The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 January 2020, 12:08 AM   #1
royerlich
"TRF" Member

Japan vacation

Hey all. In spetember im in japan and i have a question to those who know. If i were to purchase a SBGA211 what kind of discount should i expect? Is a boutique the best place to purchase one? And is there a tax refund for tourists? Thank you

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
royerlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 07:56 AM   #2
venom79
"TRF" Member

Boutique will get you zero discount, but you get tax refund on the spot

You will have better luck with discount at gray market shops (Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Nakano shops for example), and you can get the best prices for regular models most probably at bic camera or yodobashi where you get tax refund plus 5% discount if you pay with credit card

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
venom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 08:53 AM   #3
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Don’t even bother trying to haggle in Japan, except with the Chinese sales assistants at the discount stores (Bic, Yodobashi). They’re big on the hard sell, and will usually drop the price within minutes, though not by much. You’ll get the 10% VAT refunded, but bare in mind that since the recent VAT hike most shops now set the sticker at the tax-free price. At Bic and Yodobashi you’ll save an extra 5% if you pay with a credit card, but they tend to have older, less in demand stock. I don’t think I’ve seen a Snowflake there, but then again I wasn’t paying close attention.

Have a good trip and happy hunting!
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Hosum
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGA387
IF you have time to spare and enjoy trying your luck with 'treasure hunting'... You can also try the second hand stores such as ippuukishi or daikokuya to get Grand Seikos at a pre-owned price. They are usually stocked full of Rolexes while the selection of Grand Seikos is much smaller, but sometimes there are some great/excellent condition pieces.
Hosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 05:34 PM   #5
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I found the main Shibuya Daikokuya (a few blocks up from the Scramble) to have a healthy selection of GS (and a bewildering selection of Rolex). Generally quite thin on the ground elsewhere.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote