The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 June 2017, 11:28 AM   #1
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

Help with 1975 Tudor Ranger II

Hi folks,

I jumped into the Tudor game and I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew.

I purchased what I thought is a 1975 Tudor Ranger II Automatic Prince Oysterdate.

The model reference number is 9111/1.

The serial number is 837534. This matches the serial numbers from 1975 which run from 830000.

Key concerns: terrible text on the case back. "Stainless steel" looks like it was engraved by a child with Parkinson's. The text on the movement looks very amateur as well.

I actually have no idea if this watch is authentic and if the parts are original.

The seller guarantees that it is, but I am quite out of my depth. I'm attaching some photos provided by the seller.

The watch is currently en route and I'm pretty gosh darn nervous.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Beers on me if anyone is passing through Vancouver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TUDOR RANGER II.jpg (75.7 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg TUDOR RANGER II MOVEMENT 2.jpg (109.9 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg TUDOR RANGER II MOVEMENT .jpg (105.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg TUDOR RANGER II CASEBACK.jpg (89.9 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg TUDOR RANGER II CASEBACK INSIDE.jpg (68.3 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg 1. TUDOR RANGER II .jpg (82.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg TUDOR RANGER II CROWN.jpg (48.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg TUDOR RANGER II SIDE.jpg (73.9 KB, 232 views)
whowatchesthewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Hi,
Your watch looks genuine, but the strap is not. Here's a pic of what it should look like. The integrated steel bracelet will not be easy to find, unfortunately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2507.JPG (233.9 KB, 236 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 12:33 PM   #3
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I guess you owe Adam a beer
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 12:55 PM   #4
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

I can't seem to find my reply so here goes again.

Thanks so much for the boosted confidence. If I could track down a legit bracelet, I'd love to do that, but right now I'm just happy that the watch isn't some counterfeit rookie watch buyer trap.

Do you have any advice on how I can do some amateur sleuthing to authenticate this watch further? I'm obviously wet behind the ears, but I'm down to put in e-legwork. My local watch shop is asking $150 for their authentication service.

If this forum of experts, and particularly someone with your forum pedigree, thinks this watch is legit I will gladly pass on the formal authentication and get down to buying a cool strap for this little lady.

I'm going to name her Baby Prezzie. In the hopes that one day I can afford her big, audaciously gaudy, 18karat sister.

Contact me if you're ever in Vancouver and I will get you thoroughly sloshed. We've got some great local breweries.

Last edited by whowatchesthewatcher; 30 June 2017 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: consistency
Old 30 June 2017, 01:24 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowatchesthewatcher View Post
I can't seem to find my reply so here goes again.

Thanks so much for the boosted confidence. If I could track down a legit bracelet, I'd love to do that, but right now I'm just happy that the watch isn't some counterfeit rookie watch buyer trap.

Do you have any advice how I can do some amateur sleuthing to authenticate this watch further? I'm obviously wet behind the ears, but I'm down to put in e-legwork. My local watch shop is asking $150 for their authentication service.

If this forum of experts, and particularly someone with your forum pedigree, thinks this watch is legit I will gladly pass on the formal authentication and get down to buying a cool strap for this little fella.

I'm going to name her Baby Prezzie. In the hopes that one day I can afford her big, audaciously gaudy, 18karat sister.

Contact me if you're ever in Vancouver and I will get you thoroughly sloshed. We've got some great local breweries.
We're always happy to help here, if we can. Is there a Rolex Service Centre near you? If so, you should take it there for a (what should be free) quote on a service/overhaul. That will give you peace of mind about authenticity, even if the price is too high and you decline the quote. In a perfect world they would also have a new old-stock bracelet lying around. Otherwise, I would get a strapmaker to custom make one for it.
Old 30 June 2017, 01:34 PM   #6
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
We're always happy to help here, if we can. Is there a Rolex Service Centre near you? If so, you should take it there for a (what should be free) quote on a service/overhaul. That will give you peace of mind about authenticity, even if the price is too high and you decline the quote. In a perfect world they would also have a new old-stock bracelet lying around. Otherwise, I would get a strapmaker to custom make one for it.
That is a great suggestion. I will contact my nearest Rolex Service Center (which I just googled) as soon as the watch arrives.

I didn't realize that strapmakers could make metal bracelets. I thought most of their work was confined to leather and synthetic textiles. Fascinating. Would you recommend any particular makers?
Old 30 June 2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
That is a great suggestion. I will contact my nearest Rolex Service Center (which I just googled) as soon as the watch arrives.

I didn't realize that strapmakers could make metal bracelets. I thought most of their work was confined to leather and synthetic textiles. Fascinating. Would you recommend any particular makers?
Sorry I wasn't clear, I mean leather.
Old 30 June 2017, 01:50 PM   #8
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

That's quite all right my soon-to-be beer soaked friend.

Do you mind sharing your favourite strapmakers?
Old 30 June 2017, 02:10 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
That's quite all right my soon-to-be beer soaked friend.

Do you mind sharing your favourite strapmakers?
I have never had a strap made, but you could start a new thread in the Open Discussion Forum asking for opinions.
Old 30 June 2017, 02:14 PM   #10
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

Ok. Will do. If anyone else has any thoughts on my initial post, please chime in. The beer offers stands.

Old Expat Beast,

Thanks for a warm introduction to the Rolex Forums.

Last edited by whowatchesthewatcher; 30 June 2017 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: obsessive compulsion
Old 30 June 2017, 02:49 PM   #11
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I have never had a strap made, but you could start a new thread in the Open Discussion Forum asking for opinions.
Before this thread dies a natural death, do you have any idea why the text on the case back ('Stainless Steel') and on the movement seem so amateurish?

Are the letters degraded from time/rough use?
Old 30 June 2017, 08:40 PM   #12
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I have a similar Tudor. Yours is legit. Completely. The model has a slash1 at the end. This means gold plate. This is why the back says stainless. The printing is fine; your ref to Parkinson's made me barf a bit in my mouth though. You need Tudor band 9587 I think. The come up on eBay. The issue is that it needs these funny bars inserted in the endlink. It's a weak design in these watches. They all seem to be worn and wobbly. Hence yours has this unique band on it. Enjoy the watch, and the Canucks.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 08:43 PM   #13
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Ranger ii

With a degraded dial
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 10:37 PM   #14
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

Yeah, the engraving on some of my 70s/80s Tudor case-backs is wobbly, that is normal. In fact, I've seen counterfeits from that era that have STRONGER engraving than the genuine article. Don't know if I've ever seen a fake Ranger II, it doesn't have the same following as the Ranger or the Sub. Cool watch, thanks for showing and enjoy!
Old 1 July 2017, 01:19 AM   #15
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
I have a similar Tudor. Yours is legit. Completely. The model has a slash1 at the end. This means gold plate. This is why the back says stainless. The printing is fine; your ref to Parkinson's made me barf a bit in my mouth though. You need Tudor band 9587 I think. The come up on eBay. The issue is that it needs these funny bars inserted in the endlink. It's a weak design in these watches. They all seem to be worn and wobbly. Hence yours has this unique band on it. Enjoy the watch, and the Canucks.
I'm sorry if my tasteless joke caused offence. I'll make sure to avoid off-colour comments going forward.

Thanks for vouching for the watch. Are you saying that I'll have a hard time finding a strap to fit this watch? I don't mind if it takes time, but can you give me some info as to what kind of strap I should look for? Is there a particular name/style/brand?

When you say it's got a degraded dial, do you mean that it's no longer as bright and shiny as it used to be? Or is it as aesthetically pleasing as the underside of a Montreal highway overpass?

And sorry, can't cheer for the Canucks. Sens fan over here. The pain is real.

Last edited by whowatchesthewatcher; 1 July 2017 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: les bon mots
Old 1 July 2017, 01:19 AM   #16
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
Yeah, the engraving on some of my 70s/80s Tudor case-backs is wobbly, that is normal. In fact, I've seen counterfeits from that era that have STRONGER engraving than the genuine article. Don't know if I've ever seen a fake Ranger II, it doesn't have the same following as the Ranger or the Sub. Cool watch, thanks for showing and enjoy!
Thanks! Ol Wobbly might be a better name for her.
Old 2 July 2017, 04:38 PM   #17
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

got it. love it.
Old 6 July 2017, 02:44 PM   #18
whowatchesthewatcher
"TRF" Member

Thumbs up from local Rolex service professionals.

Looking into custom strap, but replacing the lug bars and buckle have extended grace period before I jump into a relatively costly adventure in bespoke leathersmithing.