The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 August 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
DucS2R
"TRF" Member

Envy...

You know, when I first got into watches many years ago it was all very simple, my tastes compared with my colleagues and friends, some of us wore Seiko, a few wore mechanicals, the occasional Rolex, those of us who cared liked to talk and compare watches. Then with the advent of the Internet we all have a much wider set of colleagues or peers, with a much wider range of incomes, wealth etc.

When I first got into the forums, well over 10 years ago, I liked the people on the forums and considered them to be my friends. I kept up with them, starting with IWC's, Omegas, and eventually Rolex and beyond. That was fine, it mainly fit within my income level, which thankfully increased as I progressed in my profession. I bought entry level Lange, AP, JLC, etc. and felt reasonably ok, though my wife thought I was nuts. But the people I respected and liked were buying Patek and Lange watches that represented a quarter or more of my annual income. It depressed me because in my academic profession I will never be able to justify such purchases. As much as I admire the Lange Datograph, and no matter how many times my great AD has allowed me and my kids to hold it in our hands, I will never be able to justify buying one.

It distanced me from the forums because I felt like an outsider. Last year I started frequenting the forums again and have bought a couple of nice watches. I again am into the hobby. And I have come to appreciate that we all come from different backgrounds and income levels, and that some of us can spend $250k a year on watches, some can spend $20k, and some can spend $200, but we all share an appreciation for craft and watches and that, at least on this forum, we can talk to each other as equals. And I appreciate the fact that the people whose watch budgets are 10 times mine are still nice people who offer honest advice.

I am not perfect, I still feel envy when someone gets that $40k AP Offshore that I tried on last week but that is life.

So there, sorry for the boring post.

T
DucS2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Buy and enjoy what I can afford.
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Enjoy what you have or You will spend your life miserable! :)
Cheers

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 03:02 PM   #4
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

The grass is not always greener.....

Enjoy what you have in life, like family, health & friends.... don't sweat this small stuff!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
The great quote from Steven Tyler-Aerosmith

"don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff"

Enjoy whatever you have in life......
Old 31 August 2012, 03:41 PM   #6
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Hey Flyjet,

That quote isn't from Tyler, it's originally from George Carlin. It was in Carlin's second book.

OP,

Count yourself lucky; you can afford those IWCs, Omegas, Rolex, and beyond. "First world problems" comes to mind. Sorry to be blunt but I really can't feel sorry for you.
Old 31 August 2012, 04:06 PM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucS2R View Post
I am not perfect, I still feel envy when someone gets that $40k AP Offshore that I tried on last week but that is life.
It's all relative. I feel the same way when I see someone picked up that $150k watch I really want. However the beauty of this hobby is that it caters to all levels and fundamentally, a watch is a watch regardless of cost.

By the way, we all need a goal to dream/strive for in life. A Dato is a good one!

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I just dont understand envy. When I see someone else getting a watch/house/airplane that I can't afford, I'm happy for them.
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 07:00 PM   #9
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
It's ok to want more than what you have but don't ever get lost in it.
Live for what today offers.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 07:07 PM   #10
mmmk604
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Most people want more as they envy others around them.
I'll never stop wanting another watch or another car.
mmmk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
Enjoy what you have or You will spend your life miserable! :)
Cheers
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Hey Flyjet,

That quote isn't from Tyler, it's originally from George Carlin. It was in Carlin's second book.

OP,

Count yourself lucky; you can afford those IWCs, Omegas, Rolex, and beyond. "First world problems" comes to mind. Sorry to be blunt but I really can't feel sorry for you.
X2
Sorry but i dont like the thread name. Most of the members here if not all are having higer income than myself but i am just happy for them, happy to mingle with them and to work hard to become successful like them.
Besides the world has more serious issue than someone cant buy a watch with a price of house or building a hospital somewhere else
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 07:31 PM   #12
U5512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaline460 View Post
Buy and enjoy what I can afford.
X2.....I don't understand envy either.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I'm just glad that my 'grails' are relatively affordable

I love reading about/looking at the ultra-high end stuff, but have no desire whatsoever to own it - even if I could easily afford it (which I can't!)
Old 31 August 2012, 08:49 PM   #14
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
It's human nature for people (especially guys) to be competitive..... just the way many of us are built.......

Internet forums definitely allow people to show off their wealth and watch purchases in a way that would perhaps be less acceptable to your family and friends. The anonymity of forums allow people, if they wish, to create fictitious characters....... for example, I am sure there are members who have sold watches behind the scenes and yet still pretend to own them..... I am sure there are members who have contacts in the watch business who allow them to borrow watches which they in turn pretend to own........ So be careful of being envious of something which may not be reality.

But, ultimately, this is just a watch forum not a life forum and it's quality of life that matters not the quality of your watch collection.... even though it's clearly nice to have both....

People will also have different priorities and those priorities may mean personal wealth is spent on other areas such as property, fine wine or art or is invested rather than being "frittered" away on horological accessories......

Many people will prefer to give to charitable causes rather than endlessly add to their watch collections..... Some of the wealthiest people I know, for example, only have one or two watches....... even though they are fairly interested in watches.... and could buy anything they want......in fact everything they want.....

We have sticker alerts for a reason......
DiamondJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 08:51 PM   #15
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post

Enjoy what you have in life, like family, health & friends.... don't sweat this small stuff!
X2

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 10:05 PM   #16
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Remember, no matter how hot your wife is, someone has a hotter one, no matter how big your house is, someone has a bigger one, no matter how fast your car is someone has a faster one. I make a decent living. When me and the wife decided to start a family, we decided she would quit her job and stay home. Since then we've had to watch our $$$$ more closely. After we pay the bills, put some $$$$ in savings, and add to his 529 plan, there isn't a whole lot left over. No brand new watches or cars for awhile, but that's OK. A buddy at work just bought a new DSSD, I'm happy for him. We all choose to spend our money differently.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 10:11 PM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
i appreciate your words, and for sure i am very competitive.

but i can honestly say that i am just super happy with my life and:

i envy no man.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 10:20 PM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
keep in mind that happiness is a state of mind. happiness is found within the mind, not without.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 10:31 PM   #19
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
Quote:

Exactly! Of course it's always easier said than done, but we all need to remind ourselves of this because we often take the real important things in life for granted.
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 10:36 PM   #20
JV588
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
It's human nature for people (especially guys) to be competitive..... just the way many of us are built.......

Internet forums definitely allow people to show off their wealth and watch purchases in a way that would perhaps be less acceptable to your family and friends. The anonymity of forums allow people, if they wish, to create fictitious characters....... for example, I am sure there are members who have sold watches behind the scenes and yet still pretend to own them..... I am sure there are members who have contacts in the watch business who allow them to borrow watches which they in turn pretend to own........ So be careful of being envious of something which may not be reality.

But, ultimately, this is just a watch forum not a life forum and it's quality of life that matters not the quality of your watch collection.... even though it's clearly nice to have both....

People will also have different priorities and those priorities may mean personal wealth is spent on other areas such as property, fine wine or art or is invested rather than being "frittered" away on horological accessories......

Many people will prefer to give to charitable causes rather than endlessly add to their watch collections..... Some of the wealthiest people I know, for example, only have one or two watches....... even though they are fairly interested in watches.... and could buy anything they want......in fact everything they want.....

JV588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 11:30 PM   #21
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
I try not to be envious, but it's is quite difficult not to be envious of Ken's collection.

WhatTheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 11:50 PM   #22
Canadianjam2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Her.Chrono
Until i start making double what i earn now, that Platinum Patek will be just a pipedream...
Canadianjam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 11:59 PM   #23
jay1988
"TRF" Member

Somebody will always have something better than you. Doesn't matter who you are. Someone will have a more expensive watch, bigger house, more expensive Yacht or bigger plane.

I am very fortunate to be able to say that I will probably never struggle in life due to my family. By this I mean I will never be homeless and without food. Every thing else is a bonus. I am also very fortunate to have a beautiful girlfriend who really doesn't care about expensive things.
jay1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 12:09 AM   #24
JerseyGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Think about this also. How many people an just drop 10k on a watch in this economy. Be happy with what you have.
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 12:12 AM   #25
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Someday we'll be in the ground, as useless as dead logs. As long as one has one's health, food, and good people around, and can enjoy the sunrise in the morning, everything else is just details.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 12:15 AM   #26
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

My grails are my WIFE and FAMILY..... And this is coming from a guy with a lot of watches..
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 12:27 AM   #27
tinger
"TRF" Member

I know the perfect cure for 'Envy'!
Go google some of James Nachtwey's pics of famine in Somalia
tinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 12:39 AM   #28
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
I too am happy to be on these forums.

And I wouldn't say it's envy that drives me every time I see a new "Incoming.." thread. I'm just happy that someone, somewhere is a lot happier. I really love to see wrist shots of watches that I would love to have one day and I'm glad that someone is willing to share the pictures with all of us. Seeing them renews my drive to acquire them some day.
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 12:39 AM   #29
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I'm not a jealous person. I'm happy some people have greater means and that some take the time to show closeup pics. You have to dream, is how I look at it.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 12:43 AM   #30
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post

I couldn't agree more with everything Steve has said above. In fact so much so that my real life work boss and I were discussing timepieces earlier this week and I infact admitted that I am thinking about consolidating my whole Rolex collection and just owning 3 heavy grail (Patek) pieces and calling it a day! Yes, at one point I will want to own the WG Sky Dweller and/or The Patek 5070J, however, what becomes of my other timepieces especially the latest one's I purchased? Do I keep my JLC Duometre? I know my 18946 has to go as I cannot wear it to work so do I let it sit in my S.D.B. in hopes that it will appreciate? My first vintage timepiece (1655) the allure and joy of owning it is still there, however, at one time I said that would be my end all be all timepiece and yet today is the first time I've worn it in weeks... Every month or so I always tinker with the notion of also selling my 116619 with calls to Tony G and DavidSW I can go on and on and on... Anyway powerful post Steve and I echo everyone's sentiments that we should all be content with what we have! Family, Friends and Life! Be well all!

I should add that though I sometimes get thoughts of consolidating my collection this in fact may never happen!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote