmin GPS watch. I have been using that ever since, and it is good for gauging the distance on unfamiliar routes, and I am reminded when my pace changes (slows down, lol). It is, however, a PITA. It sometimes takes minutes to lock into a satellite, and the battery lasts MAYBE two runs. Oh and the bezel menu is annoyingly difficult to use. The last straw was that when I unpacked it after a trip south, the watch band had broken. So I need a new watch.

I guess I've come to like the GPS feature, but likely just need a basic watch. I'm not really looking to spend a lot on it, and will only use it for timing runs and maybe bike rides, and calculating distance if it's a GPS watch. I don't really care what it looks like.

Any suggestions? There are probably some cool features you can get these days, but I haven't shopped a running watch since about 1990.
I strap my phone to my upper arm and use strava combined with airpods pro and get an update every 500m from the strava lady.
Old 7 November 2020, 03:54 AM   #21
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
I've had the original Garmin Vivoactive for a while now. The reason I like it is because if its slim design and multi-sport feature so I can take it on the golf course. If I didn't golf then I'd purchase an Apple Watch.
Old 7 November 2020, 09:18 AM   #22
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Semi OT but still related to running, what do you guys use for hydration? I am running my runs with no water. It works ok for up to 7 - 8 miles, but not great. Anything longer would getting tougher and tougher.

And phone Armband will need replacement soon. I don't think I want to go for run belt because of the sweat.

I am looking into handheld bottle with pocket, but none of those can carry a "Plus" size iPhone.

Any idea?
Old 7 November 2020, 03:14 PM   #23
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I've been using a Garmin Fenix 6 for about 6 months now. To be honest, it does way more than I need it to, but I do find the stats entertaining. I often use it in conjunction with a chest strap heart monitor from Garmin that was around $50; the technology now is amazing. It tells me everything from stride length to how many milliseconds each foot hit the ground. Again, nothing I need to know, but it is interesting to dissect my runs. There's been days I'll have a stiff knee or back ache and it clearly shows in strike pattern etc.

I bought this watch primarily for exercise use and the map feature for hiking, but have found it has taken the spot of my primary watch now. It is virtually indestructible and I hate to admit it, but I really enjoy the smart features. I never thought there was a need to see a phone call or text on my watch (and I've made fun of my wife and her Apple watch for years lol), but it really comes in handy when I'm exercising or just busy doing something and a quick glance can let me know if it's worth stopping and getting my phone.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 03:22 PM   #24
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I think those run dynamic stat are useful. They do help improve run economic. And Garmin IQ has a Run Power data field that will give you a “run power number”. But the number can’t be compare with number from other brand’s calculation, and can’t be compared with cycling power number, because the calculation is an “estimate” base on a number of parameters.

But anyway, since I don’t race as a pro, those numbers are “fun and interesting” to look at. :)