The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 22 January 2009, 10:57 PM   #31
nylawbiz

Watch: too many
From my point of view, Rolex watches have slowly evolved over the years. Almost every improvement can be dismissed as marketing hype. For example, how many people have ever used a helium escape valve? Or ventured to the depths that our Rolexes are rated? Or even used graduated bezels on an Explorer, Daytona or Submariner? Or ever looked at the decorative designwork on the movement? I feel that each time Rolex makes an improvement to their timepieces it s another step in the evolution of the Rolex horology.

It is the engineering (or over-engineering) in the miniscule mechanical device on my wrist that adds greatly to the pleasure of owning a fine watch.

Instead of defending or attacking a hairspring, I suggest we have faith in Rolex that there is more to their engineering improvements than just hype. Sure they hype and promote each improvment, that's their business. But I have faith that Rolex would not promote an "improvement" as such, unless there is actual merit to the assertion. I believe they have that level of integrity and honesty.

One man's opinion anyway,

Cheers,

Brian
nylawbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 12:17 AM   #32
Moto
Banned

Watch: SS GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
What's with the attitude, tiger?

Wind your neck in before I wind it in for you. I'm only in the habit of saying things nicely ONCE.
Excuse me?

Looking over your posts you seem somewhat abrasive. Maybe snarkily attacking people's thoughts and opinions line by line and making veiled threats is not a suitable role for a moderator.

But don't worry, I'm only going to say this once.
Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 12:22 AM   #33
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Let's see, that's six points for trying to push padi's buttons, plus six for the temerity of presuming to dictate the role of a moderator ....

Whoops, guess it was neither veiled nor a threat. You're right thing about one thing, though - you WILL only say it once.
Old 23 January 2009, 01:31 AM   #34
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
i, for one, am quite angry that my rolex has a little bit of swatch in it. come next service, i shall demand that it be fitted with a genuine rolex hairspring!
Cannot understand why its only a name and its from a manufacture thats part of a well respected group of Swiss watch manufactures.And if it was not for the ETA Nivarox escapement parts doubt if there would be a Swiss mechanical watch industry over the past 50 years.But now several independent manufactures have started now to make there own under a few different names.Mainly to become totally in-house made and not rely on the Swatch group.Your Rolex is still the same as it been for the past 50 years, simply one of the most reliable accurate and long lasting watches in this world today.So by having a part from the Swatch group in any Rolex there must be million upon million of very satisfied customers, judging there world wide sales over the past few decades.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 01:48 AM   #35
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by buz-lh View Post
Triplock's points are well made but I thought the blue color came from oxidation of the materials used and is not added for "packaging".....just a natural occurance.
This is frequently true as the bluing can be part of the oxidation process. Bluing, such as the screws and other parts, used to be an indication of a finely crafted movement...

However, it is not true here. The original hairsprings in the early releases (2000-2004) were not blued and has been controversial for the Daytona.

The Parachrom hairspring was intentionally blued and called the Parachrom Bleu specifically for marketing position and release in the newly up-dated 116710.

It has been wildly successful, they have managed, with their Parachrom Bleu marketing, to take the ho-hum sales of the GMT and launch it into the stratosphere.

It is not because of the "new clasp".... Daytonas, Day-Dates, YM II's, Jubilees, all had new clasps first, and even now, the Air-King, Explorer, etc. are all getting upgrades without fan-fare..

Bluing the hairspring, marketing, and launching it in the GMT II was sheer genius...........
.......................and that's all evidenced by the comments on these pages and the frenzy for the 16710 GMT just because they might get one with a blue hairspring...

Old 23 January 2009, 02:55 AM   #36
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Cannot understand why its only a name and its from a manufacture thats part of a well respected group of Swiss watch manufactures.And if it was not for the ETA Nivarox escapement parts doubt if there would be a Swiss mechanical watch industry over the past 50 years.But now several independent manufactures have started now to make there own under a few different names.Mainly to become totally in-house made and not rely on the Swatch group.Your Rolex is still the same as it been for the past 50 years, simply one of the most reliable accurate and long lasting watches in this world today.So by having a part from the Swatch group in any Rolex there must be million upon million of very satisfied customers, judging there world wide sales over the past few decades.
Padi, i was just kidding around - the nivarox in my 3130 works pretty darn good at around plus 1 a day. next time i'll use one of those laughing smilies.

Last edited by cody p; 23 January 2009 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: typo
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 03:28 AM   #37
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Let's see, that's six points for trying to push padi's buttons, plus six for the temerity of presuming to dictate the role of a moderator ....

Whoops, guess it was neither veiled nor a threat. You're right thing about one thing, though - you WILL only say it once.
Saw that coming a mile away! He forgot to end his statement with this -->

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 05:15 AM   #38
Mirx
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCowboy99 View Post
3. To Let TRF members "brag" by putting in the signature line they have a 3186 with a 16710. (note: GMTIIc have it but the 3186 doesn't get mentioned. )
Love it!!
Mirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 07:17 AM   #39
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I said:

Quote:
Someone tell me my Z Daytona has a blue hairspring or I'll cry

Tapping foot.....
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 08:15 AM   #40
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

red spring, blue spring, steel spring dead spring. As long as my trusty Sd keep perfect time, and it does. I dont need no stinking Blue spring.
Parachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 08:31 AM   #41
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I said:

Tapping foot.....

The daytonas were the first to get them, your Z Daytona will have one fitted.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 08:39 AM   #42
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Thanks Ryan!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 08:40 PM   #43
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parachrom View Post
red spring, blue spring, steel spring dead spring. As long as my trusty Sd keep perfect time, and it does. I dont need no stinking Blue spring.
Now that I 100% agree with you lets be perfectly honest here. If any watch Rolex or any other performs to the COSC standard, what more could you ask from a mechanical watch.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 23 January 2009, 09:29 PM   #44
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This is frequently true as the bluing can be part of the oxidation process. Bluing, such as the screws and other parts, used to be an indication of a finely crafted movement...

However, it is not true here. The original hairsprings in the early releases (2000-2004) were not blued and has been controversial for the Daytona.

The Parachrom hairspring was intentionally blued and called the Parachrom Bleu specifically for marketing position and release in the newly up-dated 116710.

It has been wildly successful, they have managed, with their Parachrom Bleu marketing, to take the ho-hum sales of the GMT and launch it into the stratosphere.

It is not because of the "new clasp".... Daytonas, Day-Dates, YM II's, Jubilees, all had new clasps first, and even now, the Air-King, Explorer, etc. are all getting upgrades without fan-fare..

Bluing the hairspring, marketing, and launching it in the GMT II was sheer genius...........
.......................and that's all evidenced by the comments on these pages and the frenzy for the 16710 GMT just because they might get one with a blue hairspring...

Indeed the early Parachrom hairsprings on the 4130 movement were not blue but according to this article by John Holbrook http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/pa...parachrom.html the additional layer of oxygen (which resulted in a natural bluing) was added to increase the long term stability of the oscillator even further. Is this true or untrue? I would really like to know as a fact whether the bluing is just marketing or is a technical improvement. Thanks.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2009, 10:07 PM   #45
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

After reading that article and the pages from Rolex, I think the blueing must surely be a technical improvement. Rolex is what it is because of its brilliant engineers, and until I have a reason to doubt them, I'll accept what they say. Excellent reading, btw. Thanks for posting that link.
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2009, 05:52 AM   #46
Alex49
"TRF" Member

I think that the whole discussion about accuracy has to be seen in a bit another light as well: As I live in Switzerland and I love precision I bought a Rolex GMT a few years ago. To have it regulated I did not wnt to go to the shop where I bought it but I went directly to the factory in Geneva. It seemed that the loved customers like me as i was asked to come back any time to have my watch regulated even better. So I did. Butttttttt: Afte 3 years or so (maybe 4) the accuracy is not where it was after my visit in Geneva. The moral of the story: The precision is always a question of a few moths or years. Then the whole story restarts from zero.
Cheers Alex
Alex49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2009, 01:09 PM   #47
weizhen77

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
So, is there anyway to tell/test whether your Rolex has a parachrome without opening up the watch?

...putting a magnet near it to see whether it continues to tick?
weizhen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2009, 03:17 PM   #48
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by weizhen77 View Post

putting a magnet near it to see whether it continues to tick?

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2009, 07:54 PM   #49
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by weizhen77 View Post
So, is there anyway to tell/test whether your Rolex has a parachrome without opening up the watch?

...putting a magnet near it to see whether it continues to tick?
Nivarox is the name for the alloy that the hairsprings are made from much like Rolex calling theres parachrome.Now Nivarox alloy is made from s.steel alloys mixed with Cobolt,Nickel,Chromium,Titanium,and Beryllium and 99.99% non-magnetic.Now with the balance wheel made from a metal called Glucydur so Rolex watches without the Parachrome hairspring were 99.99% anti-magnetic to start with.

And most Swiss watches including Rolex are tested to
the ISO 764 magnetic resistant watch standard.This standard has been used for many years.The complete cased watch must resist exposition to a direct current magnetic field of 4,800 A/m (Ampere per meter). And I am 100% sure that 98% of average wearers would never come into contact with such a strong magnetic field.I have seen several post where there watches have been between +5 + 10 secs a day fast.And they were told there watches were magnetised IMHO I would doubt it.If a watches get magnetised symptoms run very erratic generally speed up and not by a few second.Or come to a complete stop and refuse to start.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 July 2009, 01:35 AM   #50
weizhen77

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Great infos Padi

Think I don't have to worry too much about using my sling bag that is having magnetic front flap.
weizhen77 is offline   Reply With Quote