The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 31 August 2017, 08:56 AM   #1
Gigaton Punch
"TRF" Member

Buying PAM w/o instruction & warranty booklet

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing a PAM that comes with neither the instruction nor warranty booklet. The price is accordingly lower by about 400. Seller is well-regarded on this forum, so I don't have any concerns.

I will not be trading this watch. Any reason why I should not take this bite?
Gigaton Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Stack
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM312|AP 15400ST
If you don't have any desire to ever resell it and it will stay with you and it's from a reputable person then I'm fine with it. I haven't seen my box, papers, or anything since the day I bought my Panerai. I have them all but definitely not a deal breaker if the price is according to those things missing.
Old 31 August 2017, 12:10 PM   #3
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
if the seller is top notch it shouldn't matter....

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 01:34 PM   #4
nick c
Banned

If this makes you happy go for it.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigaton Punch View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing a PAM that comes with neither the instruction nor warranty booklet. The price is accordingly lower by about 400. Seller is well-regarded on this forum, so I don't have any concerns.

I will not be trading this watch. Any reason why I should not take this bite?
I'd not be overly concerned unless you 'flip' watches or there's a chance you'll need to sell it.
Remember, it may be tougher for you to sell it as a 'unknown' seller and take a bigger hit than $400. Were you told what happened to the papers?
Which model Pam?
Old 31 August 2017, 01:49 PM   #6
Gigaton Punch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
I'd not be overly concerned unless you 'flip' watches or there's a chance you'll need to sell it.
Remember, it may be tougher for you to sell it as a 'unknown' seller and take a bigger hit than $400. Were you told what happened to the papers?
Which model Pam?
I was not told what happened to the papers. It's a PAM 233.
Old 31 August 2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I see. Well it's up to you to decide what the papers are really worth. Is it a known seller?
The 233 it's a great reference. What series? Here's mine.
Good luck deciding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1813.jpg (12.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 31 August 2017, 06:09 PM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Which model Pam?
Quote:

Al1969 makes a great point. I thought the same until I saw you were considering a 233. Since there will always be a market for the 233, I would go for it if I were sure that I was getting a good deal.

A reasonable substitute for "papers" will be service documentation, assuming you service it at some point. As for the warranty booklet, who cares, except those that "need" a full set.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:53 PM   #9
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Personally, I couldn't buy a used watch without box and papers and even then, I'd have to take a grown-up with me or have the piece independently verified.

For a start, I'm one of these OCD people that 'needs' a full set. Aside from that, my knowledge of watches is very limited and I'd be one of the last people on here capable of spotting a fake or a genuine piece that had been Franken'd.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 07:06 PM   #10
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
My only concern is that we are always being advised that there are some very good fake PAM's out there which can even fool reputable dealers and we should therefore only buy with box and full papers.

So its up to you but you might find re-selling tricky - I know you say now you wont want to trade but you need to give yourself the option. Perhaps see if you can negotiate a bigger discount if your heart is set on it. Also,have it serviced by Panerai as soon as possible as they will spot if it is suspect and you will still have time to get your money back. If all is fine on the service then the service papers will act as a guarantee of authenticity - good for your own peace of mind or if you decide to sell.
Old 31 August 2017, 07:27 PM   #11
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
$400 is not much of a reduction for a watch w/o papers? Or am I going overboard here?

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 07:40 PM   #12
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
$400 is not much of a reduction for a watch w/o papers? Or am I going overboard here?
I agree Ruud. There should be a bigger reduction as the purchaser is taking on all the risk here.
Old 31 August 2017, 08:57 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Without revealing the price the seller is asking for the 233 it is hard to understand the deal. If the discount is great and they are knocking another $400 off then maybe. If it is $400 off what the going price for a pre-owned 233 minus $400 it is not worth it. The 233 is a sought after model but there are a lot in the market. I would have to have the box and papers. Contact a couple of Trusted Sellers and ask what the trade value is for one without the box and papers. Compare that to what you are paying and adjust accordingly.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 10:43 PM   #14
mfer
"TRF" Member

In house without papers aren't as affect as much as an eta or Val movements. You just have to worry about the watch being stolen. If you are going with a major reseller (David, than, Oscar, Bruce, etc) you'll be covered if you find out it was stolen when you go to service you Panerai.

Now, servicing your Panerai is a whole other story.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 10:53 PM   #15
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Surely you're kidding right? You think a work of worthless warranty card and instruction booklet is worth $400?
I have several Panerai in my collection which have booklets and warranty cards and I will gladly sell them to anyone for $400 each.

OP...Unless a super rare/collectible piece, I couldn't care less about complete sets. You said you plan to keep it, so it shouldn't matter at all. Save the cash.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 10:54 PM   #16
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I agree Ruud. There should be a bigger reduction as the purchaser is taking on all the risk here.
Curious, what risk is that?
Old 31 August 2017, 10:57 PM   #17
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Buying PAM w/o instruction & warranty booklet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Curious, what risk is that?

The risk that the watch is potentially not genuine. See my post above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 August 2017, 11:05 PM   #18
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Surely you're kidding right? You think a work of worthless warranty card and instruction booklet is worth $400?
I have several Panerai in my collection which have booklets and warranty cards and I will gladly sell them to anyone for $400 each.

OP...Unless a super rare/collectible piece, I couldn't care less about complete sets. You said you plan to keep it, so it shouldn't matter at all. Save the cash.
Its not about having the books but about documents certifying the authenticity of the watch. Unfortunately there are a lot of fakes around.
Old 31 August 2017, 11:26 PM   #19
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The risk that the watch is potentially not genuine. See my post above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, but the notion that because a watch has paperwork, it is genuine, is completely foolish and false. The counterfeiters of the world have figured out ways to fake a watch,they certainly have figured out ways to fake boxes, papers and warranty cards.
I have seen more fake boxes and warranty booklets than I can remember.
A watch is real because it is real...period. If a person doesn't trust their own knowledge they should have it inspected by an authorized professional.
Counterfeiters the world over are getting rich because the watch buying community has convinced themselves that if a watch is accompanied by worthless paper and boxes it is genuine.
If people wish to have a complete set because they see value in it, that's fine, but it means nothing regarding authenticity. Define buying a used watch ,I would have it inspected regardless of box and papers .
Old 31 August 2017, 11:50 PM   #20
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, but the notion that because a watch has paperwork, it is genuine, is completely foolish and false. The counterfeiters of the world have figured out ways to fake a watch,they certainly have figured out ways to fake boxes, papers and warranty cards.
I have seen more fake boxes and warranty booklets than I can remember.
A watch is real because it is real...period. If a person doesn't trust their own knowledge they should have it inspected by an authorized professional.
Counterfeiters the world over are getting rich because the watch buying community has convinced themselves that if a watch is accompanied by worthless paper and boxes it is genuine.
If people wish to have a complete set because they see value in it, that's fine, but it means nothing regarding authenticity. Define buying a used watch ,I would have it inspected regardless of box and papers .
With an older watch I can understand the lack of papers. I myself was comfortable buying my 1977 Sea Dweller without papers because I was buying from a highly respected and well known vintage dealer and I know its more difficult to find papers with an older watch.

But why are there no papers with a fairly recent watch? Either its not been taken care of or is possibly a replica.

I take your point that papers can be faked and all watches should be checked regardless of the presence of papers. But, replica watches are usually sold without replica papers. The presence of papers make it less likely that the watch is faked in my view.
Old 1 September 2017, 12:18 AM   #21
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
What I keep reading and seeing online is that Panerai fakes are so good that it can be almost impossible to discern them from genuine. I've read that this fact alone is hurting the resale value of Panerai. Especially making it difficult to trust a watch without full kit. Is it true that Panerai dealers won't verify authenticity of watches? Seems like the buying of a used Panerai has all kinds of potential for misteps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 12:58 AM   #22
Gigaton Punch
"TRF" Member

Interesting responses. Thanks everyone.

Can anyone direct me to a reputable seller that is selling a PAM 233 (with am/pm dial) for a good price and willing to accept a trade? Many on here have said that there are a lot of 233s on the market, but I have only seen a limited number. Thanks!
Old 1 September 2017, 02:17 AM   #23
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But why are there no papers with a fairly recent watch? Either its not been taken care of or is possibly a replica.
Great question, and I think the answer is simple. Not everyone cares. As watch enthusiasts, we may find it hard to believe, but the overwhelming majority of luxury watch purchasers are not collectors. Just as I don't have the owners manual that came with my TV, or many don't have the owners manual that came with their car, a box and instruction book is useless to most.
Many people may stuff it away, but some simply toss it.
A good friend of mine purchased a new Breitling a year ago. I was at his house shortly after , and asked if he got any free goodies...he advised me that his wife had tossed the bag the watch came in shortly after.
Box, receipt, papers, free hat....everything.
It happens
I actually like buying without all the stuff because it's a good bargaining tool and way to save money. I don't need more empty boxes.....
Old 1 September 2017, 02:29 AM   #24
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't need more empty boxes.....
Yes - I have a wardrobe full of empty boxes. Its got to the stage where I wonder if I should be insuring the box and the papers as well as the watches.
Old 1 September 2017, 03:29 AM   #25
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes - I have a wardrobe full of empty boxes. Its got to the stage where I wonder if I should be insuring the box and the papers as well as the watches.
I hear ya.
Old 1 September 2017, 04:53 AM   #26
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Interesting responses. Thanks everyone.

Can anyone direct me to a reputable seller that is selling a PAM 233 (with am/pm dial) for a good price and willing to accept a trade? Many on here have said that there are a lot of 233s on the market, but I have only seen a limited number. Thanks!
I think DavidSW has a couple listed on his site. Also , you can look at watchrecon and see what they have.
Old 1 September 2017, 06:14 AM   #27
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I know Bernard watch has one 233 and I can tell you that they are generous and fair in trades.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 05:25 AM   #28
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Personally I wouldn't - you have to ask yourself WHY are the papers missing???
I mean who buys a watch costing several $000's and 'loses' all the paperwork???
Obviously it's your money, your choice, but for $400 I'd be looking elsewhere..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote