The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 26 January 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
timelord
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
how to notice if a case back is considered worn too thin?

especially where engravings have been removed from the angular section of a Presidential case back where the brush finish is still evident? I am aware that the best way to tell is to remove the case back and measure the thickness but it isn't always possible when purchasing online? Worse still is that some engravings can be professionally machined off resulting in a uniform surface.

Is anyone aware of what minimum thickness would be considered acceptable?

Sorry if this may sound like a silly question.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 12:47 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Easy enough to get a new back. I wouldn't let it worry or stop me from buying a good deal. Now if it says Daytona or Winner, I'd probably run .
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 12:50 AM   #3
timelord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Easy enough to get a new back. I wouldn't let it worry or stop me from buying a good deal. Now if it says Daytona or Winner, I'd probably run .
I would suspect that a new gold back would cost more than what the watch is worth?
Old 26 January 2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
I took the engraving out of a stainless datejust back recently that appeared to the eye to be deep to me, and I'm a hand engraver so I was antsy to say the least.

A measurement before and after revealed I had only taken off 4 thousandths.
See this thread:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=171274
Tim Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 01:21 AM   #5
timelord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wells View Post
I took the engraving out of a stainless datejust back recently that appeared to the eye to be deep to me, and I'm a hand engraver so I was antsy to say the least.

A measurement before and after revealed I had only taken off 4 thousandths.
See this thread:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=171274
Thanks for that.

I was referring more to engraving on the conical section of the case back between the knurling and the flat brush section. Some engraving I have seen is also done on those sides and not on the flat section where the brush finish is.

Is a gold case back usually thinner than the stainless steel ones?

I know that less metal is used in the gold cases as opposed to the stainless ones - also to keep the weight of the case from being too heavy
Old 26 January 2013, 01:27 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord View Post
Thanks for that.

I was referring more to engraving on the conical section of the case back between the knurling and the flat brush section. Some engraving I have seen is also done on those sides and not on the flat section where the brush finish is.

Is a gold case back usually thinner than the stainless steel ones?

I know that less metal is used in the gold cases as opposed to the stainless ones - also to keep the weight of the case from being too heavy
To retain the water resistance the case and case back would be the same thickness as the SS models like say DJ of most of the 100m rated watches. And you would have to take a quite large amount of metal off to have any effect on its water resistance.Just pop into any high street watchmaker and ask them to pressure check it for you most can test to 100m or even less will do.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 02:44 AM   #7
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
I don't know the thickness but if it were me with it being gold; I'd find a reputable jeweler with a laser welder and with the back off, fill the lettering in with the same karat gold wire and polish it flush and it'll be like it was never there.

I would prefer this method over simply cutting that entire surface down to the depth of the engraving. It won't look or be right that way and there is the possibility of running into or partially rounding off the teeth where the case wrench gets its purchase.
Tim Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 10:58 AM   #8
timelord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would prefer this method over simply cutting entire surface down to the depth of the engraving. It won't look or be right that way and there is the possibility of running into or partially rounding off the teeth where the case wrench gets its purchase.
Exactly the reason why I was concerned. I keep wondering how many of them have had that entire surface cut down professionally which would be hard to tell to the average buyer and how many buyers will get skinned not knowing until it is too late!!! Thanks again for your input and to others taking the time to have their say.
Old 26 January 2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
I don't know the thickness but if it were me with it being gold; I'd find a reputable jeweler with a laser welder and with the back off, fill the lettering in with the same karat gold wire and polish it flush and it'll be like it was never there.

I would prefer this method over simply cutting that entire surface down to the depth of the engraving. It won't look or be right that way and there is the possibility of running into or partially rounding off the teeth where the case wrench gets its purchase.
I have watched a laser welder in use by a tutor at one of the local TAFE colleges.
IMO it would be very difficult to do as you suggest and the end result might not be acceptable.
My apologies if you are a master laser welder/jewellery manufacturer - have you used this equipment Tim?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote