The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2024, 04:48 AM   #1
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Well, deposit was handed to my AD!

My first Rolex is on its way!

Paid my deposit to my local AD and she ordered my Datejust 41.

Reference: 126334 with the bright black dial.

My saleslady says it should be in by September but then gave me a smile and said "or sooner".

When can I really expect delivery? I mean a Datejust is not a Pepsi or Daytona...
Bald Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:04 AM   #2
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Regardless however you may have been mislead, it's not an order, it's an expression of interest. They will simply wait until a watch matching the description (or similar, or nothing like it) comes in and you may be allocated it. Congrats will be in order when it's due!
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:08 AM   #3
HotToddyTX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610LV
Is paying a deposit normal at an AD? What % did you have to put down, if you don't mind me asking? Assuming it can also be returned at your request...?
Old 13 March 2024, 05:10 AM   #4
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Well, deposit was handed to my AD!

It’s odd that they allowed you to put down a deposit, because, quite recently, several of us were told that that program was put on hold, by Rolex. It’s called an “intent to purchase” order. Sometimes they request full payment. Other times, a 50% deposit. I guess I’m going on a new recon mission, to get the scoop.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:20 AM   #5
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

I’m guessing 1 to 3 months for your watch to arrive. Congrats in advance!
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:25 AM   #6
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

It was a 50% deposit.

The order had an exact description of the Datejust and even had a picture of the watch generated from the Rolex website or their internal software.

I pay the rest when the watch arrives.
Old 13 March 2024, 05:28 AM   #7
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Angus View Post

My saleslady says it should be in by September but then gave me a smile and said "or sooner".

When can I really expect delivery? I mean a Datejust is not a Pepsi or Daytona...
How much was your deposit?

I know it's none of my business so please don't answer if you're not comfortable, but it bothers me when AD's want high percentage deposits (100% on new white dial Speedy's for example). In an environment of 5% six months CD's, it's adding hundreds to the price.

There is no need to take a deposit on a black dial Rolex of any sort. I'm cool with a sub grand placeholder deposit on a watch that may be hard to sell immediately if the buyer reneges, but on a stainless Rolex?
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:38 AM   #8
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Dont believe they can order anything, but have an idea of whats incoming within a certain timeframe.

Hopefully you will see that watch sooner than later and then its time to enjoy!
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:58 AM   #9
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
It’s odd that they allowed you to put down a deposit, because, quite recently, several of us were told that that program was put on hold, by Rolex. It’s called an “intent to purchase” order. Sometimes they request full payment. Other times, a 50% deposit. I guess I’m going on a new recon mission, to get the scoop.

Kat

This is what I was also told. That they would not take deposits, nor could they place orders for a specific model/configuration. It was on a "if we get it in we'll give you a call" basis.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 06:43 AM   #10
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
the watch is currently sitting in the back safe. the AD just likes to tease you, makes you think the watch is hard to get, and requires a deposit
worldofoyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 06:53 AM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Most of these watches can be sold immediately. I don't know why an AD would ever need to require a deposit. Deposits were and are used by merchants for special order items, which they probably could not sell easily in their store if the person ordering the item backed out. With Rolex, the AD is borrowing your money interest free, it seems to me.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 07:10 AM   #12
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Most of these watches can be sold immediately. I don't know why an AD would ever need to require a deposit. Deposits were and are used by merchants for special order items, which they probably could not sell easily in their store if the person ordering the item backed out. With Rolex, the AD is borrowing your money interest free, it seems to me.
Why would they not take 100% of my money and the watch and earn double the interest?
Old 13 March 2024, 07:23 AM   #13
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post

I agree with this. Since Rolex stopped the “Intent to Purchase” order program, the OP should have been put on a wait list. It’s more likely the watch is an exhibition piece, that’s not yet available for sale.

Kat

Old 13 March 2024, 07:43 AM   #14
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
Deposit???

I have never heard of this type of 'program' before and doubt if this is a Rolex policy. I recently bought a Datejust for my wife. We saw one at the dealer that she liked, but it sold the next day. So, I asked them to get me that same model and in 3 or 4 weeks they called me. We got it back in November 2023.

HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:02 AM   #15
Sgb020
"TRF" Member

I put 50 percent down on a polar explorer 2 in December picked the watch up last week.
Sgb020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:12 AM   #16
jpthib
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice, which AD in Houston? I too put a deposit down at Deutsch on Westheimer and was quoted 6-8 months back in February. Honestly, if it’s the same AD, seems quite rare for them to do this and unique to the normal Rolex waitlist experience. I didn’t mind putting the 50% down to guarantee I get it (in demand DJ 41 config).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:12 AM   #17
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgb020 View Post
I put 50 percent down on a polar explorer 2 in December picked the watch up last week.
Must be a Texas thing.
Old 13 March 2024, 11:16 AM   #18
gossler
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX GMT II PEPSI
My AD knows what they are getting 2-3 weeks in advance. They only ask for a confirmation deposit of 30% once they are 100% sure they will get the watch requested. They did this during 2023, and delivered Green OP41 and Pepsi within two weeks of me giving the deposit.

From what I have seen online and once personally at my AD (though they quickly hid the printed list), they CAN choose which watches to order with certain limitations.

My guess is your AD asked for a 50% deposit to be sure you will not back out, and will order your specific watch on the next order window, if available.
gossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:19 AM   #19
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Is this program AD specific? I know my AD never asked me for a deposit on any watch I wanted. Nor did they offer to 'order' any watch and accept a deposit for it either.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:20 AM   #20
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Putting $5,000 down on a watch that the AD could sell before the UPS guy is even back in his truck; and you don't really know if or when it might come in. And if the customer resists, then surely they will never get any watch.

This shows the compelling power the brand has on people, and the BS that AD's will put customers through.
Old 13 March 2024, 11:24 AM   #21
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

I’ve never put or been asked for a deposit and would never put one down. Crazy and to me a sign the AD has cash flow issues.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:24 AM   #22
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
the watch is currently sitting in the back safe. The ad just likes to tease you, makes you think the watch is hard to get, and requires a deposit
this!
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:25 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I hope you land it sooner than later
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:25 AM   #24
dg8dg7
"TRF" Member

This has to be AD specific. No way I would give a deposit for a watch without a specific delivery and honestly would probably ask for it back were it me and I found out others didn't need to do this. For a datejust, I'd be waiting for them to call me when one came in.

It seems very odd to me that an AD would take your cash for a watch that they have no guarantee of receiving in that specific configuration in a specific period of time.

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk
dg8dg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:25 AM   #25
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I agree with this. Since Rolex stopped the “Intent to Purchase” order program, the OP should have been put on a wait list. It’s more likely the watch is an exhibition piece, that’s not yet available for sale.

Kat

Or this!
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:31 AM   #26
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

It'll be a great looking watch regardless and as long as you're cool with the deposit program, that's all that matters. Plus, you'll be getting that watch soon I hope.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:36 AM   #27
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your future watch.

For the deposit, it depends on your relationship with your AD. My AD doesn't ask for a deposit, but I often pay the money in advance. Maybe I'm stupid, but I like to have it all paid for.

I'm also working on a cash budget these days instead of credit cards, when possible, so I'm a bit strange.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:36 AM   #28
KatGirl

Quote:
It was a 50% deposit.

The order had an exact description of the Datejust and even had a picture of the watch generated from the Rolex website or their internal software.

I pay the rest when the watch arrives.

That does sound like an “Intent to Purchase” order. I wonder if they just reinstated the program. OP, this was a legit service offered until discontinued very recently. Maybe it’s been reinstated, or ADs can use it for certain models. Of course, it was generally used for Datejusts. Sounds like it’s all good. I hope you get it soon.

Kat

Old 13 March 2024, 12:08 PM   #29
BigPapiDoesItAgain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
How much was your deposit?

In an environment of 5% six months CD's, it's adding hundreds to the price.
So go gray and add thousands?

I was told months ago at my AD that some pieces are allocation pieces, and they don't know when they were getting them, some pieces they find out they are getting, and some pieces can be ordered.

I was "offered" a 126711CHNR the last week of August 2023 and told it would be in my hands Dec 2023 or Jan 2024. They asked for a 50% deposit. I said ok, knowing full well what the opportunity cost of that money would be in a short term liquid investment such as a HYSA, MM, CD, t-bills, etc (about 200 USD). I mean in the grand scheme of things, the 8800 USD is not a huge sum, and the 200 USD lost opportunity cost is the price of a dinner out. The watch came in in Jan 2024. I got an unworn, brand new watch with an unimpeachable chain of custody at retail plus tax and more stroke with the AD. The same dealer also told me they could "order" any datejust combo same deal (1/2 deposit) and have it inside of three months. My brother just ordered one. That was about a month ago.

I mean, pick your poison. Until you can walk in and buy exactly what you want, you're gonna have to give up some squeeze I suppose.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 12:17 PM   #30
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapiDoesItAgain View Post
So go gray and add thousands?

I was told months ago at my AD that some pieces are allocation pieces, and they don't know when they were getting them, some pieces they find out they are getting, and some pieces can be ordered.

I was "offered" a 126711CHNR the last week of August 2023 and told it would be in my hands Dec 2023 or Jan 2024. They asked for a 50% deposit. I said ok, knowing full well what the opportunity cost of that money would be in a short term liquid investment such as a HYSA, MM, CD, t-bills, etc (about 200 USD). I mean in the grand scheme of things, the 8800 USD is not a huge sum, and the 200 USD lost opportunity cost is the price of a dinner out. The watch came in in Jan 2024. I got an unworn, brand new watch with an unimpeachable chain of custody at retail plus tax and more stroke with the AD. The same dealer also told me they could "order" any datejust combo same deal (1/2 deposit) and have it inside of three months. My brother just ordered one. That was about a month ago.

I mean, pick your poison. Until you can walk in and buy exactly what you want, you're gonna have to give up some squeeze I suppose.

If your brother just ordered a DJ a month ago, that is further evidence that they have, indeed, reinstated the “Intent to Purchase Order” program. I guess that’s good news. They did not pause it for long, then.
Weird!

Kat