The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2018, 04:24 AM   #61
-lenny-
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 👑
The only thing milk is used for in our home is cooking, we probably consume about 1L per 5-6 weeks.

Two reasons:

I chugged a glass of sour milk when I was about 7yrs old or so. Never went back.

And the below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Humans are the only animals that drink milk beyond infancy and childhood. And they drink the milk of not only another species, but another genus. The genome for producing lactase, the enzyme which digests milk is turned off in adulthood, so most humans are lactose intolerant. If humans were meant to drink milk, female humans would lactate perpetually. And eating cereal for breakfast would look a whole lot different.
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:28 AM   #62
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
how did you ignore the "Got Milk?" Ad campaign all those years? You totally missed out. I still dont know why the napkin industry didn't capitalize on that with a response. What a gold mine.
was probably too busy chugging gatorades
Old 16 October 2018, 04:34 AM   #63
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Do you drink milk?

Not in 25 years...maybe more actually. I don’t drink tea or coffee. Once or twice I’ll have cereal with barely a splash of milk in it. I don’t know why but I find it totally unappetizing. If people like it drink up!
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:45 AM   #64
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
My brothers and I argue about this, ha ... I drink real whole milk often and my bros try to convince me to drink the new fangled soy milk made in a factory...

Milk should come from a cow, imo
I quite agree, soy is an endocrine disrupter and the long term effects haven't been studied. The ill effects seem to start with posting Instagram photos making the soy face and it only goes down hill from there.

Stick with the cow milk. At worst it might make you a bit fatter.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:47 AM   #65
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post

I chugged a glass of sour milk when I was about 7yrs old or so. Never went back.
i can't drink orange juice to this day... one two many screwdrivers one night, freshman year of college. Just the smell makes me sick. So i get that.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:50 AM   #66
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Humans are the only animals that drink milk beyond infancy and childhood. And they drink the milk of not only another species, but another genus. The genome for producing lactase, the enzyme which digests milk is turned off in adulthood, so most humans are lactose intolerant. If humans were meant to drink milk, female humans would lactate perpetually. And eating cereal for breakfast would look a whole lot different.
The most popular book of all time includes a promise of the “land of milk and honey”. Why would milk be a reward of the promised land if it were bad for you? Sorry doc, I’m siding with the almighty on this one.

Female humans might lactate indefinately if you milked them. Just like cows. Stop milking the cow and she quits lactating.

FWIW, I drink almost as much milk as Bas. So do many friends. No one seems to be intolerant.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:56 AM   #67
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
The most popular book of all time includes a promise of the “land of milk and honey”. Why would milk be a reward of the promised land if it were bad for you? Sorry doc, I’m siding with the almighty on this one.

FWIW, I drink almost as much milk as Bas. So do many friends. No one seems to be intolerant.
because its a metaphor for your mother probably and fertility and good...and sweet foods are often a metaphor for knowledge.

So...You get to live in a fertile, good area to then be a knowledgable and wise people.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 16 October 2018, 05:00 AM   #68
doubleroll
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Not really to be honest but I do eat diary so not sure if that counts;-)

Maybe with cereal at times, but lately my wife and daughter has us on the other nut based stuff...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 October 2018, 05:16 AM   #69
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
because its a metaphor for your mother probably and fertility and good...and sweet foods are often a metaphor for knowledge.

So...You get to live in a fertile, good area to then be a knowledgable and wise people.
Nice philosophical reply, but factually unsupported. Milk and honey were rich sources of nutrients in those times. People couldn’t digest grass and weeds, but they could survive easily on milk. Aboriginal people in Africa still consume milk as a subsistance staple. Promising a land rich in milk and honey was a promise of tangible reward, not an imagining of what could be.
Old 16 October 2018, 05:29 AM   #70
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice philosophical reply, but factually unsupported. Milk and honey were rich sources of nutrients in those times. People couldn’t digest grass and weeds, but they could survive easily on milk. Aboriginal people in Africa still consume milk as a subsistance staple. Promising a land rich in milk and honey was a promise of tangible reward, not an imagining of what could be.
agree to disagree. There are tons of double meanings in everything. Its part of the reason people study it fort their entire life and never fully understand. Taking everything literally is one dimensional but reading it again adds a different layer.

Honey was probably crushed dates anyway. Bees were cultivated but dates were more common

It wasn't literally flowing with anything, its mostly a desert after all and pretty harsh place to live as opposed to somewhere more northernly. At least by todays standards. I would be pretty mad at the marketing pitch. Livable sure, but not the best area of the time within the fertile crescent.
Old 16 October 2018, 05:30 AM   #71
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Does chocolate milk count? Then yes
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:33 AM   #72
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Female humans might lactate indefinately if you milked them. Just like cows. Stop milking the cow and she quits lactating.
Oh, they do, I talked to a woman once who was still breastfeeding her youngest at 5. Yes, that is weird, and she actually admitted that too, but it was apparently very convenient.

Quote:
In Sweden and Finland 90% of all adults can drink milk, they still produce lactase. It is a good source of Vitamin D in the winter when the sunlight is too weak to make your skin produce it. But apparently it is also a good food source when starving. I read about it recently somewhere...
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:36 AM   #73
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I’m pretty confident my wife would not want to be milked...
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:43 AM   #74
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Whole milk with my cereal. Otherwise, it's water, beer, and whiskey.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:45 AM   #75
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
agree to disagree. There are tons of double meanings in everything. Its part of the reason people study it fort their entire life and never fully understand. Taking everything literally is one dimensional but reading it again adds a different layer.

Honey was probably crushed dates anyway. Bees were cultivated but dates were more common

It wasn't literally flowing with anything, its mostly a desert after all and pretty harsh place to live as opposed to somewhere more northernly. At least by todays standards
I'm taking it less literally than historically. People don't live on metaphors, they live on materials. Livestock were kept precisely for this purpose. Milk, meat, and hides fulfilled most of a man's needs. In a desert, critters that can digest the meager portion of weeds make for excellent livestock (camels have been domesticated for several millennia).

I'm not sure how you get from bees to crushed dates. Wild bees are common throughout the region. And dates were simply dates, not a metaphor for bee barf.

Anyway, people have been drinking milk for thousands of years, whether for subsistence or the divine metaphor. It's only recently that some dudes have decided it's bad for you.
Old 16 October 2018, 06:04 AM   #76
dan993
"TRF" Member

Drink milk everyday love the stuff nice and cold out of the fridge.
dan993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:05 AM   #77
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Oh, they do, I talked to a woman once who was still breastfeeding her youngest at 5. Yes, that is weird, and she actually admitted that too, but it was apparently very convenient.
These posts totally reminded me of the BC thread where some guy admitted to him at Chili’s that he breastfed well past what would be considered normal. LOL!
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:13 AM   #78
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
I used to drink milk here in the U.K. when full cream milk was available but now rarely seen.
The milk available at the supermarkets (all homogenised?) is parody of its former self.
I now drink soya milk.
Homogenisation is simply dispersing the cream within the milk rather than it floating on the top.
Get yourself to Sainsbury’s and grab some Gold Top or their own brand of Jersey & Guernsey milk.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:26 AM   #79
colpol
"TRF" Member

Every morning with my museli & a glass with my dinner at night

The glass at night is a throwback to when I was growing up - my mum always said full of calcium for strong bones etc but the supermarket milk is probably not a patch of the farm delivered milk we got 40 odd years ago. I remember my dad used to leave empty yogurt pots out so the milkman would put on to stop the blue tits picking trough to get the cream
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:16 AM   #80
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Nice philosophical reply, but factually unsupported.

ummm, facts the most popular book ever?

not sure if they coincide.

not saying any of it is true, or not. but it certainly is not factual.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:19 AM   #81
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I only drink on rare occasions.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:21 AM   #82
Chloe&Harley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss white
No milk at all don’t like the after taste
Chloe&Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:22 AM   #83
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Full fat on my porridge every morning and a glass at night to top my macros up
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:25 AM   #84
Langnam
"TRF" Member

One yogurt daily, and if I have cereal, I just mix in the yogurt. Maybe milk in bad coffee to take away the harshness. Otherwise, no cow milk for me.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:31 AM   #85
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
ummm, facts the most popular book ever?

not sure if they coincide.

not saying any of it is true, or not. but it certainly is not factual.
I was speaking about the archeology and cultural history. It is a fact. To this day subsistance farmers in the region survive off their livestock. Milk is a staple. And honey is the sweetener of choice.

You guys need to get away from the big cities and high end resorts, and out into the hinterlands. You will find that people can be happy and healthy without soy milk and almond butter.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:42 AM   #86
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I drank a small glass of 2% recently, the first time in years. It felt like I ate a tub of cream cheese. I’ve had pints of IPA’s that were less filling. It would take some time and effort to get used to drinking milk again.

IPA’s I’m acclimated to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:53 AM   #87
pallindrome
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Watch 42mm
In small quantities only - lactose intolerant as i age.
pallindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 09:04 AM   #88
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Anyway, people have been drinking milk for thousands of years, whether for subsistence or the divine metaphor. It's only recently that some dudes have decided it's bad for you.
Modern medicine has decided it's bad for some people. Regardless of history, where they live and what book they read.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 09:20 AM   #89
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
Modern medicine has decided it's bad for some people. Regardless of history, where they live and what book they read.
Modern medicine said coffee is bad
No, coffee is good
No, coffee is bad
No, bitter alkaloids in coffee are good, but something else in it is bad...

Milk is not good for some people, but is good for many people. My objection is the blanket dismissal in the name of modern science, when human experience says otherwise.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:22 AM   #90
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Since my heart attack in 2009 I only drink Skim Plus. It’s fat free with very minimal cholesterol and tastes more like whole milk than anything else I’ve tried.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote