The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 September 2012, 12:45 AM   #31
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucS2R View Post
You know, when I first got into watches many years ago it was all very simple, my tastes compared with my colleagues and friends, some of us wore Seiko, a few wore mechanicals, the occasional Rolex, those of us who cared liked to talk and compare watches. Then with the advent of the Internet we all have a much wider set of colleagues or peers, with a much wider range of incomes, wealth etc.

When I first got into the forums, well over 10 years ago, I liked the people on the forums and considered them to be my friends. I kept up with them, starting with IWC's, Omegas, and eventually Rolex and beyond. That was fine, it mainly fit within my income level, which thankfully increased as I progressed in my profession. I bought entry level Lange, AP, JLC, etc. and felt reasonably ok, though my wife thought I was nuts. But the people I respected and liked were buying Patek and Lange watches that represented a quarter or more of my annual income. It depressed me because in my academic profession I will never be able to justify such purchases. As much as I admire the Lange Datograph, and no matter how many times my great AD has allowed me and my kids to hold it in our hands, I will never be able to justify buying one.

It distanced me from the forums because I felt like an outsider. Last year I started frequenting the forums again and have bought a couple of nice watches. I again am into the hobby. And I have come to appreciate that we all come from different backgrounds and income levels, and that some of us can spend $250k a year on watches, some can spend $20k, and some can spend $200, but we all share an appreciation for craft and watches and that, at least on this forum, we can talk to each other as equals. And I appreciate the fact that the people whose watch budgets are 10 times mine are still nice people who offer honest advice.

I am not perfect, I still feel envy when someone gets that $40k AP Offshore that I tried on last week but that is life.

So there, sorry for the boring post.

T
sad post and completely NOT what these forums are about. they are about the appreciation of fine watches no matter what the cost. people who covet and envy people instead of aspirating to do better is what is wrong with the world.
I dont feel envy when I go to a Forumula -1 race because I cant afford one of those cars. I appreciate the technology and love the sport.

this is totally not about envy, there are always people with more than you but what this forum will teach you is that they all good people and VERY nice. and yes you can be a nice rich guy who is successful and doing well, because they earned it.
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 12:47 AM   #32
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
I just dont understand envy. When I see someone else getting a watch/house/airplane that I can't afford, I'm happy for them.
BINGO!!!!
Old 1 September 2012, 12:53 AM   #33
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I'll donate $5 to your watch fund if you can find 8,000 more people, then you will have your $40,000 AP!
Old 1 September 2012, 12:54 AM   #34
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
sad post and completely NOT what these forums are about. they are about the appreciation of fine watches no matter what the cost. people who covet and envy people instead of aspirating to do better is what is wrong with the world.
I dont feel envy when I go to a Forumula -1 race because I cant afford one of those cars. I appreciate the technology and love the sport.

this is totally not about envy, there are always people with more than you but what this forum will teach you is that they all good people and VERY nice. and yes you can be a nice rich guy who is successful and doing well, because they earned it.
I like how you ended your statement! Very accurate!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 01:00 AM   #35
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIvd3zzu4Y
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 01:02 AM   #36
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
It's human nature for people (especially guys) to be competitive..... just the way many of us are built.......

Internet forums definitely allow people to show off their wealth and watch purchases in a way that would perhaps be less acceptable to your family and friends. The anonymity of forums allow people, if they wish, to create fictitious characters....... for example, I am sure there are members who have sold watches behind the scenes and yet still pretend to own them..... I am sure there are members who have contacts in the watch business who allow them to borrow watches which they in turn pretend to own........ So be careful of being envious of something which may not be reality.

But, ultimately, this is just a watch forum not a life forum and it's quality of life that matters not the quality of your watch collection.... even though it's clearly nice to have both....

People will also have different priorities and those priorities may mean personal wealth is spent on other areas such as property, fine wine or art or is invested rather than being "frittered" away on horological accessories......

Many people will prefer to give to charitable causes rather than endlessly add to their watch collections..... Some of the wealthiest people I know, for example, only have one or two watches....... even though they are fairly interested in watches.... and could buy anything they want......in fact everything they want.....

We have sticker alerts for a reason......
great post!
Old 1 September 2012, 01:04 AM   #37
rnrmbs
"TRF" Member

The only thing I envy is health.
rnrmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 01:16 AM   #38
filfoster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubDate/GMTII/TTDJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucS2R View Post
And I have come to appreciate that we all come from different backgrounds and income levels, and that some of us can spend $250k a year on watches, some can spend $20k, and some can spend $200, but we all share an appreciation for craft and watches and that, at least on this forum, we can talk to each other as equals. And I appreciate the fact that the people whose watch budgets are 10 times mine are still nice people who offer honest advice.

I am not perfect, I still feel envy when someone gets that $40k AP Offshore that I tried on last week but that is life.

So there, sorry for the boring post.

T
Well said!
filfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 01:30 AM   #39
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Quote:

X 100 Looking at all the watches well out of my price range only make me dream of 'what if' and 'one day.' Sort of gives me a goal to shoot for, just like anything else out of my current means.
Mastergreenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 01:39 AM   #40
Aspirin
"TRF" Member

Endless desires stopped by satisfaction, just enjoy what you have!
Aspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 02:16 AM   #41
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post

I should add that though I sometimes get thoughts of consolidating my collection this in fact may never happen!
oh shoot... I was just going to ask if you were going to let go of that 116619 at a great price...

Quote:

those who are rich and humble did not get there by being snobbish and are the ones i truly admire and aspire to be
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 02:29 AM   #42
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like how you ended your statement! Very accurate!
We think alike
Old 1 September 2012, 02:55 AM   #43
RGonzalez328
"TRF" Member

I agree with people talking about HEALTH being the number one. Everything can be so great until somebody is struck with an illness and all the wealth and watches dont mean anything. I have 2 family members that died of cancer this year. My aunts were 39 and 52. Both of my aunts left kids behind... Just be happy with what you got and cherish these days we have. Try to stay healthy
RGonzalez328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 03:15 AM   #44
liuk3
"TRF" Member

My wife got this emailed from ING today for her birthday. I thought the messaging was particularly apropos if you have a moment to watch. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfY_vbrQrDQ
Old 1 September 2012, 03:33 AM   #45
Kyu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116759SANR
Honestly I've spent a lot on watches, It's an addiction.
But for me spending over 500 is a lot for a watch !
I respect people here on TRF not based on the price of their watch
but the moral of why they purchased the watch, it was out of love for the watch
and out of love for their hobby or in general reasons like that.

Don't envy others based on the price of their watches.

You should be proud and happy that you purchased, or received as gift or inherit.
Something that you enjoy.

Not a lot of people are happy in this world, We only live once.
Who cares what the price is and what not, As long as you're happy i say you're living it up

others should envy you for being happy !

my brains farting so I might not be making any sense, bare with me lol
It's still a Morning and it's friday for me
Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 03:35 AM   #46
seanthome
"TRF" Member

I think there is a bit of snobbery in all of this, by valuing an item because of its price tag. We could all buy perfectly functional watches for $100. But we a disproportional amount extra for a finer crafted watch that may keep time more precisely by a few seconds versus a few minutes. And then again a premium for certain name brands.
seanthome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 03:48 AM   #47
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Never have envy for anybody or anything ,be greatful for what you have !
Envy is a sin an not w/o a good reason ,it could ruin your and your family's life.

Best
George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 03:52 AM   #48
sig-x
"TRF" Member

Think of all the people that wish they had a quarter of what you own. Consider yourself lucky.
sig-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 04:26 AM   #49
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
What a honest post. I think there are many people who have experienced (or experiencing) the same emotions you have. With time, life will display what's REALLY important in your life and possessions will not be one of them. Good to have you back on the forum.

Quote:
I just dont understand envy. When I see someone else getting a watch/house/airplane that I can't afford, I'm happy for them.
It's easy not to understand envy (jealously) if you've never been without.....and I don't mean without a ferrari, I mean without dinner. If you grew up without a bicycle and saw the other kids riding one daily....trust me...you'd be envious brother.

Quote:
sad post and completely NOT what these forums are about......... and yes you can be a nice rich guy who is successful and doing well, because they earned it.
Nice warm response. "Nice" rich guy....is there a reason someone who is rich shouldn't be nice?

Most people are aware not all rich people "earn" their money....I know a handfull of "rich" people, two of them didn't receive their wealth from their family, or from a derivative of their families wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
The grass is not always greener.....
+1 This is SO very true.

After working for a very rich/world famous personality for many years, I've learned that money brings with it's own set of demons. Be careful what you wish for.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 04:27 AM   #50
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
My wife got this emailed from ING today for her birthday. I thought the messaging was particularly apropos if you have a moment to watch. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfY_vbrQrDQ
Great one Ken.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 04:50 AM   #51
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Great one Ken.
Thanks, Jeff. Glad someone could appreciate the message. Also, nice balanced post above you made.
Old 1 September 2012, 05:01 AM   #52
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What a honest post. I think there are many people who have experienced (or experiencing) the same emotions you have. With time, life will display what's REALLY important in your life and possessions will not be one of them. Good to have you back on the forum.

It's easy not to understand envy (jealously) if you've never been without.....and I don't mean without a ferrari, I mean without dinner. If you grew up without a bicycle and saw the other kids riding one daily....trust me...you'd be envious brother.

Nice warm response. "Nice" rich guy....is there a reason someone who is rich shouldn't be nice?

Most people are aware not all rich people "earn" their money....I know a handfull of "rich" people, two of them didn't receive their wealth from their family, or from a derivative of their families wealth.

+1 This is SO very true.

After working for a very rich/world famous personality for many years, I've learned that money brings with it's own set of demons. Be careful what you wish for.
you have no idea who you are refering to where they came from how they got there or how much they have suffered in there life
I would watch what you say unless you know who you are talking to and even then I would probably advise you to keep your condescending sarcastic comments to yourself
Old 1 September 2012, 05:03 AM   #53
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Quote:

With all due respect, you dont know what my life was like as a child. However, this board and this thread is not for me to tell my family story.

I cannot speak for others, but in my social circle there are some who make seven figure salaries, and some who earn less than $20k. I can assure you that those that have the biggest issues with envy are those earning over 100k. In fact they probably are not too different from the OP.
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 05:04 AM   #54
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
While so may feel envy I think that as long as it leads to one striving to achieve more in a responsible way, that it can be turned into something constructive. Of course there are ways to boost your watch collection by compromising other aspects of your life e.g. mortgage payments, credit card debt etc. However, as long as you keep your priorities in check and don't compromise your financial security I think envy can be turned into a good thing that can encourage us to work that bit harder and to make the most of our opportunities.
Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 05:06 AM   #55
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by sig-x View Post
Think of all the people that wish they had a quarter of what you own. Consider yourself lucky.
Very well said

Best
George

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 05:09 AM   #56
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you have no idea who you are refering to where they came from how they got there or how much they have suffered in there life
I would watch what you say unless you know who you are talking to and even then I would probably advise you to keep your condescending sarcastic comments to yourself
Quote:
With all due respect, you dont know what my life was like as a child. However, this board and this thread is not for me to tell my family story.

I cannot speak for others, but in my social circle there are some who make seven figure salaries, and some who earn less than $20k. I can assure you that those that have the biggest issues with envy are those earning over 100k. In fact they probably are not too different from the OP.
Tom and Chris, let's let this one go. I read Jeff's response to your comments and cringed a little as well, however, let's just read and move on. I too grew up without and have never envied anyone in my short life on this earth. Have a great weekend gents!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

Old 1 September 2012, 05:11 AM   #57
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Most people are aware not all rich people "earn" their money....I know a handfull of "rich" people, two of them didn't receive their wealth from their family, or from a derivative of their families
What does this prove? I know a couple of financially disciplined self-made shrude people. I know a couple of people who have squandered their inheritance too..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 05:13 AM   #58
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tom and Chris, let's let this one go. I read Jeff's response to your comments and cringed a little as well, however, let's just read and move on. I too grew up without and have never envied anyone in my short life on this earth. Have a great weekend gents!
well as usual you are right and I will, just struck a nerve when I think back to when I did without bicycles and food and more and still never blamed anyone and still "built it myself" and moved on and yes was always nice and happy to everyone not matter what. Anyone can be nice rich or poor and that can also go the other way also, I guess some cant understand that.
case closed.
Old 1 September 2012, 05:14 AM   #59
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh I'm not fussed, just needed to get my bit in since his remark was directed at me. I didn't see tom's post as I was writing mine. What he wrote made my subsequent post redundant.
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 05:17 AM   #60
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
What does this prove? I know a couple of financially disciplined self-made shrude people. I know a couple of people who have squandered their inheritance too..
Doesn't prove anything! We come into Earth with nothing and leave the same way

Quote:
well as usual you are right and I will, just struck a nerve when I think back to when I did without bicycles and food and more and still never blamed anyone and still "built it myself" and moved on and yes was always nice and happy to everyone not matter what. Anyone can be nice rich or poor and that can also go the other way also, I guess some cant understand that.
case closed.
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Oh I'm not fussed, just needed to get my bit in since his remark was directed at me. I didn't see tom's post as I was writing mine. What he wrote made my subsequent post redundant.
I hear you Chris! All good!