The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 October 2023, 01:59 PM   #121
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F131F View Post

Thanks. This reminds me why I did not want to waste my time on Nico’s videos.

The story did not quite add up. At first it sounded like FPJ upset some collectors at a dinner then he is implying that FPJ is doing something which can affect the long term brand equity. Which I doubt can happen at a dinner gathering.

But all along nothing concrete was presented. I am sure Nico was not concerned about being sued since he already made some rather bold statements. It will only make his story more believable (and less likely to be sued) if he can provide some facts.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2023, 02:28 PM   #122
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Anyone watching this dude Nico for serious info.. well I don’t know how to help you. He’s incredibly annoying. Self-proclaimed “watch expert”. Zero class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:39 AM   #123
wsrobert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Anyone watching this dude Nico for serious info.. well I don’t know how to help you. He’s incredibly annoying. Self-proclaimed “watch expert”. Zero class.

Yes, that is his brand and why he has over a million subs on YT and likely makes considerable money from doing so.

But it's a mistake to confuse that identity he portrays in his own videos as who he is as a dealer. There's also plenty of interviews of him on other watch channels that show his real personality and knowledge of the space.

His own channel is a character he plays because it makes him money.
wsrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 01:45 AM   #124
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post

Even by the low standards of Youtube watch commentators, he is the pits.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 06:17 AM   #125
Gent675
"TRF" Member

Following
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 07:39 AM   #126
Armis
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure what allegations were suggested, or whether they are true/false, but I can’t understand why that would necessarily matter to FPJ watch collectors such that they would sell off their pieces. Unless there was something revealed about his watches representing some stolen IP, or if FPJ made some inappropriate/offensive political or racial comments (none of which I imagine are so), there can be no logical justification for a mass selling of his pieces. Plus, in this day and age, I’d expect if any big collectors got that miffed at a public gathering, it would be mentioned beyond one person’s YT video. So, I hope this isn’t some media ploy to influence perception of FPJ watches.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 08:05 AM   #127
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

God, this brat is unbearable. Don’t care whether this is just a persona. If this is what you feel you need to do to get attention, you lost me.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 09:34 AM   #128
PatexRhilippe
"TRF" Member

> if FPJ made some inappropriate/offensive political or racial comments (none of which I imagine are so), there can be no logical justification for a mass selling of his pieces

Disappointed at his statements for Only Watch though. His statement came off more as backing of a friend than backing of the organization. He basically doubled down that he trusts that Only Watch organization without seeing the financials which is the root of the issue. AP meanwhile did the opposite which is to withdraw immediately. Only time will tell. There's a good reason why they delayed OnlyWatch though.
PatexRhilippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 09:41 AM   #129
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatexRhilippe View Post
> if FPJ made some inappropriate/offensive political or racial comments (none of which I imagine are so), there can be no logical justification for a mass selling of his pieces

Disappointed at his statements for Only Watch though. His statement came off more as backing of a friend than backing of the organization. He basically doubled down that he trusts that Only Watch organization without seeing the financials which is the root of the issue. AP meanwhile did the opposite which is to withdraw immediately. Only time will tell. There's a good reason why they delayed OnlyWatch though.

Only Watch is still an open issue as audit is still ongoing?
Old 31 October 2023, 09:54 AM   #130
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatexRhilippe View Post

Agreed on this, but I figure that’s a separate issue besides whatever happened at that collectors gathering. I’m sure the OW story was a sensitive one for him, especially given his strong friendship (which would be the case for most of us in a similar scenario). Ultimately, we’ll have to fairly await the results of the audit.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 09:20 PM   #131
Gent675
"TRF" Member

In other news, FPJ and Dominique Gauthier (former chef of Le Chat Botté) just opened a restaurant today in Geneva.

https://www.fpjourne-le-restaurant.ch
Old 1 November 2023, 11:36 PM   #132
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent675 View Post
In other news, FPJ and Dominique Gauthier (former chef of Le Chat Botté) just opened a restaurant today in Geneva.

https://www.fpjourne-le-restaurant.ch
I was looking at the Geneva Oldtown Google map a couple of months back and I saw two FP Journe there. And one or two was marked as a restaurant, I thought it was an error until very recently. Wonder if one can improve their chance of an allocation if you dine there regularly?

I believe this is the same chef who traveled with him to the US back in May?
Old 2 November 2023, 01:11 AM   #133
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I was looking at the Geneva Oldtown Google map a couple of months back and I saw two FP Journe there. And one or two was marked as a restaurant, I thought it was an error until very recently. Wonder if one can improve their chance of an allocation if you dine there regularly?

I believe this is the same chef who traveled with him to the US back in May?

Stand corrected. He was not the one who came to the US recently.
Old 2 November 2023, 05:40 PM   #134
Gent675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stand corrected. He was not the one who came to the US recently.

Who was that one?
Old 3 November 2023, 02:07 AM   #135
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent675 View Post
Who was that one?

Sorry. Bad with names especially when it is in French
Old 4 November 2023, 02:40 AM   #136
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Sorry. Bad with names especially when it is in French

I believe you are thinking of Alain Giraud, who used to own Maison Giraud in Pacific Palisades (it has since closed after Caruso rebuilt the downtown area in PP).

Alain was at the recent FPJ event at the West Hollywood boutique.
Old 4 November 2023, 03:38 AM   #137
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Don't want to give Nico any more undue publicity, but he had another recent video he posted of him buying the Ferrari of his "dreams", and then proceeds to mod it with a 3rd party exhaust and reflashed exhaust management system.

Then he drives it though Europe to head to Monaco, taking said Ferrari and smoking the tires, doing endless donuts in a parking lot, ending up getting arrested (technically), lying to the police about what he was and was not doing in this parking lot (even though he recorded himself doing those very things and posting it on YouTube), and then frying his Ferrari because of said 3rd party exhaust, for which Ferrari (rightfully) declined to fix under warranty because he modded the damn thing (for which he was confused....he said he didn't mod the Ferrari, he made it better).

While at times I find Nico amusing, when I saw that whole sequence of events play out in the video above, I was thinking "What a tool." I actually ended up disliking him extremely after that. Not sure what he was thinking or how this was going to help him. The guys he was hanging out with also seemed like absolute tools.

Whatever.....I don't care what Nico says. I don't think FP does either.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 03:43 AM   #138
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I believe you are thinking of Alain Giraud, who used to own Maison Giraud in Pacific Palisades (it has since closed after Caruso rebuilt the downtown area in PP).

Alain was at the recent FPJ event at the West Hollywood boutique.

Yes. He must be the one at the event. He also has a CB on too.
Old 4 November 2023, 03:55 AM   #139
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. He must be the one at the event. He also has a CB on too.
All you have to do to get a CB allocation now is cook Francois a Michelin level dinner.

hmmm
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 04:38 AM   #140
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
All you have to do to get a CB allocation now is cook Francois a Michelin level dinner.

hmmm
That’s probably why I will never get an allocation. I can eat at a Michelin restaurant but far from cooking a meal at that level.

Now I wonder if the Michelin inspector will give his restaurant three stars to get a CB allocating.
Old 22 December 2023, 03:11 PM   #141
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Found this really informative article on the Chronomètre Optium.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2023/10/fp-...technical.html

This is definitely a “if-you-know-you-know” piece. Someone at the boutique just told me an interesting story on how he sold a CO to a customer. He was refusing to give out the price of the piece until he had a chance to explain the watch to the customer. At the end, the man forgot that he has to meet his wife and got the watch.

I probably would have done the same thing

An outstanding article.

The Chronometre Optimum is more akin to a Marine Chronometre than that of high horology. Goes to show to what lengths François-Paul will go to accomplish a vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 23 December 2023, 05:44 AM   #142
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd View Post
An outstanding article.

The Chronometre Optimum is more akin to a Marine Chronometre than that of high horology. Goes to show to what lengths François-Paul will go to accomplish a vision.

Journe had a fascination with marine chronometers from the start. The chronometre souverain was inspired by marine chronometers
Old 23 December 2023, 09:50 AM   #143
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd View Post
An outstanding article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Journe had a fascination with marine chronometers from the start. The chronometre souverain was inspired by marine chronometers
FPJ is more an "inventor/engineer" type obsessed with accuracy and efficiency. Unlike the more artisanal independents like Voutilainen or Rexhepi. I enjoy both schools and maybe that's why I am always broke.