The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 September 2020, 01:00 PM   #1
ericgtan
"TRF" Member

Datejust with Buckley Dial

I only recently discovered the 16030 Datejust with the painted Buckley Dial and something about it just spoke to me. The white dial with black numerals and hands and a smooth bezel (as opposed to the fluted) is particularly elegant to me. I think the painted roman numerals and the simplicity has kind of a Cartier-ish feel to it. A few questions for the TRF fam:

1) How does the 16030 DJ wear compared to a 1680 sub? I've got a 1680 sub and it wears so nicely on my wrist. I'm concerned the DJ might be too small.

2) At first glance this looks like a dressier watch (special event or business attire), but do you think this could go just as easily as a daily beater?

3) I've never been a huge fan of the jubilee bracelet. Do you think the jubilee plus the roman numerals makes it look too busy overall?

4) I've seen pricing all over the place for this reference... any input about what I should be looking to spend? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to vintage rolex and trying not to get ripped off!

ericgtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 01:41 PM   #2
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Congrats to You!! Thats a Beauty. I'm sure you will enjoy that for a long time. My 1977 says hello.. It's been in the family since new.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 01:47 PM   #3
ericgtan
"TRF" Member

Ohh im just shopping for right now. I wish it was mine hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Congrats to You!! Thats a Beauty. I'm sure you will enjoy that for a long time. My 1977 says hello.. It's been in the family since new.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
ericgtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 05:51 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

There are 2 watches I assume? The first one looks like a relume as markers and hands are showing green. The second picture is a great example with that patina. The smooth bezel is great. If you’re used to a 1680 or any sport model it will feel small at first. You just need to get used to it.
Old 12 September 2020, 08:43 PM   #5
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Smooth bezel makes it more sporty. On that basis, you can always swap the jubilee for a 78360 oyster bracelet with 558 or 558b end links to complete the sporty, less dressy, look with the smooth bezel.
Old 13 September 2020, 02:23 AM   #6
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Can't beat the 16030 for convenience with the quick-set date. Doesn't wear small, unless you're used to a Submariner. Be very critical of the hands, black original hands are a premium and a lot are after-market (take a REAL good look!).
Old 16 September 2020, 12:36 AM   #7
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I bought this back in June, hardly been off my wrist, keeps time exceptionally well, changes date near enough on midnight, the hands glow briefly and dimly, the lume spots do not, even after exposure to uv light. I own it, not the other way round, so it comes cycling, swimming and anything else that I do strapped firmly to my wrist. The Oyster bracelet has some stretch, I am contemplating sending it to MY in HK to get that sorted, and I have a Jubilee that is in good order as a substitute whilst its away.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote