The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2021, 02:50 AM   #481
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenworthy View Post
Omega biggest issue strangely enough availability I’ve always admired omega & couple times was going to buy, but I always think mmm I’ can wait until next year instead because there always available.. & think buy the Rolex. Tudor now because I don’t want to miss the opportunity to buy …
This makes sense for Omega vs Rolex, but not sure it applies to Tudor. Although the cases may not be overflowing with Tudor models, it's not difficult to obtain any Tudor you are looking for. Even the newest references can be requested and obtained without a significant wait. At least that's been my experience.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 02:59 AM   #482
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I understand that ETA is a shared supplier that all companies in the SWATCH group have access to. And I'm not trying to restart the "what is in-house" debate yet again :) But my point is this:

If the engineers at Toyota wanted to create a $100k luxury sedan, the leadership would say, no, that needs to be branded as a Lexus. It doesn't make sense in the Toyota family. Both of these tiers are working cooperatively in deciding what makes sense from a unified family perspective.

But when the engineers at Omega decide they want to build a $725k tourbillon, nobody steps in and says sorry, that must be a Breguet model, don't you realize you guys are tier 3?! The two brands are operating independently in terms of direction and design, and can clearly have overlap in terms of target market.

That’s correct but Omega can not take a decision like that without approval from Swatch group. Swatch also has the final say in the pricing of the model. I don’t know about Omega (because of it’s competition with Rolex maybe?) but if Longines was to design and release a Tourbillon, I don’t think Swatch would allow them to do so as they’re only allowed to play with a certain space. I could be wrong here though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omarion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 03:17 AM   #483
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarion07 View Post
That’s correct but Omega can not take a decision like that without approval from Swatch group. Swatch also has the final say in the pricing of the model. I don’t know about Omega (because of it’s competition with Rolex maybe?) but if Longines was to design and release a Tourbillon, I don’t think Swatch would allow them to do so as they’re only allowed to play with a certain space. I could be wrong here though.

I'm not sure it is publicly disclosed how the internal decision making at SWATCH (or any large conglomerate) happens, so we're all guessing to an extent. That said, I have to believe that different brands were acquired for different reasons. In some cases it may be just to cover a range of price points (Hamilton perhaps), but in other cases it is simply to own a company that you'd otherwise have to compete against.

Omega was enough of a titan than I don't think the case could be made that the SWATCH group "saved them". On the other hand, would Longines or Tissot even be able to keep the lights on if they had to go it alone? Omega seems like the obvious and singular brand within the portfolio which is meant to go up against Rolex. As a result I would expect them to get more resources to fight that battle and a little more free rein to do unique and novel things. It would seem like a management failure to acquire Omega and then try to force it into a specific role in an overall group lineup.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 03:30 AM   #484
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not sure it is publicly disclosed how the internal decision making at SWATCH (or any large conglomerate) happens, so we're all guessing to an extent. That said, I have to believe that different brands were acquired for different reasons. In some cases it may be just to cover a range of price points (Hamilton perhaps), but in other cases it is simply to own a company that you'd otherwise have to compete against.

Omega was enough of a titan than I don't think the case could be made that the SWATCH group "saved them". On the other hand, would Longines or Tissot even be able to keep the lights on if they had to go it alone? Omega seems like the obvious and singular brand within the portfolio which is meant to go up against Rolex. As a result I would expect them to get more resources to fight that battle and a little more free rein to do unique and novel things. It would seem like a management failure to acquire Omega and then try to force it into a specific role in an overall group lineup.

I was actually quite surprised to see Longines' market share when I saw this: (scroll down for the chart)

https://monochrome-watches.com/top-5...les-editorial/
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 03:37 AM   #485
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
I was actually quite surprised to see Longines' market share when I saw this: (scroll down for the chart)

If I'm not mistaken, Longines is very popular in Asia. Same with Rado according to Baldasarre.

I've noticed most airport duty free shops that serve as gateways to Asia always have extensive Longines collections.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 04:10 AM   #486
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post

That is eye opening, thanks for sharing. It also seems to add weight to the argument that if you are the SWATCH group and you are looking at this pie chart, it's not very likely you are telling Omega to back off and recognize Breguet as the true crown jewel of the family haha... also, unrelated, but odd that the RM slice is out of order per its percentage, it should be to the left of TAG and IWC.

chart.png
Old 8 December 2021, 04:24 AM   #487
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That is eye opening, thanks for sharing. It also seems to add weight to the argument that if you are the SWATCH group and you are looking at this pie chart, it's not very likely you are telling Omega to back off and recognize Breguet as the true crown jewel of the family haha... also, unrelated, but odd that the RM slice is out of order per its percentage, it should be to the left of TAG and IWC.

Attachment 1259310
Is Tudor considered part of Rolex on this pie chart? Or are their sales so low they are captured under "other?"
Old 8 December 2021, 04:31 AM   #488
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Is Tudor considered part of Rolex on this pie chart? Or are their sales so low they are captured under "other?"

No it’s not actually that’s Rolex by itself . Tudor came in number 14 in 2020 ahead of the likes of vacheron, Panerai and Bvlgari

Old 8 December 2021, 05:37 AM   #489
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Tudor is at 2%. They are not part of the Rolex slice.

chart2.png
Old 8 December 2021, 05:40 AM   #490
Manamana
"TRF" Member

VC, Omega, IWC, Longines will have a very good, and profitable future judging from their new offerings, and sales in 2021.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 06:06 AM   #491
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
VC, Omega, IWC, Longines will have a very good, and profitable future judging from their new offerings, and sales in 2021.

One thing I’m sure off it’s Rolex extending their lead ahead of the competition even further.

Old 8 December 2021, 07:29 AM   #492
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:

This is correct. And Longines is the perfect example. Look at their rich and innovative history pre Swatch and then look at their offerings since coming under the Swatch umbrella. The only brand that seems to have almost full command is Omega as they are the only Swatch brand that competes with Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 07:32 AM   #493
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
No it’s not actually that’s Rolex by itself . Tudor came in number 14 in 2020 ahead of the likes of vacheron, Panerai and Bvlgari

Panerai? Didn't everyone come in above them! Hardly a claim to fame. The noisy minority.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 07:46 AM   #494
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tudor is at 2%. They are not part of the Rolex slice.

Attachment 1259327
That's a surprise. Figured they'd be in the 3-4% range by now. Lots of competition

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
Old 8 December 2021, 06:27 PM   #495
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
This is correct. And Longines is the perfect example. Look at their rich and innovative history pre Swatch and then look at their offerings since coming under the Swatch umbrella. The only brand that seems to have almost full command is Omega as they are the only Swatch brand that competes with Rolex.

Longines is being positioned to compete with Tudor. If Longines was given the same freedom as Omega within the group I feel it will bust some balls with all the heritage, and market share it already has . Omega I feel is left to do what it wants, and it's doing a great job so far.
Old 10 December 2021, 05:06 AM   #496
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
Longines is being positioned to compete with Tudor. If Longines was given the same freedom as Omega within the group I feel it will bust some balls with all the heritage, and market share it already has . Omega I feel is left to do what it wants, and it's doing a great job so far.
I know it's just a taste thing, but I find most of Longines' watches either boring, or ugly, or both.

I don't think they'll be competing with Tudor any time soon unless they fire and revamp their design department.

Heritage is one thing, you need to have the watches to back it up.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 08:36 AM   #497
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
If you care about accuracy, versatility, and value, Omega over Tudor. As a travel watch my perfect companion is Omega’s Aqua Terra 38mm.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 09:55 AM   #498
SaintMickey
Banned

I vote no as well...Tudor is not on same level as Omega.

SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 11:04 AM   #499
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
I vote no as well...Tudor is not on same level as Omega.

Would you say better than or ?
That smiley Tudor surely is to become a classic
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 11:14 AM   #500
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Would you say better than or ?
That smiley Tudor surely is to become a classic
Well interestingly I believe Omega is a higher level of quality but other than a SpeedMaster Pro I wouldn't own anything from their new line up. Getting too big and pricey. Tudor is similar for me with their thickness but not as pricey.

The 79220b I picked up recently is the last of the Tudors for me....right size at 41mm although I would have preferred 40mm and the 12.7mm thickness is good.

I am all about comfort on the wrist and both Omega and Tudor's have lost me.

Omega has a very diverse line up but I'd like to see Tudor be more than be the Black Bay Watch company but hey thats just me.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 11:33 AM   #501
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Well interestingly I believe Omega is a higher level of quality but other than a SpeedMaster Pro I wouldn't own anything from their new line up. Getting too big and pricey. Tudor is similar for me with their thickness but not as pricey.

The 79220b I picked up recently is the last of the Tudors for me....right size at 41mm although I would have preferred 40mm and the 12.7mm thickness is good.

I am all about comfort on the wrist and both Omega and Tudor's have lost me.

Omega has a very diverse line up but I'd like to see Tudor be more than be the Black Bay Watch company but hey thats just me.

Indeed aside from the Speedmaster which is the quintessential Omega, it is hard to go past it (at least for me) and yes they can be very thick yet lovely (planet ocean is nice but sadly too thick but well positioned price wise). Tudor will always be tied to Rolex so most people that love Tudor want to see a sub look alike such as a renewed Tudor Sub (FXD isn’t it ) . My 2 cents worth
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 11:49 AM   #502
Fenix84
"TRF" Member

Aside from watch people, few even know that Tudor is a watch brand, my wife thought I was talking about that BBC show awhile back.
Fenix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 12:14 PM   #503
JC316
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix84 View Post
Aside from watch people, few even know that Tudor is a watch brand, my wife thought I was talking about that BBC show awhile back.
My experience as well. Most people I know have no idea that Tudor and Rolex are under the same foundation. Most have never heard of Tudor. It's really gaining alot of interest though. Lots of boutiques are popping up.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:26 PM   #504
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
I know it's just a taste thing, but I find most of Longines' watches either boring, or ugly, or both.

I don't think they'll be competing with Tudor any time soon unless they fire and revamp their design department.

Heritage is one thing, you need to have the watches to back it up.
The new Longines Heritage Collection is beautiful, getting a lot of complements from Youtubers. When considering past, and new models I don't think any can compete with Tudor in the amount of ugly models produced in my opinion.
Old 10 December 2021, 05:50 PM   #505
waxy88
"TRF" Member

To echo what many have said Tudor is not not on the same level as Omega.

For me the details on the dial of this SMP are outstanding. The quality is also definitely a step up from Tudor.

Then there is this icon, which again for me just lifts Omega above Tudor.

Where I think Tudor are really excelling is in the bang you get for your buck. I think they are really good value for money and I love what they have done with some of their more recent releases. Having said that some of the other pieces in Tudor’s current catalogue are pretty naff. Personally I really don’t like their Royal range, which come across as cheap knock offs to me

waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 08:17 PM   #506
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
i don't know why it's so important for people to have their favorite watch brand be at the "same level" as another.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 08:19 PM   #507
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
i don't know why it's so important for people to have their favorite watch brand be at the "same level" as another.
Ego.

......and the hope that they didn't pay way too much for a run of the mill automatic.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote