The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 October 2018, 11:55 PM   #1
andy2518
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 GW mk1
Dragging your other half into your watch hobby

My other half does not get the whole watch thing, I try to explain it and she understands but doesn't seem too interested herself.

I keep thinking to myself to get her a watch as she will sppreciate it for sure but I am not certain it will make her any more interested.

Question is, is it worth it, especially since I have found her birth year lady datejust from Miltons with box and papers?
andy2518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 12:01 AM   #2
River
"TRF" Member

Get it. She may not become a collector, immediately, or ever but I'm sure the memories she collects with the watch will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 12:10 AM   #3
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

My wife appreciated the analog mechanical things and was ok with my watch hobby/obsession, but she wasn’t into it. A few years ago I gifted a mechanical watch that she liked from aesthetics / design standpoint (Meistersinger). Over time, she got several other watches including Nomos, JLC Reverso, etc, and today she even wears vintage pieces and most of her watches are handwind. She’s not obsessed with watches like I am, but truly appreciate them and enjoys them.

I think the key is to get something she likes, not pushing your aesthetic / brand preferences in the beginning. If she likes Rolex/Datejust, then great. If not, then take her to boutiques and let her develop her design prefs and let her choose. My $0.02.
coelacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 12:13 AM   #4
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
I've almost pulled the trigger countless times on a Rolex or Patek for my wife but she has never worn a watch and doesn't get the hobby. So I gave up and now I just get to look for more watches for me!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 12:17 AM   #5
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Buy her a Sub C LV.

Once my wife wore mine a few times and she was hooked.

Its more of a cool look/fashion forward thing...but whatever! She now likes watches.

Don't focus on it as a hobby, the history, the quality, etc....at least at first.

Problem I have now is that she wants to wear pretty much all my watches.

Be care of creating a monster.
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 12:51 AM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Give it a shot, Andy. I got my gal a birth year (1977) 1680. She loves the way it looks, the way it feels, and was over the moon when recently a client of hers noticed it and asked a lot of questions. She's very proud of the fact that she can now (albeit in a hysterically, ridiculous over-rehearsed voice) say: "Oh this? This is a 1680 Submariner, MAXI dial, with an Anti-Cyclops crystal...which is what I prefer." (yeah, that's what she calls the T19 replacement plexi).

-Andy
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 01:04 AM   #7
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
My wife was more into fashion watches initially, and still doesn’t care A LOT, but I started her off with a blue dial Hamilton that she thought was pretty, then when she sold her Harley (wedding present) I talked her into n Omega Seamaster with an MOP/diamond dial (still her favorite), and then at 50 got her a black dial Brietling with diamond bezel. She likes her watches now, but would be fine with a Michael Kohrs too.

So I guess what I’m saying is I don;t ever expect her to feel the same way I do about watches, but she’s learned enough now to spot them in public and point them out to me, so that’s a win.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 01:06 AM   #8
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I tried, didn’t work for me. My wife couldn’t care less. I gave her a dj36 a few years ago and it sits around 99% of the time. When she does wear it I think it looks great...
Old 20 October 2018, 01:12 AM   #9
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Got my wife a lovely Tiffany 1601 that she wore all the time....until she got back into running and I bought her an iwatch. Now the poor datejust just sits and collects dust. 'Twas a good run while it lasted.....
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 01:34 AM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

My wife has gradually become more interested. These are her three favorite "nice" watches, but she also has a white G-Shock that she likes. I gave her the old Omega hand-winder (cal 265), which she likes because of its history and the visibility of the dial. I also gave her the Air-King. Understandably, the diamond-bezel MOP-dial Speedmaster is her favorite; it was a gift from her employer.

There is some danger here. Recently she saw me photographing a Breitling because I was preparing to list it, and she said "Oh I really like that one, can you size the bracelet for me?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maureens.jpg (278.1 KB, 329 views)
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:56 AM   #11
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
It's tough. Some people just aren't into it no matter what. They just don't get it.

Does she currently wear a watch at all?

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 04:13 AM   #12
andy2518
"TRF" Member

From these responses I might see if I can peak her interest with getting her one. She used to wear a watch all the time but her previous one broke and she has been saying for a while she needs to get a new one.

Looks like a ladies Datejust it have to be.
Old 20 October 2018, 05:52 AM   #13
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
You can always start off easy with a nice Seiko, for instance the new ladies cocktail time watches are really nice:

Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 05:59 AM   #14
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2518 View Post
From these responses I might see if I can peak her interest with getting her one. She used to wear a watch all the time but her previous one broke and she has been saying for a while she needs to get a new one.

Looks like a ladies Datejust it have to be.
If that's the case I'd say go for it. Worst case she still doesn't really get it, but wears the watch all the time.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 06:00 AM   #15
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
I wouldn't "drag" her into, :) Everyone's different of course but my wife loves that I have this hobby (but I'm also not blowing all our money on watches) and is real supportive. For our 5th wedding anniversary (theme: wood), she got me this great watch box which has many meaningful/sentimental aspects (cover has a little plaque with the GPS coordinates of the venue of our wedding, each watch slot has something on the bottom that reminds of the life event that happened which is why I bought the watch; blanket from our kids when they left the hospital after birth, business card after a promotion at work, etc.):

Just a few months back, I surprised her with her first nice watch which is the one she told me she wanted some time back:

I'm not expecting her to become a watch collector/hobbyist...and not sure I would even want her to. I just want her support, :)
Old 20 October 2018, 08:47 AM   #16
R!$
Banned

its a good way to accumulate girls watches
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 11:08 AM   #17
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

My experience has been that most ladies do not appreciate vintage. (I sell watches as well as collect.)
My wife does not get it. (Well, that is understandable, as I am on the far end of the spectrum.)

I started her off with a vintage men's white gold Longines, with diamonds.
I think it was from the early 70's, and the type of watch you would never catch a man wearing now.
I then bought her, (well she actually took from me,) a couple of mid sized quartz gold watches.

I upgrade her to a modern mid size Datejust after a few years. That became her go to watch.

Recently she started grabbing my 36mm steel Datejust, and wearing that. I wasn't too crazy about that. As luck would have it, I went to a jewelers to look at a President. Well I thought they were asking a little too much for that. But he did have a 36mm TT Datejust with diamond bezel and hour markers and a mother of pearl dial.
The price was right on that one. And guess what. She isn't wearing anything else now.

So, my experience. Go for diamonds first. I don't think having a birth year watch is going to fascinate her.
I think the most important thing is that it is pretty.

Last edited by MILGAUSS88; 20 October 2018 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: ....
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 11:18 AM   #18
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I forgot to mention. After 14 years together she tolerates. She does not support.

Get a big safe to store the watches and if she asks "Is that a new watch?"
Answer "No, I've had it for years, I just pulled it out of the safe."
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 12:22 PM   #19
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
My wife does have some interest...she convinced me to keep my red sub...loves my Speedmaster an loves her rhodium dial yachtmaster I got her recently...she’s not a fanatic like me but appreciates the hobby
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:02 PM   #20
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Dragging your other half into your watch hobby

I think it is worth sharing your passion for watches with her and even getting her one. I'd let her pick it out for sure.

Similar issue with my wife when I was first get into watches. Once she got her first Rolex she understood the reason I like them. Now she has two and I'm sure a third will be coming.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:33 PM   #21
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

My wife isn't a huge watch nut - but did really appreciate me gifting her my first watch a 15200 blue dial. She wears it most days now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:33 PM   #22
tylerj99
"TRF" Member

Do it! I bought my wife a vintage Rolex Presidential and an 80’s Tudor mini-Sub. She loves them and now understands my crazy hobby (obsession).
tylerj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 07:44 PM   #23
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
I've almost pulled the trigger countless times on a Rolex or Patek for my wife but she has never worn a watch and doesn't get the hobby. So I gave up and now I just get to look for more watches for me!
..more watches for me..

hahahaha!!

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 08:46 PM   #24
andy2518
"TRF" Member

So here is what I am looking at getting for the other half.

1989 Datejust 26mm 69713 with box and papers.

Is listed as a factory set diamond dial at a price of £3000

I know there was a lot of swapping of dials etc that was going in around this time so the best I am hoping for is a period correct and honest watch. I have found the same watch (but from 1996) from a reputable dealer and done some comparing and to me it seems the former.

Can anyone see anything that I am missing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 October 2018, 09:22 PM   #25
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If your wife is not a watch person then don't try to force it. Different people want different things and what they want will also change over time. When my wife was late 20's and 30's she wore a ladies YG President with a MOP and diamond dial. She also wore a lot of other YG items. She moved away from the YG and went to SS as she does not see the value of WG or platinum. Sold the President and went with a 36 mm Date Just with the pink floral dial. Sold that watch after a number of years as she felt the dial was not for her anymore and went with a 36 mm DJ on a jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel and pink dial with batons. She wears it on occasion but the rest of the time she wears an apple watch. Just let her find her way and unless she has told you specifically what she likes or wants don't get it as she will have her own thoughts on it. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:06 AM   #26
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2518 View Post
So here is what I am looking at getting for the other half.

1989 Datejust 26mm 69713 with box and papers.

Is listed as a factory set diamond dial at a price of £3000

I know there was a lot of swapping of dials etc that was going in around this time so the best I am hoping for is a period correct and honest watch. I have found the same watch (but from 1996) from a reputable dealer and done some comparing and to me it seems the former.

Can anyone see anything that I am missing?
Looks very nice for what it is, but that watch would be too small for my wife's taste (and eyesight). Also, the visibility of those hands on that dial is not good. Are you going to surprise your wife with this gift, or can she go to the store with you and try it on?
Old 21 October 2018, 02:22 AM   #27
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I think the 26mm ones are too small these days. Look for something in the 31-36mm range. Once my wife got something bigger than 26, it as in a drawer and never worn again until I cleaned it up and sold it.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 03:22 AM   #28
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
My wife borrowed a pretty solid 79090 Tudor sub from me. 5 years ago. Won't give it back. I think a big sub on a little lady is cute. But I want it back. I have bought 3 different 30mm watches to trade her and she refuses. Mini sub? Nope. Even a mint 75190 she refuses. Don't be a Harry and let you girl borrow your rolexes !
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:00 AM   #29
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Don't be a Harry and let you girl borrow your rolexes !
Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 21 October 2018, 07:47 AM   #30
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
It's fun to look at the wife wearing the watch. But I want it back!
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote