The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 31 January 2010, 07:25 AM   #31
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Makes me wonder if these ceramic bezels could withstand sudden shock cooling.Like being cooled to subzero temps, then emersed into warm water.Not gonna try, but reasoning tells me that they wouldnt do so good.
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 07:58 AM   #32
Sub'erman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various SUBs
terrible pics!!!
Everyone's nightmare!!!
A replacement is very expensive!!! easy 5 - 6 hundred $ ( maybe more)
"Not all that is countable, counts; and not all that counts, is countable"
Sub'erman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2011, 03:58 AM   #33
skillzlikewhoa
"TRF" Member

Hi I am new to the Rolex forum I just bought my friends Rolex Deepsea and it has a similar problem. There is a crack on the left corner of white circle on the top of the bezel. It is not a big crack and i am more concerned for cosmetic reasons then any dive complications. Does any one know a estimate on a repair price and the time I will have to leave it to be fixed. Also can they just change that circle it is encased in metal or will i have to get a new bezel insert or something like that. I don't have a relationship with any particular AD but the guy i bought it from got it at tournou. I heard there very reputable but over priced. Any help on this matter would appreciated sorry for all the questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6798.jpg (165.2 KB, 454 views)
skillzlikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2011, 04:48 AM   #34
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
While we are discussing this, I would like to ask if a guy could replace the Ceramic Bezel with a steel one? Say from the earlier Sea Dweller.

I'm afraid that ceramic insert is going to be a bit pricey from an Ad.

I'm sure Steve Mulholland should have some info on this.
The Deep Sea is a bigger watch than the old Seadweller, so I don't think the bezel inserts are interchangeable.

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2011, 04:50 AM   #35
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzlikewhoa View Post
Hi I am new to the Rolex forum I just bought my friends Rolex Deepsea and it has a similar problem. There is a crack on the left corner of white circle on the top of the bezel. It is not a big crack and i am more concerned for cosmetic reasons then any dive complications. Does any one know a estimate on a repair price and the time I will have to leave it to be fixed. Also can they just change that circle it is encased in metal or will i have to get a new bezel insert or something like that. I don't have a relationship with any particular AD but the guy i bought it from got it at tournou. I heard there very reputable but over priced. Any help on this matter would appreciated sorry for all the questions.
Looks like the crystal is chipped as well. I betif you took that watch to RSC they would recommend changing that as well as the bezel.

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2011, 05:08 AM   #36
skillzlikewhoa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
Looks like the crystal is chipped as well. I betif you took that watch to RSC they would recommend changing that as well as the bezel.
Not to sound like a noob buy what is RSC? I had the crystal checked it's a scratch not a chip but I would still like it fixed. Does any one know how much it would be to change out the crystal with installation.
Old 14 March 2011, 05:24 AM   #37
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Sorry to hear about this. Yes, as some have suggested, take it back to the AD soonest. Pls let us know what the AD did or did not do to help resolve this issue. Isn't ther bezel insert made of ceramic that is supposed to a strong material used for that purpose?

Anyhoot, best of luck to ya!
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2011, 12:23 PM   #38
Rogue884
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 & 116660
Diving is a contact sport . . . . . . seriously, when you are gearing up, and when you are gearing down. Your slinging steel, nickel plated brass, and aluminum all over the place, and its easy to knock your wrist into something and not notice it, especially if your wearing your watch over a dry-suit or wetsuit. If your on a cattle boat with other divers, then you get a full on assault from the guy next to you, add if the boat is a rocking, ten fold.

That being said it is very easy to get your gear banged up and not notice it because your focused on so many things. Getting your gear together, getting in your gear, checking your budd's gear, sweating your but off, listening to the captain and divemaster, getting up, getting to the platform, getting your fins while the boat is a rockin, and then finally taking the giant stride. Thats just getting off the boat If you are the occassional vacation diver, its even more stressfull, because not your doing on a regular basis.

Don't sweat the small stuff, get it fixed and move on, I know it sucks, BOHICA

"The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing" - Warren Miller
Rogue884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2011, 08:48 PM   #39
petespendthrift

The problem with a big and thick watch (other than reduced comfort) is that they get bashed around and hooked up on equipment straps a lot more than a smaller one. This gives them a hard life. The raised luminous capsule in the ceramic inserts causes a weakness because it protrudes enough to get knocked and then transmits the entire force of the knock to a small area (that is already weakened by having a hole in it).

The other design flaws, like the bezel that turns too easily and also the very high cost and finally the obsolete nature of this type of diving equipment make it hard to accept that Rolex intend this new model to be an actual working diving watch.
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2011, 10:00 PM   #40
BH13GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn
Quote:
Not to sound like a noob buy what is RSC? I had the crystal checked it's a scratch not a chip but I would still like it fixed. Does any one know how much it would be to change out the crystal with installation.
Rolex Servivce Centre (Center in the USA)

Rolex Sub 1680, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Rolex Datejust 16220 Salmon Dial (the Mrs), Tudor BB58, Tudor Pelagos Blue and Several Seiko's
"last one in the chopper is a rotten egg" Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
BH13GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 05:01 AM   #41
skillzlikewhoa
"TRF" Member

Update
I tried 2 different ADs and they both say they'll have to replace the whole bezel. They won't even give me a estimate. They said it takes 3 weeks after being sent in to Rolex to even get a price. I don't know what to do i want it fixed but i dont wanna send it out to find out it is a grand for the bezel. Both ADs professional opinion was to just keep it as is scince it's minimal and has no function. What are you guys suggestions?
Old 15 March 2011, 07:26 AM   #42
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
The ceramic bezel is a Rolex only replacement part. I has to be sent to Rolex for repair. The insert alone is about 3 to 4 hundred installed and a bezel complete is approximately 600. The bezel has nothing to do with water resistance if you're going to dive alot I wouldn't replace it till it needs a service. Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 07:42 AM   #43
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

These ADssss ugg,
Since you are in NY, call NY RSC. Ask for the service manager. Be very specific: What is the price for an insert and crystal for a deep sea. They might say they will not replace the crystal without service. Ask them what the cost is for a crystal and insert at service then. Is the watch still under warranty?
Contact Info:

Rolex Watch Usa Inc Business Information
Name: Rolex Watch Usa Inc
Address: 665 5th Ave # 6
City: New York

State: New York, US

Zip Code: 10022
Telephone: (212) 758-7700
Fax: (212) 371-0371
URL: n/a
Categories: Watches (Wholesale)

Services: n/a
Products: n/a
Brands: n/a
Nearest Major Intersection: 52nd St E & Madison Ave
Coordinates: 40.760210, -73.975977
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 08:57 AM   #44
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyslam View Post
You think Rolex sometimes forget that people actually use these watches as a tool??
I'd venture to say that less than 1% of these watches are used for diving. Not too many Speedmasters used for timing races either!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 11:00 AM   #45
skillzlikewhoa
"TRF" Member

Thanx cave diver I'll try that tomorrow. Widows son your absolutely right I dive a few times a year but I'll never even reach half this watch potential. It's a beautiful time piece I like it for it's style and class. I drive a Porsche but I'll never go 180mph it's all about finding the things that make you happy in life and utilizing them to suit your needs. Not saying material things make you happy love, friendship, and honor are most important but toys are hella fun lol.
Old 15 March 2011, 03:48 PM   #46
Rogue884
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
I'd venture to say that less than 1% of these watches are used for diving. Not too many Speedmasters used for timing races either!!!
I'm a 1 percenter

"The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing" - Warren Miller
Old 15 March 2011, 03:50 PM   #47
DoubleRedRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
The ceramic bezel is a Rolex only replacement part. I has to be sent to Rolex for repair. The insert alone is about 3 to 4 hundred installed and a bezel complete is approximately 600. The bezel has nothing to do with water resistance if you're going to dive alot I wouldn't replace it till it needs a service. Rik
I agree 100%

I read a while back that another member on one of the forums broke his GMT2c insert after he dropped the watch on a tile floor. When he sent it to Rolex they wanted to full service it (to make sure the movement was ok after the fall) at a cost of $1200 give or take, inc bezel and insert.

I have not owned a ceramic rolex yet as I am a vintage guy, so I cant say if its more durable than the old metal inserts, but if i had a new Sub or GMT then i would be really carefull with it.

Lonnie
DoubleRedRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 08:19 PM   #48
petespendthrift

Quote:
... I'll never even reach half this watch potential...
Let me correct that for you:

Maximum safe depth for normal recreational diving: 40M
Depth rating of DSSD : 3900M

Means you will never reach more than 1% of what the watch is capable of.

Professional saturation divers may get to work at up to 7% of the watches capability in exceptional circumstances.

No amount of technology will ever change this as its our physiological limitations. Over engineered - just a bit!
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2011, 12:23 PM   #49
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
I love my DS but the ceramic is the part which I believe is the weakest part.
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2011, 01:06 PM   #50
Rogue884
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
Let me correct that for you:

Maximum safe depth for normal recreational diving: 40M
Depth rating of DSSD : 3900M

Means you will never reach more than 1% of what the watch is capable of.

Professional saturation divers may get to work at up to 7% of the watches capability in exceptional circumstances.

No amount of technology will ever change this as its our physiological limitations. Over engineered - just a bit!
Its not what the watch is capable of, its what the watchmaker is capable of building

Old 18 March 2011, 07:03 PM   #51
DoubleRedRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue884 View Post
Its not what the watch is capable of, its what the watchmaker is capable of building

Not anymore!! Welcome to the future of Rolex!

Rolex's for the most part are very simple compared to some other ultra high end brands... All flashy and glossy... not like the old days.. those real tool watches are what made Rolex what it is today.

Lonnie
DoubleRedRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2011, 07:48 PM   #52
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
oH...that hurts...both wallet and my heart...aluminium didnt sound too bad at all seeing this...
wokafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 12:55 AM   #53
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleRedRolex View Post
I agree 100%

I read a while back that another member on one of the forums broke his GMT2c insert after he dropped the watch on a tile floor. When he sent it to Rolex they wanted to full service it (to make sure the movement was ok after the fall) at a cost of $1200 give or take, inc bezel and insert.

I have not owned a ceramic rolex yet as I am a vintage guy, so I cant say if its more durable than the old metal inserts, but if i had a new Sub or GMT then i would be really carefull with it.

Lonnie
Although the prices would be outdated now, here's a ballmark figure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
Are you sure the pictured bezel component is from a GMTII bezel assembly?
It does look like part of the bezel assembly for the YMII.
It does`nt match any of the components shown in the diagram above. I have had to remove bezels from both of these watches in the past.
£600 for the insert is not right, thats closer to the price for the complete bezel.
The ceramic inserts are, like the previous generation a friction fit and push out from behind.
The retail price for the ceramic insert for a SS GMTII is £375 ($734) + plus applicable taxes in your country.
The retail price for the bezel complete for a SS GMTII is £676 ($1324) + plus applicable taxes in your country.
Prices quoted are from Rolex material dept as of today.
Pretty pricey, huh. So all of you GMT II ceramic owners out there be careful with your watches!!!!
It will certainly make me think twice about changing the insert when the two colour versions become available. (even with my staff discount!!!!)

From this thread:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ost#post412319
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 05:56 AM   #54
renfield33
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Pepsi
i think the GMTIIc bezel has platinum in it. does the deepsea?
Old 19 March 2011, 07:14 AM   #55
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Yup, it does.
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 07:22 AM   #56
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Yup, it does.
As Bo said...It sure does!!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 11:13 AM   #57
Michael M.
Banned

Ouch!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 01:58 PM   #58
Rogue884
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleRedRolex View Post
Not anymore!! Welcome to the future of Rolex!

Rolex's for the most part are very simple compared to some other ultra high end brands... All flashy and glossy... not like the old days.. those real tool watches are what made Rolex what it is today.

Lonnie
I would disagree, strongly. Its predecesor, original Rolex Deep Sea Special, seems pretty on par with Rolex heritage. Continuing to push boundries.

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch...ep-sea-special

Old 21 March 2011, 11:01 AM   #59
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

ceramic bezel inserts are much more expensive than the older alloy ones you are looking at 650-700 dollars, compared to 100 dollars for the older alloy type goodluck with it all
crowncollection is offline   Reply With Quote