The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2020, 03:48 AM   #91
Tony64
"TRF" Member

There's a lot of folks who want tips these days, but I'm happy to put her name on my wait list.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 04:39 AM   #92
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
I get my AD a bottle every time I get the call.
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 04:48 AM   #93
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I would not give cash - I have given a really nice bottle wine or champagne as a sign of my appreciation.

I find a cash tip in this situation to be inappropriate.
Old 19 February 2020, 05:11 AM   #94
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, you flew from CA to the Bahamas for a watch?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:49 AM   #95
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
I've flown across the world for a handful of hot steel watches too. Not uncommon.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 01:01 PM   #96
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ExplorerII View Post
but when I was expressing my gratitude during our correspondence the salesperson sent the following message: “And just in case you were wondering i do accept monetary gifts....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That last line is a total turn off.

My AD provided me with a Sub on the spot for a special occasion gift. A few days later I dropped off 3 bottles of choice selection of Far Niente.

Him? Unexpected, but very much appreciated.

In past 16 yrs buying Rolex from AD, never had an SA even suggest something like this.
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 04:24 PM   #97
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Yeah...that's what I was thinking. It's a damn Rolex watch. My time is more valuable. People lose their minds over this stuff.

Don't get me wrong...watches are nice, but I couldn't see jumping on a plane to go get one. They aren't THAT important to me.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 04:30 PM   #98
Zoomerang
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
I was very close to flying out to Punta Cana to get a watch too.. I was trying to justify it by using the tax you don't pay there for travel expenses (on the cheap!) and taking a 3 day vacation.

But time is valuable and hard to get away on a whim for a watch..
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:18 PM   #99
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

I always thank them afterwards with a nice e-mail. The written word is always appreciated.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:23 PM   #100
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
Yeah...that's what I was thinking. It's a damn Rolex watch. My time is more valuable. People lose their minds over this stuff.

Don't get me wrong...watches are nice, but I couldn't see jumping on a plane to go get one. They aren't THAT important to me.

Well I had this exact situation at an out of country AD tied to a resort. My thought was I would pay for the watch and the AD advised it would sit in their vault as paid. They do this for many tourists. Then, in 2-3 months when we plan our spring vacation, we would go there for a week and I would grab the watch too. Guess op is just too excited or maybe has no other free time to do this. Maybe good timing for him. We don’t know. And that’s the point. Let’s not be critical of others.

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:56 PM   #101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ExplorerII View Post
I had my name on a waiting list for a 116610LV for about 8 months and the AD called me to let me know it was available. I’m from CA and the AD was in the Bahamas. I did a fair amount of due diligence and had the AD send me multiple pics with the date and my name handwritten on their business card. The service was great and I really appreciated them taking my long distance business but when I was expressing my gratitude during our correspondence the salesperson sent the following message: “And just in case you were wondering i do accept monetary gifts....

She did help me out and was pleasant to work with, but I also had to drop everything, wire cash the same day and grab a flight from CA to Nassau the following week. My question is: should I tip? If so, how much? It wasn’t too long ago that ADs were giving me gifts (and discounts) to purchase. Has the dynamic shifted? Anyone gift or tip their AD?

I have never been to the Bahamas, but perhaps that is customary there.
6538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:23 AM   #102
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6538 View Post
I have never been to the Bahamas, but perhaps that is customary there.

It is. "Tip please" is heard often.
Old 20 February 2020, 01:27 AM   #103
Philadelphialawyer1
"TRF" Member

Yes, AD took a scratch out of my Sub clasp but wouldn't charge me,
I gave him a bottle of Balvene.
Philadelphialawyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:00 AM   #104
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post

Right? I check out watches everywhere I travel, but I don’t travel anywhere to check out watches.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:45 AM   #105
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
There's a lot of folks who want tips these days, but I'm happy to put her name on my wait list.

530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:09 PM   #106
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
... Maybe good timing for him. We don’t know. And that’s the point. Let’s not be critical of others.

It was actually the only time it was going to work in the foreseeable future for me and definitely wasn’t going to do a vacation there again. Not sure why so many people feel the need to comment negatively about a situation they have virtually no insight into, but I do appreciate the kind words. Between work, family and other community commitments I don’t get too much time to do things for myself so this was a nice little adventure for me. The fact that involved something I’m really passionate about and a great deal on a watch I’ve been looking for for 3 years was a bonus.

530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:22 PM   #107
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
[QUOTE=530ExplorerII;10391287]It was actually the only time it was going to work in the foreseeable future for me and definitely wasn’t going to do a vacation there again. Not sure why so many people feel the need to comment negatively about a situation they have virtually no insight into, but I do appreciate the kind words. Between work, family and other community commitments I don’t get too much time to do things for myself so this was a nice little adventure for me. The fact that involved something I’m really passionate about and a great deal on a watch I’ve been looking for for 3 years was a bonus.]

You were able to get a little vacation and a watch most ADs can not provide to their vip customers without waiting. You got it duty free which means you didn't pay the 9% sales tax which you can put towards the cost of the trip. I would say you are a winner and the people who have a comment to make haven't thought about the reality of obtaining that same watch at an AD in SoCal.
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:06 PM   #108
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Congrats, great adventure story behind your great watch.
Old 20 February 2020, 04:24 PM   #109
Driftwood
"TRF" Member

The “tip” is buying the watch..
Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 04:34 PM   #110
Driftwood
"TRF" Member

The “tip” is buying the watch
Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 08:30 PM   #111
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
The “tip” is buying the watch
Whether or not one tips anybody (in any industry) for good service or access to rare opportunities/products is a personal decision and if the decision not to tip is made I fully respect that.

However...

The above type of statement is utter crap. That is exactly the same as saying you eating a meal in a restaurant is the server's tip, or the fact that you stay in the hotel is the porter who carries all your bags tip.

Purchasing goods or services is a transaction. A tip is a gift. One that should be received with enormous gratitude! (Something that some recipients seem to forget but that's a different rant).

For the avoidance of doubt I am not arguing the merits or demerits of tipping itself. It's ok not to tip. What's not ok is to conflate buying and tipping. They are not the same!
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 10:34 PM   #112
Ragna
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Whether or not one tips anybody (in any industry) for good service or access to rare opportunities/products is a personal decision and if the decision not to tip is made I fully respect that.

However...

The above type of statement is utter crap. That is exactly the same as saying you eating a meal in a restaurant is the server's tip, or the fact that you stay in the hotel is the porter who carries all your bags tip.

Purchasing goods or services is a transaction. A tip is a gift. One that should be received with enormous gratitude! (Something that some recipients seem to forget but that's a different rant).

For the avoidance of doubt I am not arguing the merits or demerits of tipping itself. It's ok not to tip. What's not ok is to conflate buying and tipping. They are not the same!

Good point.
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote