The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 November 2019, 11:51 AM   #1
Tolex
Banned

Does an 8 year warranty actually matter? Concerning Richemont brands

As thread title,

JLC did it, and now it seems most brands like Cartier, IWC, and now Panerai are going to implement it.

I've skimmed through the 8 year warranty by JLC, and there are a fair bit of stipulations that are included. But my question is - say you received something that's defective with regard to manufacturing, wouldnt you realise it almost immediately? Would it take 8 years to realise?

Even then, if you experienced any issue at all say, 6 years down the road, wouldnt Richemont consider it as regular wear and tear of mechanical components?

Im just not understanding the real benefit of this 8 year warranty. If it covered all mechanical problems - regardless of wear and tear, then sure.

Anyone care to comment on this topic?
Tolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You're right.

Manufacturing defects are usually found within the first couple of years, so the length of time one is offered becomes a marketing tool.

Not sure if a 5 year vs a 8 or more year would really figure into a purchase if you are already looking at a particular brand.
Old 20 November 2019, 01:28 PM   #3
Gunnroseclose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolex View Post
As thread title,

JLC did it, and now it seems most brands like Cartier, IWC, and now Panerai are going to implement it.

I've skimmed through the 8 year warranty by JLC, and there are a fair bit of stipulations that are included. But my question is - say you received something that's defective with regard to manufacturing, wouldnt you realise it almost immediately? Would it take 8 years to realise?

Even then, if you experienced any issue at all say, 6 years down the road, wouldnt Richemont consider it as regular wear and tear of mechanical components?

Im just not understanding the real benefit of this 8 year warranty. If it covered all mechanical problems - regardless of wear and tear, then sure.

Maybe this policy worth to keep resale value. For example, you bought the watch for 5 years then you want to upgrade, you can advertise that the watch is still 3 years left in 8 years warranty
Gunnroseclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 02:07 PM   #4
batamer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnroseclose View Post
Maybe this policy worth to keep resale value. For example, you bought the watch for 5 years then you want to upgrade, you can advertise that the watch is still 3 years left in 8 years warranty

Actually this makes sense ! It is comforting to know that the watch you are buying secondhand has a warranty...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
batamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 02:46 PM   #5
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As thread title,

8 years free battery replacement for quartz movement.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 11:03 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

The same thing can be said for any consumer product with a warranty.

A longer warranty from the manufacturer gives the appearance of confidence in their product. Marketing 101.

There are products being made that I would never buy regardless of the warranty coverage.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 02:46 AM   #7
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I do a fair bit of analysis on warranty and return policies before we roll them out with our (much smaller) brands. I'm guessing the potential warranty liability on product past the first two years is negligible - making it a no-brainer win for marketing efforts. Given how old these companies are, they probably have a ton of usable data on returns/defects/frequency.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 04:06 AM   #8
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
There are products being made that I would never buy regardless of the warranty coverage.
Fiat and Jaguar cars come to mind.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 07:46 AM   #9
MTBer
"TRF" Member

When I bought by Reverso in January, I thought the 2 year warranty was a bit weak for the brand considering Rolex and Omega are up to 5 now. So, I was happy to see the extension to 8 years for JLC and for my watch to be grandfathered in.

But as others have pointed out, instances of early failure i.e., infant mortality, will have already occurred during the standard 2 year warranty period anyway. Given that JLC seems to be purposely vague with respect to accuracy standards despite mention of chronometric testing during their 1000 Hour Control testing, I’m inclined to believe that exercising any benefits ostensibly granted by the extended warranty may prove difficult in practice.

When it comes to guaranteeing accuracy, I think Rolex with their +2/-2 standard and Omega with METAS are as good as it gets. More expensive/higher end brands are just wearable art that are probably more delicate and certainly more expensive to service.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote