The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 2 November 2018, 06:30 AM   #1
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

What would you do?

Went to the OB and asked them to change the strip to the speedy pro bracelet on my new Ultraman. The speedy pro bracelet fits perfectly. However, for some reason, the OB has to change it back to the original strip today. I am shocked when I get the watch back. The back of the lug have some scratches all over. I am very upset. What would you do? I know they could publish it, but I personally don’t like my watches, not to mention that this watch is new!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wlchuccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 06:59 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Just being realistic here....while I can see it's unfortunate this happened with someone less skillful at a boutique.....there's pretty much nothing that can be done now. They're not going to give you a new case/new watch over something as small as this....best they can offer is a polish which you don't want (I wouldn't do it either). I would just chalk it up to a hard lesson learned about doing things yourself. Sorry about the experience....changing bracelets/straps and dealing with springbars is always an adventure IMO...sometimes it can be as smooth as butter and other times it can be a real bit** from my experience. So I wouldn't completely blame the guy @ the boutique either.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 07:03 AM   #3
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
It wouldn't take much to polish those out by a pro, something you can always do in future. Enjoy the Ultraman!
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 07:09 AM   #4
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Just being realistic here....while I can see it's unfortunate this happened with someone less skillful at a boutique.....there's pretty much nothing that can be done now. They're not going to give you a new case/new watch over something as small as this....best they can offer is a polish which you don't want (I wouldn't do it either). I would just chalk it up to a hard lesson learned about doing things yourself. Sorry about the experience....changing bracelets/straps and dealing with springbars is always an adventure IMO...sometimes it can be as smooth as butter and other times it can be a real bit** from my experience. So I wouldn't completely blame the guy @ the boutique either.
oh well, I know this thing happens. But this is also the reason why I did not do it myself to begin with. It may be my mistake because the repair guy is on leave. But they said they could do it easily. So I trust their judgement. To be honest, I think I could even do a better job. I really don't understand why they didn't put a tap on it when they are removing the bracelet. The scratches look much worse when you see it in person
Old 2 November 2018, 07:46 AM   #5
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Sorry that happened, I also have been burned by a AD. I went out and got the right tools and do everything myself. I would not let a AD touch my watch.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 08:12 AM   #6
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Sorry that happened, I also have been burned by a AD. I went out and got the right tools and do everything myself. I would not let a AD touch my watch.
sorry to hear that...practically they got me the bracelet today, so when I picked it up today, I thought it's no harm to let them do it as I thought it would be very straight-forward
Old 2 November 2018, 09:45 AM   #7
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

This is ridiculous but far too common unfortunately. It’s a joke they can sell watches for thousands and not have anyone who can actually look after them. I’d be FUMING.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 09:53 AM   #8
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
This is ridiculous but far too common unfortunately. It’s a joke they can sell watches for thousands and not have anyone who can actually look after them. I’d be FUMING.
It's exactly how I feel. Don't get me wrong. I have a good relationship with that OB. I just pointed this out at shop when they gave me back the watch, cos it was so obviously. I was upset but I left the shop without a complaint. I post my story here to listen for an option really. Should I just leave the scratches or polish it? Or should I just stick with 1171/633 bracelet now cos it will scratch the back of lugs anyway?
Old 2 November 2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlchuccc View Post
It's exactly how I feel. Don't get me wrong. I have a good relationship with that OB. I just pointed this out at shop when they gave me back the watch, cos it was so obviously. I was upset but I left the shop without a complaint. I post my story here to listen for an option really. Should I just leave the scratches or polish it? Or should I just stick with 1171/633 bracelet now cos it will scratch the back of lugs anyway?
I would not polish, more chance for something else getting messed up. Luckily it’s under the lugs and like you said they will get scratched as you switch between bracelets. As careful as I am and I tape, I still have made scratch marks

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 12:59 PM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Another option would be just to go with the bracelet.....the endlinks would cover most of that IMO. Having it polished would be ok since it's so light and you wouldn't need to take off much to brush that back. I'm sorry this happened but you will scratch the watch sooner or later wearing it.....on the back of the lugs where you never look IMO would be something you'd forget with a little time enjoying the watch . I wish I could recommend otherwise but I don't see Omega offering anything else but a polish for this scenario.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 01:32 PM   #11
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

What would you do?

Quote:
Another option would be just to go with the bracelet.....the endlinks would cover most of that IMO. Having it polished would be ok since it's so light and you wouldn't need to take off much to brush that back. I'm sorry this happened but you will scratch the watch sooner or later wearing it.....on the back of the lugs where you never look IMO would be something you'd forget with a little time enjoying the watch . I wish I could recommend otherwise but I don't see Omega offering anything else but a polish for this scenario.

I was not clear in my initial message. I just need to decide two things after this incident:
1. Polish or not
2. If not polish, should I go with 1171/633? Initially I may want to go with the speedy pro bracelet as it will not scratch the lug. 1171 is my preferred bracelet but it will likely scratch the lug. Since the lug has been scratched anyway. Isn’t it more reasonable to stick with 1171?

I was upset but nothing more than that. The OB treated me well, and as I said earlier, I didn’t make a complaint or something. Maybe I should convince them to help me to fix the 1171 bracelet cos they said they usually don’t do filing

Old 2 November 2018, 01:32 PM   #12
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was not clear in my initial message. I just need to decide two things after this incident:
1. Polish or not
2. If not polish, should I go with 1171/633? Initially I may want to go with the speedy pro bracelet as it will not scratch the lug. 1171 is my preferred bracelet but it will likely scratch the lug. Since the lug has been scratched anyway. Isn’t it more reasonable to stick with 1171?

I was upset but nothing more than that. The OB treated me well, and as I said earlier, I didn’t make a complaint or something. Maybe I should convince them to help me to fix the 1171 bracelet cos they said they usually don’t do filing

Old 2 November 2018, 07:24 PM   #13
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry this happened but I don’t feel this affects the beauty or value of your watch. If you’re going to wear it, it’ll get more. For me it’s too minor to bother polishing.

Given it’s there already I’d wear the bracelet you like and let any wear and tear take its natural course.

Revisit the polishing question in 5 years time.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 07:47 PM   #14
AndreaC
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I fully agree with you.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
AndreaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 08:49 PM   #15
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:
This ^, but there isn't much you can do really. As some of the members have already mentioned, don't bother having it polished out. What I would suggest is to voice your complaints officially, in a letter, explaining that you should have expected far better service than what you have received, from some ham-fisted numpty.
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 10:40 PM   #16
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys. I think I will take your advice, which is to leave the scratches for the moment and change it to the bracelet, hopefully it will be 1171/633. It looks stunning on this bracelet!!
Old 2 November 2018, 11:09 PM   #17
watchmaker
TechXpert

Out of interest, which boutique was it? I know many of them actually have watchmakers in store.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 11:34 PM   #18
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Out of interest, which boutique was it? I know many of them actually have watchmakers in store.
the watchmaker is on leave currently. It's my fault maybe, but I should have waited for another week
Old 3 November 2018, 02:46 AM   #19
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Watches will get scratches and age. So will you. Take a deep breath and enjoy an awesome watch.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 11:14 PM   #20
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlchuccc View Post
the watchmaker is on leave currently. It's my fault maybe, but I should have waited for another week
It's not fair to say its your fault; on the other hand I would say that those marks are much easier to put on an Omega than they are on a Rolex (I'm not defending or condemning them).

Omega Regent Street has a fantastic watchmaker on site and she also has a technician to assist her.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 11:17 PM   #21
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
It's not fair to say its your fault; on the other hand I would say that those marks are much easier to put on an Omega than they are on a Rolex (I'm not defending or condemning them).

Omega Regent Street has a fantastic watchmaker on site and she also has a technician to assist her.

Thanks for your info. But I have to stick with my OB as they have been good to me