The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 December 2009, 03:22 AM   #331
Alsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C
I see.....actually your 4th, but 3rd white. Lets see if you hang on to this one
I'm really thinking about one, that white dial so sharp. But I also saw Dan P's GMT 2 coke with that super jubilee....just awesome.
Alsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 02:42 AM   #332
Vladislav
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Well, the first one I discovered a large gash through the coronet on the dial when I brought it home, so I rushed back to the AD and they sent it off to Melbourne for a full dial replacement.

In this part of the world, once you buy a watch and your name and date are endorsed on the warranty card, you cannot return it.

Anyway, a full month later the watch comes back, but with the wrong dial - had just SWISS at the bottom instead of SWISS MADE. So back it goes for another bloody month!! All this totally pissed me off and I sold it just a few months later.

Second white dial Exp-II I traded it in with my LV for my current Pt. YM.

A black dial Exp-II which I had, I sold off earlier for a TT Blue YM.

This one has the 3186 movement and I don't think I'm going to make the same mistake again.

JJ

Hey JJ. So you currently have got 2 rolex? SS/ PT YM and EXP II in white? i absolutely like white color, so im thinking to get one of those, but not so sure YM or EXP II. Maybe you can give some tip, which is better, or more practical, or more scratch-resistant , any info will help a lot, thanks :)
As far as i understand right now, if im going for an EXP II, i need to make sure that its got a 3836 movement? white diel looks so great, im really tempted.
But YM quite good too, it looks like its got a grey dial? or YM exists in white too? (im not talking about YM II)
Whats the newest version of YM that i need to look for?
well, both watch are really great! so im a bit of lost here lol
Vladislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 04:05 AM   #333
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
Hey JJ. So you currently have got 2 rolex? SS/ PT YM and EXP II in white? i absolutely like white color, so im thinking to get one of those, but not so sure YM or EXP II. Maybe you can give some tip, which is better, or more practical, or more scratch-resistant , any info will help a lot, thanks :)
As far as i understand right now, if im going for an EXP II, i need to make sure that its got a 3836 movement? white diel looks so great, im really tempted.
But YM quite good too, it looks like its got a grey dial? or YM exists in white too? (im not talking about YM II)
Whats the newest version of YM that i need to look for?
well, both watch are really great! so im a bit of lost here lol
You certainly are lost, buddy!!

The YM comes with only one movement since its very inception back in 1992 and that is the 3135 calibre, same which is used in the Sub-dates and the SD.

If it's the Exp-II you want, then you need the 3186 movement and the latest would be the V-series.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 10:29 PM   #334
sylkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 2
I'm getting a pre owned Rolex Exp 2.
How do you check if the bracelet has a tolerable "play"?
TIA!
sylkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 07:00 AM   #335
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=JJ Irani;252729]Hi guys,

DIAL - Having had a bad experience with my previous white dial one about 3 years ago, I spent like 5 long minutes at my AD scrutinizing the watch very carefully under a powerful watchmaker's loupe.

Nice review ,I'm interested in your comment on the dial. I own a P series one with a white dial and was wondering what problems you previously had?
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 01:53 PM   #336
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

[QUOTE=patrick09;1536859]
Quote:
Hi guys,

DIAL - Having had a bad experience with my previous white dial one about 3 years ago, I spent like 5 long minutes at my AD scrutinizing the watch very carefully under a powerful watchmaker's loupe.

Nice review ,I'm interested in your comment on the dial. I own a P series one with a white dial and was wondering what problems you previously had?
Well, I came home to find a huge gash running through the black coronet on the dial.........I found this out only when I checked the dial under a 10x loupe.

Had to rush back to the AD for a full dial replacement. They sent off the watch to Rolex HQ, Melbourne and got the watch back a month later!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 31 December 2009, 02:25 PM   #337
ishgogreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 "X"
Excellent review, JJ ! Man, this forum has opened my eyes !!! Can ever said I'd be keen on a white dialed Exp II until I saw the maco photos. Same with the Jubilee - not a huge fan until I took a look at your Super and the one's that Dan P, got posted on his GMT....makes me think twice (actually way more than that). Just curious what your Snow White would look like on a nice Nato....

Seriously, that's what makes this forum great - seeing Rolex's that others have and LOVE...I'm a believer - just need to convince my wife on a second, and a third, etc....
ishgogreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2010, 03:25 AM   #338
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=JJ Irani;1537751]
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick09 View Post

Well, I came home to find a huge gash running through the black coronet on the dial.........I found this out only when I checked the dial under a 10x loupe.

Had to rush back to the AD for a full dial replacement. They sent off the watch to Rolex HQ, Melbourne and got the watch back a month later!!
Thanks JJ for the info. I just looked at mine no dial problems but found a nice little chip on the crystal at 3:00.I brushed up against a concrete wall in Cabo and now I see I have a souvenir to show for it. ggrrrr
Old 2 January 2010, 01:46 AM   #339
phantom357
"TRF" Member

Watch: me drink Guinness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishgogreen View Post
...I'm a believer - just need to convince my wife on a second, and a third, etc....
For those of us who married, the lady of the house must be sold!!! I suggest buying her at least 2 things she adores over the next two months and by the third month, you should have your next Rolex. You have to do what it takes!!!
phantom357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2010, 04:41 AM   #340
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

QUOTE=phantom357;1540259]For those of us who married, the lady of the house must be sold!!! I suggest buying her at least 2 things she adores over the next two months and by the third month, you should have your next Rolex. You have to do what it takes!!! [/QUOTE]

Old 5 January 2010, 03:03 AM   #341
gfair40
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Exp II White
Thank you for all the info JJ and other memebers. Looking to add the White Face Explorer II to my SS Sub very soon.
gfair40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 11:38 PM   #342
vedant
"TRF" Member

i have problem on my watch bottem is not Swiss made is somehting like Swiss T< 25.can anyone explain me what is that means???
vedant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 11:50 PM   #343
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedant View Post
i have problem on my watch bottem is not Swiss made is somehting like Swiss T< 25.can anyone explain me what is that means???
This indicates that your watch dial uses Tritium luminous material. This was used on earlier watches, being later replaced with Luminova (and the dial marked 'Swiss Made' or 'Swiss')

How old is your watch? Can you post some pics? Could be interesting

Cheers
Old 12 January 2010, 02:42 AM   #344
gfair40
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know if they are discontinuing the Explorer II. I've heard rumors. Or are they just that....rumors?
Old 12 January 2010, 02:46 AM   #345
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfair40 View Post
Does anyone know if they are discontinuing the Explorer II. I've heard rumors. Or are they just that....rumors?
For now..........just rumours!!!

JJ

Old 12 January 2010, 03:18 AM   #346
gfair40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For now..........just rumours!!!

JJ
Either way, love the watch. Just purchased a new White dial from TempoKing. Can't wait to receive it.
Old 12 January 2010, 03:19 AM   #347
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 03:22 AM   #348
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Either way, love the watch. Just purchased a new White dial from TempoKing. Can't wait to receive it.
Good move...........if it's the new V-series like mine, the added bonus will be the new 3186 movement - same as is in the GMT-IIC.

JJ

Old 12 January 2010, 04:55 AM   #349
gfair40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good move...........if it's the new V-series like mine, the added bonus will be the new 3186 movement - same as is in the GMT-IIC.

JJ
It is actually a BNIB but an "M" serial number. He told me that it did have the new 3186 movement. I hope that is the case???
Old 12 January 2010, 05:26 AM   #350
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
It is actually a BNIB but an "M" serial number. He told me that it did have the new 3186 movement. I hope that is the case???
Well, I think some of the M-series also came with the 3186 movement.

Just carry out this simple test......

Unscrew the crown, pull it out to position 2 when you can independently move the small hour hand.

Ok, now note the position of the hour hand on the dial and make ONE complete revolution of the crown. The hour hand should jump 8 hours with the 3186 movement, but only 5 hours with the 3185 movement.

Good luck - JJ

Old 12 January 2010, 05:36 AM   #351
gfair40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I think some of the M-series also came with the 3186 movement.

Just carry out this simple test......

Unscrew the crown, pull it out to position 2 when you can independently move the small hour hand.

Ok, now note the position of the hour hand on the dial and make ONE complete revolution of the crown. The hour hand should jump 8 hours with the 3186 movement, but only 5 hours with the 3185 movement.

Good luck - JJ
Will do. Thank you for the tip. Thought for a second there you were going to ask me to remove the case:)
Old 12 January 2010, 05:41 AM   #352
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Will do. Thank you for the tip. Thought for a second there you were going to ask me to remove the case:)
No need for that......but there's also another test, although the one I've described above is the better one.

The other test is.....

Same thing again......unscrew the crown, pull out to position 2 and move the small hour hand back & forth - just one small jump this way and the other way.

If the red 24-hour hand does NOT wiggle, then it's the 3186 calibre. This is called the WIGGLE TEST. With the 3185 movement, there will be a small wiggle of the 24-hour red hand.

JJ

Old 12 January 2010, 08:26 AM   #353
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for all the info JJ and other memebers. Looking to add the White Face Explorer II to my SS Sub very soon.
Good man. I got one for Christmas, complements the SS Sub BEAUTIFULLY!!!

I bet you're looking forward! Post some pics when it arrives.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:47 AM   #354
gfair40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Good man. I got one for Christmas, complements the SS Sub BEAUTIFULLY!!!

I bet you're looking forward! Post some pics when it arrives.
Will do. Have to go to Dallas for work so delivery is not until Friday now. Agree that the two go very well together.

SS Sub 16610 (D series)
Exp II White dial 16570 (M series)
Baume & Mercier 8797
Old 15 January 2010, 02:43 AM   #355
gfair40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No need for that......but there's also another test, although the one I've described above is the better one.

The other test is.....

Same thing again......unscrew the crown, pull out to position 2 and move the small hour hand back & forth - just one small jump this way and the other way.

If the red 24-hour hand does NOT wiggle, then it's the 3186 calibre. This is called the WIGGLE TEST. With the 3185 movement, there will be a small wiggle of the 24-hour red hand.

JJ
JJ,

Received the watch yesterday and it is the newer movement. I did both of the tests. Thanks for the tips.

SS Sub 16610 (D series)
Exp II White dial 16570 (M series)
Baume & Mercier 8797
Old 15 January 2010, 02:57 AM   #356
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
JJ,

Received the watch yesterday and it is the newer movement. I did both of the tests. Thanks for the tips.
Well done and congrats. Post some pics when you can.

Cheers - JJ

Old 15 January 2010, 08:24 AM   #357
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
That polar dial, is a killer! Great watches ladies and gents.

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2010, 03:19 AM   #358
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
I am trying to decide on my second Rolex and I am leaning towards the Explorer II. I like the fact it is so rugged and would definitely fit my needs. My first Rolex (bought a few weeks ago) is a TT Datejust Turn-O-Graph with a Gray Face which I love. But I would like to get the Explorer II for my everyday wear since I live a very active lifestyle.

There seems to be a lot of rumors swirling about the Explorer II. What are the chances of an update in Mach 2010 and if there is an update what are the probable changes. If you were in my shoes would you wait until March to see what happens and if there are indeed changes when could I purchase the watch? Thanks for any advice you may have.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 11:38 AM   #359
Rolex138
"TRF" Member

Anybody can advise what was the highest price of Explorer II when its demand was peaked in the past?
Rolex138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 03:49 PM   #360
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
this thread is one of the major driving factors that made me buy a pre-owned white dial Exp2. thanks for all the great posts!
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote