The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 February 2016, 11:34 AM   #1
wintermute
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT1 16750
Inherited a GMT 16750 with issues

Hi guys!

It's been a long time since I've visited here! :)

Sadly my dad has passed away and left me with his watch collection. I have a speedmaster pro myself but have never worn a Rolex.

I'm going to sell his collection (all unworn and probably on here!) but decided to keep his GMT I. Cosmetically it's flawless, I always told him he should enjoy and wear it, never happened :(

The bezel feels almost welded on, doesn't move without a lot of effort (decided to stop trying to prevent damage), it's from 1983 and hasn't really seen the light of day since. Secondly I'm having an issue trying to set the GMT function. Looking on the internet it says that the second crown position will change the hour (mercades) hand and the date. When I try it's only changing the date. Am I missing something? If I pull it out to the third position it changes all the hands except for the second.

With all that said I'll need to get it serviced, it's keeping amazing time though. Aside from the official service centres, can anyone recommend me a repair shop in the UK?

Thanks in advance guys and girls. This forum is really interesting, I'll have to post more!

Ps: Here's a pic for reference
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 03:18 PM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The GMT hand is not adjustable on the GMT 16750. It turns independently in conjunction with the other hands. As your photo depicts in your post, the 24-hour hand points at the 10 on the bezel insert which indicates it is 10am. If you want to change what time the 24-hour hand displays, you will need to rotate the bezel and line-up the bezel number with the 24-hour hand for the time that you want it to display. As an example, if you want the 24-hour hand to display the time at 8pm (2000 hours), rotate the bezel until the 20 on the outer bezel lines up with the 24-hour hand.

As far as the bezel not turning properly, it probably needs to be removed, cleaned and possibly lubed a little. If you are not comfortable doing this, take it to a Rolex dealer or have a competent watchmaker have a look at it for you.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 03:24 PM   #3
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Gorgeous 16750! All GMT I's have the fixed 24h hand as John described; only GMT II's have an independent 24h hand.

Have you tried gently pressing down while turning the bezel?
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 03:30 PM   #4
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Beautiful GMT! Definitely a keeper and something to remember your Father by every time you look at it!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Jfullm42
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Beautiful GMT! Please be aware of sending it into a RSC as they may want to change a lot that will affect the originality of the watch. Such a great piece to remember your father by, my condolences
Jfullm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 04:17 PM   #6
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Springer's right: 24 hour hand synced with 12 hour hand. won't set independently like a GMT II. gorgeous piece! Got box papers?
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 06:25 PM   #7
lee fowler

Watch: GMT
Give Graham at Superlative Time a shout he will be able to sort you out. He is over at W5 and mention me.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 10:28 PM   #8
wintermute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Gorgeous 16750! All GMT I's have the fixed 24h hand as John described; only GMT II's have an independent 24h hand.

Have you tried gently pressing down while turning the bezel?
Thanks! I gave that a go and it does move slightly easier, I've set it to the time zone I want and I'll leave it there just in case. Glad to hear the 24hr hand is fixed, one less worry! You too John :)
Old 22 February 2016, 01:33 AM   #9
wintermute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Give Graham at Superlative Time a shout he will be able to sort you out. He is over at W5 and mention me.
Thanks Lee, have had a look at the website. His prices were what I kinda expected Rolex themselves to charge, even though it's not a big job. Am I being a bit naive here? Do you know what they normally charge?
Old 22 February 2016, 02:28 AM   #10
lee fowler

Watch: GMT
Best to ring him and have a chat, he will look after you and is a fountain of knowledge plus he is Rolex approved. He will need to see if first and then appraise it. He certainly will not rip you off.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2016, 03:36 AM   #11
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Sorry to hear about your father. Definitely NOT a job for RSC. Get some leads on repair places here and on VRF and do some research on each before you move forward. Get the watch evaluated and research each suggested service (some people get anal regarding stabilizing hands, polishing, etc. Better to do research and make up your own mind).
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2016, 03:51 AM   #12
timnik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Another vote for Graham at Superlative Time in Ealing. His workshop is worth the visit alone!

He's serviced my GMT-Master 1675 and my 1500. Both bought by Dad before he died back in 2004.

Mention Lee and the coffee and bickies come out!
timnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2016, 04:20 AM   #13
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Beautiful GMT!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2016, 08:22 AM   #14
Daytona4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: HBO:)
That watch looks magnificent. We'd love to see more pictures. Interested to see some of the other watches from your dad's collection too. Good luck with the gmt
Daytona4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2016, 08:27 AM   #15
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Lovely watch. Just out of interest, why is it wrapped in a napkin?
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote