The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 July 2007, 07:11 PM   #1
Colin Howkins

Icon3 The Maths of an old Rolex

Hello to all. This is all new to me, so I will see how I go.

Am in the situation where I am about to buy my 2nd Rolex, simply because the first one has all but worn out ????

Purchased my Submariner - Watch No 2644540, new, in March 1972, however records show the watch was manufactured in 1970. There was not a big demand for Rolex's then, but this watch was purchased to be used for it's intended purpose.

It has been regularly serviced, but I have been told that this watch has about 5-7 years of life left in it before the wear factor becomes significant.

Now this watch has operated non stop for the past 35 years, apart from when it has been serviced, and with the aid of a calculator the following can be determined.

Having a 1520 movement which beats 19800 times per hour in 35 years theis grand old watch has beat away over 6 billion times. The sweep hand has rotated 18.3 million times.

It has had a pretty tough life. A few years ago the spring bar holes in the lugs had become elongated with wear and the spring bars could rotate and the watch fall off my wrist. I was told at the time by Rolex that the option was to buy a new case. I did not like that option.

A mate of mine who is a dab hand at precision work drilled out the lugs and re-bushed them in 316 stainless. He tells me the most difficult part was holding the watch case horizontal whilst the milling machine bored out the lugs. Next, the watch case was heated and 2 pieces of solid 316 were cooled in liquid nitrogen then postionedinto the lugs. These were then drilled out to accomodate the spring bars and then trimmed off flush with the lugs and polished. You can hardly pick it

Is a Rolex expensive - not really. Mine cost $175.00 brand new. That's about 1.3 cents per day - pretty cheap timekeeping and they are bulletproof.

Love to hear if anyone else has got stories of mystery and adventure regarding their Rolex

Colin Howkins
Colin Howkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2007, 07:58 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Thats a great story Colin but still plenty of life in the old Sub yet plenty of parts around the world for the 1520.Even if Rolex says they will not service 30 plus year old watches welcome to TRF.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2007, 01:18 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Great story Colin,

I especially like the way that the case lug holes have been rebushed. To me, that makes this particular watch a keeper.

As padi stated, Rolex does not work on watches over 30 years, but there are plenty of watchmakers who do, and the 1520 is a movement that is also plentiful, so I could still see another 6 billion beats to go.

I have several watches 30+ years old, but none that have been worn continuously since, when I get a new one, the older ones get worn less and less.

Post some close-up and detailed pics of this fine watch.

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2007, 03:25 AM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Nice story, Colin!

Welcome to TRF!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2007, 03:45 AM   #5
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Great story, Colin. I think this is called "fun with numbers."

Welcome to TRF. Stick around and keep posting. Seems like you'll be a great addition to the party.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2007, 12:13 AM   #6
Superlative

Watch: Z16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Howkins View Post

Is a Rolex expensive - not really. Mine cost $175.00 brand new. That's about 1.3 cents per day - pretty cheap timekeeping and they are bulletproof.

Colin Howkins
WOW!!I wish I could go back and buy up ever sub they had! imagine how many sub you could buy back then with the price of a sub today! 30+ sub for the price of one today! Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!
Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote