The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 October 2019, 11:30 PM   #31
Bigblu10
Banned

I can tell you certain insurance in the US covers them. My mother's husband has them and I was told he did not pay out of pocket.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 01:40 AM   #32
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I'm not sure tbh, being in the army, I had many hearing tests and could see the gradual decline, there probably were signs, I either didnt see them or have forgotten. What I will say is, take good care of your hearing, take no chances, once damaged, it can't be repaired.

I'm sorry, not much help in my answer. If you do have concerns, I would get hearing checked straight away.
Thank you

I hope you find a long term improvement.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 01:48 AM   #33
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

My boss recently got them and they are barely noticable. They are small little grey ones that sit behind his ear. They are also bluetooth and connected to his phone and laptop so he can listen to things and make calls etc. without anyone else hearing it. It always throws me when he starts talking on a call and I think he's talking to me for a few seconds.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2019, 07:40 PM   #34
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Just an update.

I trialed 3 different manufacturers hearing aids, to be honest there wasn't a lot of difference between them, all made my hearing considerably better, all had apps that work well with but an iPhone has a dedicated part in the settings especially for hearing aids which is very good, I am a big fan of Android but changed to an iPhone because of this facility.

As with anything, it is good to take ones time and consult with good professionals. I had my new hearing aids fitted a week ago, for me, they are a big change, I hear sounds I have missed for years.

On pricing. I find that they are similar to cable/satellite packages in that the most desirable functions are the most expensive, for example, films cost the most on tv packages, hearing in restaurants/party's is the most expensive in hearing aids (they cut out background noise to an extent in this mode)

I started off in critical mode. I didnt want to be spending a lot of money on something that only gives me a slight advance, although not in the league of a Sub, we are talking more money than a new Seamaster. There is a big difference (to me) we have been out a couple of times with friends, for the first time in a long time, I was part of the group/conversation. My hair isn't long, the behind the ear one's I have couldn't be seen by my friends, one person didnt believe me until I pulled my ear forward to show her.

If one has hearing loss, I would go to a company that trials them and see if they make a difference, one has nothing to lose. For those in the UK, even if you don't want to spend any money, I would certainly get a set of NHS hearing aids if you have hearing loss.

In iOS, it is found in Settings> Accessability> Hearing Devices.

An iPhone isn't essential, the app for all the hearing aids I tried was very good on Android, I just preferred the extra connectivity on the iPhone but honestly, it's not a big deal. A pic of the app controls below.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 02:25 AM   #35
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Congrats Dave, I'm glad you found the ones that work for you.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 03:06 AM   #36
BBBlue
Banned

Watch: Tag Heuer Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
After many years in the army exposed to large bangs and the like, my hearing is quite poor, I also suffer from Tinitus so have decided that quality of life comes first and will be getting tested and fitted with some hearing aids. Having a look around the web, these things are not cheap, ranging from 1500 to 4 grand a pair so would appreciate any member that has any experience with hearing aids, could be personal experience or parents.

If it improves your life, the cost isn't that important
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 06:53 AM   #37
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm very sorry to hear what you had to go through, Dave. This is something I'll keep in mind as time goes on, without a doubt.

I'm so glad to see that in the end you found what works best for you and it was able to bring back what was missing.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:40 AM   #38
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I saw an audiologist two weeks ago. My hearing loss was profound on the audiogram, consistent with age and the traumatic brain injury I sustained nine years go. I picked up behind-the-ear Phonak hearing aids today, and the difference is astounding. They are almost invisible and are rechargeable. I can hear quiet high frequency speech beautifully, and my stereo sounds incredible. I was seriously considering purchasing a new phono cartridge thinking that mine was worn out. Ambient noises are LOUD. Light switches, running water, footsteps and other day-to-day sounds will take some getting used to. Overall, I am thrilled with the results.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 08:12 AM   #39
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I saw an audiologist two weeks ago. My hearing loss was profound on the audiogram, consistent with age and the traumatic brain injury I sustained nine years go. I picked up behind-the-ear Phonak hearing aids today, and the difference is astounding. They are almost invisible and are rechargeable. I can hear quiet high frequency speech beautifully, and my stereo sounds incredible. I was seriously considering purchasing a new phono cartridge thinking that mine was worn out. Ambient noises are LOUD. Light switches, running water, footsteps and other day-to-day sounds will take some getting used to. Overall, I am thrilled with the results.
Please forgive me for not updating this thread. My experience mirrors yours my friend. I got some hearing aids and have found it to be a life changing experience, more so than new eye glasses. In terms of conversation, I am back in the room again and can feel part of the conversation. Music? The difference is indescribable. It doesn't matter the make of hearing aids, I would imagine all will claim that there's is the best. All I know is, what a difference.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 09:42 AM   #40
Lawrence of Alabama
"TRF" Member

Wow. I was born half deaf and the doctor said id be stone deaf by 30. Well I’m 52 and still hanging on but I’m pretty bad off. I guess seeing The Who live and myself playing guitar in bands over the years hasn’t helped. I heard that I may qualify for disability.. I constantly piss people off because I can’t hear them.
Lawrence of Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 11:20 AM   #41
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Alabama View Post
Wow. I was born half deaf and the doctor said id be stone deaf by 30. Well I’m 52 and still hanging on but I’m pretty bad off. I guess seeing The Who live and myself playing guitar in bands over the years hasn’t helped. I heard that I may qualify for disability.. I constantly piss people off because I can’t hear them.
My hearing worsened markedly over the last year and a half. A friend got hearing aids and encouraged me to get checked. I’ve had them one day and I’m thrilled. If you haven’t seen an audiologist, it’s worth a visit. My loss is sensorineural due to a head injury, and it’s very correctable with new technology.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:25 AM   #42
Lawrence of Alabama
"TRF" Member

I’ll look into hearing aids, thanks. Had them when I was younger but they were horrible.
Lawrence of Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 11:34 AM   #43
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Alabama View Post
I’ll look into hearing aids, thanks. Had them when I was younger but they were horrible.
The technology today is amazing. The audiologist tuned mine according to my audiogram on a computer. At one point, there were about 20 various charts and graphs on the screen as she dialed in the frequencies and volumes I needed and turned down the ones I didn’t. I’m a retired physician, and though I’m familiar with the ear and its diseases, I’m surprised by the natural sound she achieved.