The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 July 2021, 10:36 PM   #1
pmoz
"TRF" Member

The ludicrous situation of waiting lists (Rolex)

Hello everyone,

After about 6 months contemplation, I finally decided that the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm with blue dial (126000) is going to be my next watch for my 30th birthday (in 2 years time). While a lot has been evaluated including vintage Valjoux 88 watches, Tudor Black Bay Chrono, Tudor Submariner (75090 or 75190) and vintage Rolex GMT Master such as 16710 and 1675, I decided that I want add a completely new, reliable and simple watch to my collection.

So I went on my merry way to my AD in Denmark to sign up for the Rolex OP as I figured 2 years would probably be adequate wait time, so the timing was perfect.

What the hell happened, since when have 36mm Rolex watches become popular? I couldn't even get on the waiting list... So I guess I will have to pay 50% overprice to get one in 2 years

What watch are you trying to acquire and how is the situation with your AD?
pmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 10:45 PM   #2
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
The last Rolex I purchased was an Explorer II last year. I asked my AD SA for it in September, they delivered it in November. Nothing ludicrous about it. Perhaps you are talking to the wrong AD.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:06 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoz View Post

Everything I want from JLC, Patek and Omega are available. I simply need more money. My AD situation is great!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:09 PM   #4
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Please don't pay 50% over retail for that, it's just not worth it at that price.

Your AD sounds not great, I'd visit a different one, even if it's in another city. This is not a watch that requires a spend history he should have put you down for an order.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:23 PM   #5
PaulChronometer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Horage Array
I had an interest in the new 36mm Explorer (I found my 39mm Expl too large), but understood from ADs that obtaining a steel Rolex now requires purchasing another piece at the same time, like a very expensive Breguet or something else in quite another league than a steel Rolex. Even if I would be able to afford that, I wouldn't play along with this. I also think that paying more than 5-10% above retail in the grey market doesn't make sense.

Based on this, plus the fact that Rolex watches are getting more of a bad rap (see e.g. the flexing on YouTube and elsewhere) I decided to buy a new 36mm steel Tudor Date+Day instead. I also sold my 39mm Explorer for about 60% more than the price I had bought it for 7 years ago.
PaulChronometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:24 PM   #6
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

I would suggest contacting another AD. Procuring a blue 36mm OP within two years is an entirely reasonable request, even with the current shortages
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:49 PM   #7
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulChronometer View Post
I had an interest in the new 36mm Explorer (I found my 39mm Expl too large), but understood from ADs that obtaining a steel Rolex now requires purchasing another piece at the same time, like a very expensive Breguet or something else in quite another league than a steel Rolex. Even if I would be able to afford that, I wouldn't play along with this. I also think that paying more than 5-10% above retail in the grey market doesn't make sense.

Based on this, plus the fact that Rolex watches are getting more of a bad rap (see e.g. the flexing on YouTube and elsewhere) I decided to buy a new 36mm steel Tudor Date+Day instead. I also sold my 39mm Explorer for about 60% more than the price I had bought it for 7 years ago.
It's just not true through, it requires hunting around for a good AD. I received a call yesterday for the Batman on Jubilee with zero purchase history. The AD's that are giving the "buy something else to get Rolex" line should be skipped.
Old 29 July 2021, 11:54 PM   #8
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

I want a BLNR on Jubilee...working on developing a relationship with an AD to even bother asking about it. Wife bought some jewelry and I am on their list for an Elegante next year which should give me enough spend to get be considered. Where I live, it's pay to play, there's no walking in to a store randomly and having them pull out a Pepsi for you to take home - demand is too high.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:59 PM   #9
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrankenstein View Post
I want a BLNR on Jubilee...working on developing a relationship with an AD to even bother asking about it. Wife bought some jewelry and I am on their list for an Elegante next year which should give me enough spend to get be considered. Where I live, it's pay to play, there's no walking in to a store randomly and having them pull out a Pepsi for you to take home - demand is too high.
Pay so play with speed things up, but I have received "the call" for SS sports recently with zero purchase history. It just requires more patience and making the AD aware that you're still waiting for it. They certainly won't just pull out something difficult on a first or even 10th walk in, but you could receive the call unexpected after some time. This is all dependant on which AD you're playing the game with, best route to go is multiple.
Old 30 July 2021, 12:04 AM   #10
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Why not consider DJ46 instead of OP36?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:10 AM   #11
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
It's just not true through, it requires hunting around for a good AD. I received a call yesterday for the Batman on Jubilee with zero purchase history.
Hey nicely done man! I remember you were in search and glad you didn't have to play any games to get one!
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:11 AM   #12
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Why not consider DJ46 instead of OP36?
Because DJ41’s are not easy to get either, is the possible answer.

My AD has a long list of people waiting for DJ41’s, in the AD’s view DJ41’s are becoming as hard to get as the ‘Professional’ watches.

DJ36’s are easier but still the new dial options are at least a 12 month wait when I enquired about one for my wife.

Not sure anything from Rolex is an easy pick up at the moment.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:29 AM   #13
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I am pursuing a 116519.

AD I have a relationship with told me they have enough orders for the watch to last for years, but will keep my interest on file for when / if one becomes available. This AD sold me my 116500 in 2018. I know them well.

AD closest to home wouldn’t take the order or put me on a waiting list. I’ve visited them many times over the past couple years. First name basis when we greet each other. No luck there on anything of interest. They claim they put everything they get in the case (yeah right) and don’t take orders or have wait lists. I think they are flipping themselves with 2 AD locations in my state, and 1 non-AD location in Manhattan. They seem fishy, yet are always polite.

AD one state away took my interest and put me on a list. They offered to order me a TT DJ 41 in any configuration as an alternative. I declined that and assume they’ll never call me for the 116519.

If Rolex doesn’t want me to have a watch, so be it. The brand’s becoming stuck up and uncool. Rich people who think a watch means something status-y about them on IG rather than a timepiece to be worn and enjoyed.

<end rant>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:57 AM   #14
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
If that's of any consolation, I've been waiting 3 years and 5 months for the steel Pepsi since I first expressed my interest to a local ADs. The OP didn't use to be a waitlist watch, but it's all gone a bit ridiculous.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:58 AM   #15
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I am pursuing a ceramic Daytona. I have zero history with an AD and it will be my first Rolex. Wish me luck ;-)

I actually just got on the list though and know my general position. Very close friend has bought hundreds of thousands in jewelry from a jeweler that also is an AD and a couple gold Daytonas. He is on the list on my behalf. A couple years ago I asked the jeweler if this person requested one, how long it would take and he said "he would get the next one that comes in." We will see how the next 6 to 18 months plays out.

I didn't want to play that card, but its the only Rolex I want and I am turning 40 this year. Can't afford a gold one. Due to the nature of the request though...I can NEVER sell it and will wear it anytime I am meeting said friend for dinner, etc. That is fine with me though as the watch is for me to wear and I have no desire to flip.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 02:15 AM   #16
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Pay so play with speed things up, but I have received "the call" for SS sports recently with zero purchase history. It just requires more patience and making the AD aware that you're still waiting for it. They certainly won't just pull out something difficult on a first or even 10th walk in, but you could receive the call unexpected after some time. This is all dependant on which AD you're playing the game with, best route to go is multiple.
Sure. I just bought a Hulk and want the Elegante more (because it's a more unique watch) so I'm not even in a position to push at the moment.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 02:17 AM   #17
ks58
Banned

Hard to get anything nowadays.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 02:20 AM   #18
bp1000
"TRF" Member

What has happened is more and more people are jumping on the money making bandwagon. People are making sideline careers out of buying watches, some sell them for small or even large profits immediately, others wear them for a while and sell them.

Not necessarily 36mm watches but genuine buys who can’t get the more popular models move into what’s available which in this case is now also harder to get.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 02:36 AM   #19
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
You definitely need to talk to a different AD. That is a watch that is easily ordered, as in request it, pay the deposit if they ask you for one, and wait until the next shipment in 4-12 weeks. When I bought my wife the new 34mm OP blue dial in May, my AD told her if she didn't like that color he could get her any other color she wanted, or any Datejust from the catalog. He said to go online and configure it and then let him know and he would place the order for us. As it was, the blue dial was exactly what she wanted so we didn't need to do that.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 02:38 AM   #20
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Hello everyone,

After about 6 months contemplation, I finally decided that the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm with blue dial (126000) is going to be my next watch for my 30th birthday (in 2 years time). While a lot has been evaluated including vintage Valjoux 88 watches, Tudor Black Bay Chrono, Tudor Submariner (75090 or 75190) and vintage Rolex GMT Master such as 16710 and 1675, I decided that I want add a completely new, reliable and simple watch to my collection.

So I went on my merry way to my AD in Denmark to sign up for the Rolex OP as I figured 2 years would probably be adequate wait time, so the timing was perfect.

What the hell happened, since when have 36mm Rolex watches become popular? I couldn't even get on the waiting list... So I guess I will have to pay 50% overprice to get one in 2 years

Might want to read that again. And think about it.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 08:22 PM   #21
pmoz
"TRF" Member

I completely agree with all of you mention it not being worth it and finding a good AD, I wish it was possible. Unfortunately, Denmark is a tiny country with a highly limited number of ADs, meaning that it is close to impossible to get different treatment.

Someone mentioned to me that they had told him that if he bought som jewellery from the store, they might be able to work out something in relation to the waiting list. I.e. showing the favorisme for existing customers with buyer history - the interesting part is that it does not allow for anyone to become one, as my own example.. I can afford the watches, just don't want to splurge and will by occasionally, but in 20+ years I will have many watches bought and even more watches serviced - just cannot get the starting point.

I am glad to hear everyone with great ADs! I also read a story on the board where someone got the call for a GMT without waiting lists - as the store did not have them. I think this is great, because it favours enthusiasm from going checking the store as well as a bit of luck (being on the right time). Albeit, there are disadvantages, I think it would be great to see ADs implementing alternative measures.

Because it seems that only the scavengers are getting the watches, earning 2x profits - there is a group in Denmark who just sold a GMT Pepsi 2020 at USD 24.682 for reference. I have no idea how they get these, as they have many watches for sale, and this type of sale is not uncommon here.

So it seems a lot of the people who gets the watches, immediately sells to a grey market dealer and scores big. Unfortunately for the watch community and enthusiasts..
pmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:06 PM   #22
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Op are on fire right now. Best suggestion would be a dj instead. I just ordered two 36 mm dj last week. Personally I’ve been waiting 3 years for a steel Daytona. Since I’m not really a stainless steel guy and prefer gold, I don’t mind waiting.
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 02:18 AM   #23
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Some of you suggesting the AD is the problem here might not be aware that the OP36 are INCREDIBLY hot right now. They appeal to both men and women and some colors, especially the tiffany blue (op didn't specify which blue) and yellow are incredibly sought after. They are trading way above 2s MSRP which indicates as a first purchase, there's no chance. They are in the same league as GMT Master IIs as best as I can tell in terms of difficulty, maybe harder for those particular dial colors.

I absolutely agree with WalterW, save your breathe and find a gorgeous DJ.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 02:32 AM   #24
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
I am pursuing a 116519.

If Rolex doesn’t want me to have a watch, so be it.

Current watches: 116718ln, 116500 black dial
You have two ...
Old 4 August 2021, 04:05 AM   #25
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
You have two ...

Fair point, I guess I should have said “if Rolex doesn’t want me to have a 3rd watch, so be it.” :-)

Come on AD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 06:12 AM   #26
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I completely agree with all of you mention it not being worth it and finding a good AD, I wish it was possible. Unfortunately, Denmark is a tiny country with a highly limited number of ADs, meaning that it is close to impossible to get different treatment.

Someone mentioned to me that they had told him that if he bought som jewellery from the store, they might be able to work out something in relation to the waiting list. I.e. showing the favorisme for existing customers with buyer history - the interesting part is that it does not allow for anyone to become one, as my own example.. I can afford the watches, just don't want to splurge and will by occasionally, but in 20+ years I will have many watches bought and even more watches serviced - just cannot get the starting point.

I am glad to hear everyone with great ADs! I also read a story on the board where someone got the call for a GMT without waiting lists - as the store did not have them. I think this is great, because it favours enthusiasm from going checking the store as well as a bit of luck (being on the right time). Albeit, there are disadvantages, I think it would be great to see ADs implementing alternative measures.

Because it seems that only the scavengers are getting the watches, earning 2x profits - there is a group in Denmark who just sold a GMT Pepsi 2020 at USD 24.682 for reference. I have no idea how they get these, as they have many watches for sale, and this type of sale is not uncommon here.

So it seems a lot of the people who gets the watches, immediately sells to a grey market dealer and scores big. Unfortunately for the watch community and enthusiasts..

What AD in Denmark did you went too?
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 06:18 AM   #27
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I wouldn’t fret. I have an excellent relationship with my AD, having received all the key pieces over the years, however, a request for three watches for my 3 daughters, namely the 36mm explorer and 2 x OP 36mm silver dial has proven very difficult, still without any of the three I need as gifts. I can’t give one daughter one and then wait for the others, so if i get them gradually they’ll have to sit in the safe until I have all three.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 06:20 AM   #28
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Hello everyone,

No such thing as a waitlist..its a register of interest..the AD manager will sell to whomever they want when the next piece comes in
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 06:23 AM   #29
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

The ludicrous situation of waiting lists (Rolex)

I think you’re going to be fine in 2 years. People will realize they are either paying 2x retail on a very basic watch that’s not worth it, or they will move along. The OP will absolutely not be hot forever.

This has never been a hot or even sought after reference. The weird colored ones, ya. I get it. They are new and bright and people want them. If you want a silver, black, white, or blue, 2 years is more than enough time to get one. Try multiple ADs and give them one particular option you are interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 07:03 AM   #30
mroberts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulChronometer View Post

I requested to be put on the list for the new Explorer I and got a call about 2 months later saying I could come pick it up. I had only purchased a Sub years ago from this person. It just comes down to having a good AD.
mroberts is offline   Reply With Quote