The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 September 2012, 03:52 PM   #31
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Thats just wrong..
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 07:21 PM   #32
Billythekid
"TRF" Member

Too steep for a battery which costs like 3-5 usd

Sent from my 
Billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 12:58 AM   #33
OysterDavid
Banned

As a former Oysterquartz owner, here's my impression, at least from the Rolex USA perspective.

After a full service on an Oysterquartz, Rolex will then offer to keep the battery changed at no charge (other than postage getting it to them) until it's time for the next service (as determined by them).

My experience with the Oysterquartz was that the battery seemed to last about 2.3 years, and in the eyes of Rolex, it would probably need a service after six or so years, so after they give it the full treatment, the owner would be covered with free battery changes for the next two cycles of battery life, leading to the demand for a full service after six+ years.

For whatever their reasons, Rolex USA charged a price higher than mechanical movement for the full service. And, some research into the web site that specialized in Oysterquartz watches showed that when Rolex did a battery change, it involved not only the gaskets and pressure testing, but also a full timing process with temperature adjustment.

Is this overkill for what many view as a simple battery change? Perhaps. Could a good watch repair person screw off the back, replace the battery and gaskets and run a quick pressure test for less than the Rolex price? Most likely. But, Rolex is Rolex and nothing is simple or cheap and thus is the cover charge for using their services. Oh, and I did receive the requisite cool shipping box with the exclusive foam insulation, a polish cloth, the much sought after green pouch and the invoice, complete with their logo and the words "one battery change, compliments of Rolex". For a forum where even the little plastic pieces from unpacking a new watch are worshipped, that's not too bad.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 01:24 AM   #34
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
As a former Oysterquartz owner, here's my impression, at least from the Rolex USA perspective.

After a full service on an Oysterquartz, Rolex will then offer to keep the battery changed at no charge (other than postage getting it to them) until it's time for the next service (as determined by them).

My experience with the Oysterquartz was that the battery seemed to last about 2.3 years, and in the eyes of Rolex, it would probably need a service after six or so years, so after they give it the full treatment, the owner would be covered with free battery changes for the next two cycles of battery life, leading to the demand for a full service after six+ years.

For whatever their reasons, Rolex USA charged a price higher than mechanical movement for the full service. And, some research into the web site that specialized in Oysterquartz watches showed that when Rolex did a battery change, it involved not only the gaskets and pressure testing, but also a full timing process with temperature adjustment.

Is this overkill for what many view as a simple battery change? Perhaps. Could a good watch repair person screw off the back, replace the battery and gaskets and run a quick pressure test for less than the Rolex price? Most likely. But, Rolex is Rolex and nothing is simple or cheap and thus is the cover charge for using their services. Oh, and I did receive the requisite cool shipping box with the exclusive foam insulation, a polish cloth, the much sought after green pouch and the invoice, complete with their logo and the words "one battery change, compliments of Rolex". For a forum where even the little plastic pieces from unpacking a new watch are worshipped, that's not too bad.
Well here is one guy that don't worship the packaging stuff or out of date warranty papers.But you must remember there are quite a few mechanical parts it the Oyster Quartz, the drive train is from the cal 3035.Plus when the Oyster Quartz was first launched it was almost as expensive as a Sub and more expensive than a DJ. There is nothing special about the battery or O/ring used its just a quite common SR344,now a pack of 5xSR344 batteries only costs around £8.And any watchmaker or DIY to change it a watchmaker would charge around £30 and would include a pressure check after

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 05:40 AM   #35
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post

So the "free" battery change mentioned above seems to be true, after all...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 06:17 AM   #36
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
this is all strange to me as i came to rolex with my first thought of being rid of batteries...
my battery watches had failed me for the last time.
back on topic, prices that high, sure seems like taking advantage of the customer.
Old 4 September 2012, 08:21 AM   #37
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Luxury companies know that if you are dumb enough to spend several times what it's worth for a item, you're dumb enough to pay several times over again for the service..

This is true with luxury cars and watches and any other luxury item that requires a service.

Yes, I just called everyone on this TRF dumb including myself
Old 4 September 2012, 08:39 AM   #38
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
Luxury companies know that if you are dumb enough to spend several times what it's worth for a item, you're dumb enough to pay several times over again for the service..

This is true with luxury cars and watches and any other luxury item that requires a service.

Yes, I just called everyone on this TRF dumb including myself

i don't think that is the case at all.

here is a personal example:

i bought an ordinary (not vintage or collectable) rolex in 1991, i wore it for 20 years (every day), i sold it for what i paid for it... does that seem dumb?

imho, nothing like owning a car

your friends are getting to you
Old 4 September 2012, 09:38 AM   #39
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Sorry but that's crazy for a battery change. I would have walked & found a independent watchmaker.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 09:54 AM   #40
Time2time
Banned

Watch: Milgauss GV, Sub-C
I wouldn't pay that!!

I'd go somewhere else. It's a battery change and seal test.

As for "If you can own a Rolex you can pay the price"

What a loada rubbish!!!!!!
Time2time is offline   Reply With Quote