The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 September 2012, 05:21 AM   #61
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I agree Frem.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 05:35 AM   #62
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
Doesn't prove anything! We come into Earth with nothing and leave the same way

Thank you sir!

I hear you Chris! All good!

Fremstar for mayor of TRF!!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 05:40 AM   #63
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Good resolution, Sam.

I guess on my end, I read Jeff's post a bit differently. In a thread where everyone is jumping down the OP's throat regarding how he feels (which was also my first instinctive reaction), in hindsight I realized that the OP was just being honest about his emotions. You have to give him credit for honesty. Also, anger, envy, and jealously are certainly darker sides of the human emotion spectrum. However, to say that the OP shouldn't feel these things, or deny understanding or ever feeling these things would likely be disengenuous in my opinion. I cannot say that I've never had any of these emotions or do not understand them, but I can say that I do believe the path to finding happiness in life is finding ways to appreciate your life and come to peace with what you've been blessed with. This is what I took from Jeff's post which opened my eyes to an alternative perspective.
Old 1 September 2012, 06:04 AM   #64
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
I agree Frem.
;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Fremstar for mayor of TRF!!!
Too funny Seth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
Good resolution, Sam.

I guess on my end, I read Jeff's post a bit differently. In a thread where everyone is jumping down the OP's throat regarding how he feels (which was also my first instinctive reaction), in hindsight I realized that the OP was just being honest about his emotions. You have to give hm credit for being honest. Also, anger, envy, and jealously are certainly darker sides of the human emotion spectrum. However, to say that the OP shouldn't feel these things, or deny understanding or ever feeling these things would likely be disengenuous in my opinion. I cannot say that I've never had any of these emotions or do not understand them, but I can say that I do believe the path to finding happiness in life is finding ways to appreciate your life and come to peace with what you've been blessed with. This is what I took from Jeff's post which opened my eyes to an alternative perspective.
Hey Ken, I hear you and do not disagree at all. I did not post a response to the OP's initial post because he followed up and cleared some holes up. My interjection between Tom and Chris response to Jeff's post was one of let's just move on, I have seen the mods remove some upstanding members for less and I personally enjoy reading posts from all three. I look at TRF as a place where we can come to temporarily escape the realities of our day to day and B.S. about timepieces amongst like minded folks. Anyway I appreciate your breakdown of how you saw Jeff's post. I always find it interesting to see how folks disect other people's words/intentions! Have a great weekend sir!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 06:31 AM   #65
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Ken, I hear you and do not disagree at all. I did not post a response to the OP's initial post because he followed up and cleared some holes up. My interjection between Tom and Chris response to Jeff's post was one of let's just move on, I have seen the mods remove some upstanding members for less and I personally enjoy reading posts from all three. I look at TRF as a place where we can come to temporarily escape the realities of our day to day and B.S. about timepieces amongst like minded folks. Anyway I appreciate your breakdown of how you saw Jeff's post. I always find it interesting to see how folks disect other people's words/intentions! Have a great weekend sir!
Astute perceptions on your end, and I completely agree. Sam, there's very good reason why you are so well respected on this forum.
Old 1 September 2012, 06:38 AM   #66
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
To be honest, I'm not sure that I feel envy any longer per se....maybe I'm just getting old....when I see someone wearing a piece that I hold dear I'm really happy for them and am content in the fact that they likely know what they have and appreciate it as I do.

Even when I wear my SS Daytona (not a particularly 'spectacular' timepiece)....I'm really the only person who appreciates it unless I find another WIS and I'm okay with that....just be happy with what you have....watches are the small-shit (forgive the 'French')...what really matters is health, family, and friends....anything else is icing on the cake.

Sorry for the swearing Mods....
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 07:13 AM   #67
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
you have no idea who you are refering to where they came from how they got there or how much they have suffered in there life
I would watch what you say unless you know who you are talking to and even then I would probably advise you to keep your condescending sarcastic comments to yourself
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
With all due respect, you dont know what my life was like as a child. However, this board and this thread is not for me to tell my family story.
Chris, Your right...I don't know what it was like for you as a child. I do however, know what it was like for me. No need to tell your story.

Tom, a portion (or all) of my post must have hit close to home. Condescending? Sarcastic? I've read, reread, and read my statement again and see none of the sort. On a side note: I'm a kind guy, but don't mistake kindness for weakness....do not 'advise' me, it's a silly statement to make on a watch forum...no less the internet.

Quote:
What does this prove? I know a couple of financially disciplined self-made shrude people. I know a couple of people who have squandered their inheritance too..
Not out to "prove" anything partner. Read my post again, I was making a point, you may have missed it.

Quote:
Good resolution, Sam.

I guess on my end, I read Jeff's post a bit differently. In a thread where everyone is jumping down the OP's throat regarding how he feels (which was also my first instinctive reaction), in hindsight I realized that the OP was just being honest about his emotions. You have to give him credit for honesty. Also, anger, envy, and jealously are certainly darker sides of the human emotion spectrum. However, to say that the OP shouldn't feel these things, or deny understanding or ever feeling these things would likely be disengenuous in my opinion. I cannot say that I've never had any of these emotions or do not understand them, but I can say that I do believe the path to finding happiness in life is finding ways to appreciate your life and come to peace with what you've been blessed with. This is what I took from Jeff's post which opened my eyes to an alternative perspective.

Ken, what to say? You understand my post and have a better handle of the english language than I do...LOL

Thanks for adding clarity Ken

Quote:
;-)

Too funny Seth!

I appreciate someone who can understand words for what they are. Thanks Sam

Quote:
Astute perceptions on your end, and I completely agree. Sam, there's very good reason why you are so well respected on this forum.
Agreed, Sam = Class act
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 07:27 AM   #68
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Not out to "prove" anything partner. Read my post again, I was making a point, you may have missed it.
I may have. People who inherit rather than earn their wealth are not nice? Only I hope my future son can inherit my watches and possible wealth. I also hope he will be nice. LOL I'm sure many on here share my sentiment.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 07:32 AM   #69
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
I may have. People who inherit rather than earn their wealth are not nice? Only I hope my future son can inherit my watches and possible wealth.

No, never said that. My neighbor is pretty wealthy and a super nice guy/friend of mine

I do share your hopes that my children inherit my wealth (what's left of it when I get old-LOL!)
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 08:55 AM   #70
Lanfor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner-16610LV
There are many people on the forum that have pieces I'd like to have, but I don't envy them. I know for a fact that 99% of the people who have these pieces have worked 10x harder than I ever have to get them (not to say that people who cant afford these ultra expensive pieces don't work hard)

Be thankful for what you do have and don't forget about the small things in life that bring happiness all of the time, not momentarily

Wise words as always Sam my man
Old 4 September 2012, 12:37 PM   #71
DucS2R
"TRF" Member

Sorry to have caused arguments, mainly I really appreciate the responses. I was talking to myself as well as this forum, and this is my favorite forum. I do that on forums sometimes just to throw my weaknesses out in the public, it can be cathartic. I am a very lucky person and I have a great family and life. But it bothers me that sometimes I still suffer from envy, I am not proud of that by any means.

I spent the Labor Day weekend in Baltimore with my older son watching the American Le Mans and the Indy races. It was a great weekend that I will never forget. It was expensive but I heard my deceased mother's voice in my ear about the importance of family relative to money. I learned much from her, and I am still able to learn. I appreciate your responses, they have helped me grow and learn as well.

And tomorrow Is my 61st birthday. So old dogs indeed can still learn!

All the best,

Tim
DucS2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 12:42 PM   #72
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
The grass is not always greener.....

Enjoy what you have in life, like family, health & friends.... don't sweat this small stuff!
X2

We can always still appreciate the beauty of those which I may never chose or be able to afford to own.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 01:05 PM   #73
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I am happy for people who work hard and spend their money on what they like...whether it's fine watches, cars, Lakers season tickets, vacations, etc. I work hard and appreciate what I have, but there are certainly those who work far harder than I do. I did not go to medical school, work through a residency and internship, etc....I certainly hope neurologists, cardiologists, etc. make more than I do.

I enjoy my Rolex watch, and see it as a nice benefit of our deferring gratification and living prudently. Obviously, there are others who do the same but lose everything they have in an earthquake, hurricane, tsunami, fire, etc.

I have no plans to ever buy a Lange, Patek, or Paul Newman Daytona, but I am very happy for those who earned it, and get one. I see TRF as a nice place to express appreciation for a fine timepiece...if I started talking about Rolexes at lunch, most people would think I was nuts!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 02:43 PM   #74
caryyee
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the OP's initial post, it was written honestly and he was just expressing his feelings. I admit, I'm prone to envy at times ... after all, it is a human emotion. But what keeps me in check is my bank balance in my discretionary funds account. I don't spend it if I don't have it, that my reality check!
caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote