The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 July 2020, 02:40 PM   #1
K3ndr1c
"TRF" Member

Date just 2 all have the same movement?

So I just purchased another Datejust 2 two tone with the Wimbledon dial, I have an stainless steel blue face fluted bezel. The one I just purchased is making a winding/humming noise but my other one the stainless steel no issues at all very smooth not a sound. What should I do thank again guys for chiming in. I’m curious if the they changed movement or does it just needs a service and overhaul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 39860D9E-CF13-44E1-B651-6ECBA0781DE1.jpeg (156.7 KB, 361 views)
K3ndr1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:02 PM   #2
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

As far as I know they would both have the cal. 3135. Maybe have it checked out by a watchmaker.

I love that blue dial!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:15 PM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
As far as I know they would both have the cal. 3135. Maybe have it checked out by a watchmaker.

I love that blue dial!

It's a bigger mainplate than the 3135. This one also only ever came with the paraflex shock absorber.

If the rotor is making funny noises on a 31×× that usually means the axle is dry and starts wearing, it could very well be the case that no further damage has been done. If you decide to start wearing it and the rotor will eventually (in a few months) start scraping the bridges.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Your two tones isn't a DJII but a DJ41 with the new 3235 movement.

On the right it's DJII with 3136 movement , "old" generation.

Try setting hour on both, you'll see that DJ41 turns counter clockwise from the crown, the DJII turns clockwise.
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:45 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The DJ41 with the cal 3235 has a ball bearing rotor perhaps thats the noise you are hearing, and quite normal for the 32 series movement.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 5 July 2020 at 09:48 PM..
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 06:03 PM   #6
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

It's a bigger mainplate than the 3135. This one also only ever came with the paraflex shock absorber.

If the rotor is making funny noises on a 31×× that usually means the axle is dry and starts wearing, it could very well be the case that no further damage has been done. If you decide to start wearing it and the rotor will eventually (in a few months) start scraping the bridges.
Thanks Bas, I didn’t know that!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 09:33 PM   #7
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post

Your two tones isn't a DJII but a DJ41 with the new 3235 movement.

On the right it's DJII with 3136 movement , "old" generation.

Try setting hour on both, you'll see that DJ41 turns counter clockwise from the crown, the DJII turns clockwise.
This. Your SS watch is a DJII that uses a 31xx series movement with axle rotor and your TT is DJ41 with 32xx series using ball bearing rotor. Ball bearing makes noise. Also as stated before, 32xx turns CCW to set time forward, 31xx turns CW.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 10:21 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
This. Your SS watch is a DJII that uses a 31xx series movement with axle rotor and your TT is DJ41 with 32xx series using ball bearing rotor. Ball bearing makes noise. Also as stated before, 32xx turns CCW to set time forward, 31xx turns CW.
Correct
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 10:36 PM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Good information here. Is there an advantage to the ball bearing over the axle rotor? Just wondering why they would switch over to something noisier if both function well?

OP those are two gorgeous watches. I have the same DJII as you and have always loved the Wimbledon dial TT.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 11:00 PM   #10
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Good information here. Is there an advantage to the ball bearing over the axle rotor? Just wondering why they would switch over to something noisier if both function well?

OP those are two gorgeous watches. I have the same DJII as you and have always loved the Wimbledon dial TT.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. Ball bearings are supposedly more efficient. Additionally they don't wear out the same way as axle. If axle wears out, rotor starts scraping on bridges (as mentioned by Bas aka SearChart) and then all that material finds its way into the movement. I think you're better off asking a watchmaker and/or reading some articles comparing movements to really learn advantages and disadvantages. I think biggest complaint with ball bearings is that they can be broken pretty easily with a hard knock which isn't an issue in and of itself, but the rotor on 32xx can only be replaced as a complete assembly according to Bas.
Old 5 July 2020, 11:02 PM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Both have advantages and disadvantages. Ball bearings are supposedly more efficient. Additionally they don't wear out the same way as axle. If axle wears out, rotor starts scraping on bridges (as mentioned by Bas aka SearChart) and then all that material finds its way into the movement. I think you're better off asking a watchmaker and/or reading some articles comparing movements to really learn advantages and disadvantages. I think biggest complaint with ball bearings is that they can be broken pretty easily with a hard knock which isn't an issue in and of itself, but the rotor on 32xx can only be replaced as a complete assembly according to Bas.
Thanks, like most things there is always and advantage and disadvantage. I have the axle rotor DJII. Any recommendation on service interval for that movement? I think mine is roughly six years old.

Old 5 July 2020, 11:19 PM   #12
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, like most things there is always and advantage and disadvantage. I have the axle rotor DJII. Any recommendation on service interval for that movement? I think mine is roughly six years old.

I have a watch with 31xx movement myself. I honestly don't know. Mine's a late example of 3186 and recommended interval is 10 years. I think I'll stick to that. If you wear yours daily, maybe service before that.
Old 5 July 2020, 11:50 PM   #13
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have a watch with 31xx movement myself. I honestly don't know. Mine's a late example of 3186 and recommended interval is 10 years. I think I'll stick to that. If you wear yours daily, maybe service before that.
Ok thanks. I think I will just send it in at 10 years then. I really only wear this watch at work and for dressier situations so probably no more than 3-4 mos/year. Sounds like 10 should be fine. Appreciate the reply.

Old 5 July 2020, 11:57 PM   #14
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

For the OP, that means service .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:04 AM   #15
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

Well they both look like DJ2’s to me. The blue dial defo is and the TT Wimbledon dial also a DJ2 by the looks of it, not a DJ41 as suggested in a previous post.
DJ2’s were, as has been already said, only ever fitted with the 3136 movement. No DJ2’s ever shipped with the newer movement with the ball raced rotor shaft.
FWIW I have a collection of DJ2’s and my TT Ivory dial, for some reason doesn’t wind as smooth as the other non TT DJ2’s in my collection, however there is nothing wrong with it other than variation between the various movements. I’ve seen and felt this on GMT’s as well.
As long as the rotor isn’t making a sound when the watch is gently rotated around, then there is no problem.
The rotor shaft in the DJ2 is supported by a ruby jewel which is lubricated. If the lubrications dries out, the ruby is tougher than the steel shaft it supports and the shaft will start to thin as it wears out, causing rotor wobble which you will likely hear as a small squeak from time to time and you may feel a slight grinding inside the case as the rotating mass spins. If that happens stop wearing it and take it for service.
It sound to me like your TT watch is fine, you are just experiencing a variation in the crown winding mechanism between the two watches.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 02:14 AM   #16
K3ndr1c
"TRF" Member

I just assumed it was a Datejust 2. But looking at the bezel it does seem abit smaller then my date just 2 and I heard about the humming/winding noise for Datejust 41. Does anyone have a picture of the two tone Datejust 41 Wimbledon let’s do some comparing but my bezel on the two tone looks a tad smaller imo. Thank for the input guys you guys are the best. Cheers
Old 6 July 2020, 02:23 AM   #17
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Here's a 41 if it helps

Old 6 July 2020, 11:06 AM   #18
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Well they both look like DJ2’s to me. The blue dial defo is and the TT Wimbledon dial also a DJ2 by the looks of it, not a DJ41 as suggested in a previous post.
DJ2’s were, as has been already said, only ever fitted with the 3136 movement. No DJ2’s ever shipped with the newer movement with the ball raced rotor shaft.
FWIW I have a collection of DJ2’s and my TT Ivory dial, for some reason doesn’t wind as smooth as the other non TT DJ2’s in my collection, however there is nothing wrong with it other than variation between the various movements. I’ve seen and felt this on GMT’s as well.
As long as the rotor isn’t making a sound when the watch is gently rotated around, then there is no problem.
The rotor shaft in the DJ2 is supported by a ruby jewel which is lubricated. If the lubrications dries out, the ruby is tougher than the steel shaft it supports and the shaft will start to thin as it wears out, causing rotor wobble which you will likely hear as a small squeak from time to time and you may feel a slight grinding inside the case as the rotating mass spins. If that happens stop wearing it and take it for service.
It sound to me like your TT watch is fine, you are just experiencing a variation in the crown winding mechanism between the two watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3ndr1c View Post
I just assumed it was a Datejust 2. But looking at the bezel it does seem abit smaller then my date just 2 and I heard about the humming/winding noise for Datejust 41. Does anyone have a picture of the two tone Datejust 41 Wimbledon let’s do some comparing but my bezel on the two tone looks a tad smaller imo. Thank for the input guys you guys are the best. Cheers
Answering to both of you simultaneously. OP's TT watch it definitely a DJ41. Look at the dial, specifically bottom below 6 o'clock marker. It says Swiss made with crown in between the Swiss and made. That only happens on newer Rolex watches with 32xx series movements. For DJ41 that doesn't even happen on all DJ41, only those made after I think last year. On DJ41 made before that there is a 30 minute marker between Swiss and made. On DJII the Swiss made is above the rail markings. So all in all, OP's TT watch is definitely a DJ41 and definitely a fresh one at that. And his SS watch is definitely a DJII with wide hour markers and Swiss made being above the rail markings.
Old 7 July 2020, 01:39 PM   #19
K3ndr1c
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for your guys info. I clearly love your expertise hahahah I bought it thinking it was Datejust 2 lol but now even better lol dj41
Old 8 July 2020, 07:07 AM   #20
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Answering to both of you simultaneously. OP's TT watch it definitely a DJ41. Look at the dial, specifically bottom below 6 o'clock marker. It says Swiss made with crown in between the Swiss and made. That only happens on newer Rolex watches with 32xx series movements. For DJ41 that doesn't even happen on all DJ41, only those made after I think last year. On DJ41 made before that there is a 30 minute marker between Swiss and made. On DJII the Swiss made is above the rail markings. So all in all, OP's TT watch is definitely a DJ41 and definitely a fresh one at that. And his SS watch is definitely a DJII with wide hour markers and Swiss made being above the rail markings.
You are indeed correct, I hadn’t noticed the crown between the Swiss and made on the dial. It’s a DJ41 for sure, so ball raced rotor, rendering most of what I wrote, redundant.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 07:27 AM   #21
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .
Rolex preferred the solid axle and bushing/jewel combination because it is virtually silent and trouble free if kept lubricated, and easy to replace.

Enthusiasts complained that they weren't coming into the new century with "modern" bearings and materials.

Now that they are changing, people are complaining about the changes.
Old 8 July 2020, 08:45 AM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex preferred the solid axle and bushing/jewel combination because it is virtually silent and trouble free if kept lubricated, and easy to replace.

Enthusiasts complained that they weren't coming into the new century with "modern" bearings and materials.

Now that they are changing, people are complaining about the changes.
Well then I guess I will have to stick to my old jalopy datejust ii