The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 November 2022, 01:37 AM   #31
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Good it worked out at the end. I've sold 3 cars to Carvana, 1 to Vroom and 1 to Carmax. All of them were easy, and all sold to the highest offer at the time. Only the Carmax I had to drive to. My son worked for Carvana but was laid off with the drastic cuts back in April. Though he only worked there 5 months they gave him a months severence pay and his stock option too. He now works at Carmax which just opened a new office by me since June. And so life goes on.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 01:40 AM   #32
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Just for reference to keep the emotions out it. As many like to consider themselves middle class: The top 5% of individual earnings started at $186,006.00 in the United states in 2022.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 01:56 AM   #33
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am on my way to my beloved mother’s funeral, where I will give the eulogy I have dreaded giving for years. Right now, I couldn’t care less about what the percentage of finances I qualify for.
Sorry to hear about your mother. My condolences.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 01:59 AM   #34
Star Ferry
Banned

Yeah, Upon reflection, I don’t think it’s fair to call the top X% of annual income the “top X% of Americans” — that puts an undue emphasis on salary/earnings
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 02:17 AM   #35
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
I have sold a couple cars to Carmax over the years. They actually beat the dealer's trade-in allowance tax included or they were outright sales of an extra vehicle. This is way before Carvana came into the picture. Either way it usually ends being a hassle.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 02:27 AM   #36
JTL31

Quote:
I am on my way to my beloved mother’s funeral, where I will give the eulogy I have dreaded giving for years. Right now, I couldn’t care less about what the percentage of finances I qualify for.
My sincere condolences Paul! One of the greatest honors in my life was giving my mother’s eulogy, as she was an amazing woman. I’m certain your mother was too! Be kind and gentle with yourself during the grieving process.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 02:48 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Sorry to hear that Paul. I have given two eulogies and I can tell you it’s something to take pride in. The people at the service will be supportive and happy you’re speaking today. Be well.
Old 6 November 2022, 03:12 AM   #38
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sorry for your loss,Paul. Never easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 04:25 AM   #39
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
My condolences to you Paul, and best wishes to Dustin.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 04:29 AM   #40
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Just for reference to keep the emotions out it. As many like to consider themselves middle class: The top 5% of individual earnings started at $186,006.00 in the United states in 2022.
Ha! I guess I'm in the top 10% then. Oh well.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 05:10 AM   #41
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, Paul. Stay strong. I'm sure you have a lifetime of great memories.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 03:39 AM   #42
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Hang in there Paul. I concur on percentages. Personally more concerned with other metrics, like being a decent human being, partner and neighbor.
Old 7 November 2022, 08:54 AM   #43
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Yeah, I don't know. This is a tough one. Just yesterday, as my wife was being admitted to a mental health facility, I was wondering WTF was going on. Cousin lost her mom 1.5mos to complications from diabetes, friend lost their 3yr old to pediatric cancer on Wednesday, former athlete/ friend lost the child she was still carrying only 18 weeks into pregnancy and had to wait till she was septic before doctors could intervene. This has been the most fucked up couple of months I've ever experienced.
Oh man i'm sorry to hear that. One day about 5 years ago I was called to my mother's place of employment (a few blocks from my office). Her supervisor said there was something wrong and when I got there, I thought she was having a stroke. She was rambling, speaking nonsensically, and scribbling on a pad. Chillingly, in the midst of her scribblings, she wrote "HELP ME."

Turns out it wasn't a stroke but a mental break. We had to fight like hell to get her admitted to a hospital. She was released but about a week later, on Christmas Eve, she had another break. She regressed overnight and by the next morning, we had to take her in again. By this time, my dad had found his POA and, after I made some administrator call the hospital's general counsel, they admitted her.

Long story short, it's incredible how powerful the mind can be. Mom is better now but still has episodes every so often. She has a diagnosis and works with her physicians to manage her medication.

It's not easy and I hope you and your family come out of this stronger and closer!
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 08:55 AM   #44
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
I'm so sorry for your loss, Paul
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 08:59 AM   #45
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Yeah, I don't know. This is a tough one. Just yesterday, as my wife was being admitted to a mental health facility, I was wondering WTF was going on. Cousin lost her mom 1.5mos to complications from diabetes, friend lost their 3yr old to pediatric cancer on Wednesday, former athlete/ friend lost the child she was still carrying only 18 weeks into pregnancy and had to wait till she was septic before doctors could intervene. This has been the most fucked up couple of months I've ever experienced.
I’m really sorry to hear this Dustin. I hope your wife gets the help she needs. Stay strong.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 09:03 AM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Thoughts go out to you Paul. I’ve heard you speak fondly about her here over the years. I’m sure it’ll be a tough day and I’m certain she will be smiling down on you. Be well.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 09:10 AM   #47
Cru Jones

Quote:

My condolences. :-(
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 09:33 AM   #48
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I still remember having to set a limit on what we would spend on groceries. Only buying two things of formula at a time, putting $40 in gas in because we couldn’t fill up. It was only maybe 10 years ago, but it’s nice to have that stuff in the past.

Being in the top 5% or 2% or whatever it breaks down to for California is nice, i just buy nicer stuff and wear nicer clothes. We drive nicer cars, but when we stopped having to look at grocery prices and budgeting for very basic necessities, everything else was just icing on top.

I have to remind myself every once in a while, things are pretty good.

I love this. Most of my life I had to add groceries in my head and hope I didn’t go over what was in my account. Been many years since I’ve had that worry and I think about it all the time. Grateful not to have to do math in my head anymore.
Old 7 November 2022, 10:56 AM   #49
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Without your health, you have nothing. And you can lose it any day.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 11:18 AM   #50
austinp
"TRF" Member

Without inner peace you have nothing. I know lots of healthy and wealthy people that are angry and miserable.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 08:39 PM   #51
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I guess I'm knocking on the door of 1% in Michigan based on income but we have the entire Upper Peninsula dragging down the average.

I don't feel flush but after my Dad passed a decadebago I came across his little budgetbsheets from the 1950's where he had to plan ahead to have a Coke or a beer. Puts it in perspective.

Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 08:50 PM   #52
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
"Comparison is the thief of joy."
-attributed to Theodore Roosevelt. I’d agree.
crew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 11:44 PM   #53
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

The happiest person I know makes about $80k a year and cuts grass 4 days a week. He has winters off to spend time with his family and kids.

Money isn't everything to everyone.
dk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 12:14 AM   #54
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:

Paul,

I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my younger brother to covid last year, and was fortunate that others were willing to speak. I’m not sure I would have been able in that moment.

I’m sure there are friends and family who are grateful for you being willing to step up and give the eulogy, and a proud mother who has another thing to admire in you.

Prayers for you and yours today.

Bob
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 12:21 AM   #55
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
"Comparison is the thief of joy."
-attributed to Theodore Roosevelt. I’d agree.
Wow good quote. First time I’ve read it. Thank you!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 12:54 AM   #56
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I now fully understand why they say "money does not buy happiness".

I am thrilled to have gotten where I am. And I work hard to ensure that I do not lose it. For a lot of reasons it is important to me.

But one of the things I am doing is ensuring that I am decluttering and reducing "things" in my life.

And it appears the more I declutter, and the more I reduce, the more I focus on the little things, the happier I am.

Money buys security, and freedom in a lot of ways. But so does the need for less. The less stuff you need, the less money you need, the more freedom you actually have.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 03:20 AM   #57
Star Ferry
Banned

I think living in NYC is great for perspective taking. You see people vastly less fortunate than yourself, and vastly more fortunate than yourself, wherever you look. Whereas in a suburban neighborhood, there can be economic segregation to the point where everyone is making between 100k and 200k, or 250k to 500k, or 50k to 100k, etc.

Even within my own building, there are folks clearing 7 figures living amongst folks who bought decades ago and are basically poor.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 12:14 PM   #58
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Thank you for the kind words everyone, and I need to apologize to the OP, I didn’t mean to hijack the thread.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 12:44 PM   #59
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I now fully understand why they say "money does not buy happiness".

I am thrilled to have gotten where I am. And I work hard to ensure that I do not lose it. For a lot of reasons it is important to me.

But one of the things I am doing is ensuring that I am decluttering and reducing "things" in my life.

And it appears the more I declutter, and the more I reduce, the more I focus on the little things, the happier I am.

Money buys security, and freedom in a lot of ways. But so does the need for less. The less stuff you need, the less money you need, the more freedom you actually have.

Well said

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 01:32 PM   #60
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Dustin and Paul, stay strong. I will keep you and your families in thoughts and prayers.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote