The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 December 2012, 08:33 PM   #1
wando7777
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SeaDweller
Replace crystal on a new Explorer 216570 Please help

Hello everyone.
I am new here. I just received my Explorer II 216570 less than a week ago and have never worn it out of the house. I looked at it today and saw and felt a very small chip on the edge of the crystal. I have no idea how it happened but it is there now. I have had many Rolex watches over the past 30 years and have never had this happen, even to watches that I wore every day for years. I want to get it fixed right but am tight on money after buying the watch and with Christmas here. I had to sell a few watches and save money to get it. Can anyone tell me where the best place to get the crystal replaced at a reasonable price and about what it will cost to do it. Sorry to going on and on but I am sick about it and I REALLY want to get it fixed now before I go crazy.

Thanks very much everyone,
David
wando7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 07:42 AM   #2
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Local AD with a Rolex certified watchmaker or RSC. It should be around 200 bucks.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
unfortunateley the crystal for this model is not available and only a Rolex install Item. I recently found out that there are at least 10 new models which parts I cannot buy. Sorry it sucks but I don't make the rules. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 11:12 PM   #4
lordcon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 SD_Z serial
Quote:
Originally Posted by wando7777 View Post
Hello everyone.
I am new here. I just received my Explorer II 216570 less than a week ago and have never worn it out of the house. I looked at it today and saw and felt a very small chip on the edge of the crystal. I have no idea how it happened but it is there now. I have had many Rolex watches over the past 30 years and have never had this happen, even to watches that I wore every day for years. I want to get it fixed right but am tight on money after buying the watch and with Christmas here. I had to sell a few watches and save money to get it. Can anyone tell me where the best place to get the crystal replaced at a reasonable price and about what it will cost to do it. Sorry to going on and on but I am sick about it and I REALLY want to get it fixed now before I go crazy.

Thanks very much everyone,
David
If it makes you feel any better i have an extremely small chip on the edge of my brand new Sub's crystal as well that I only bought about 3 weeks ago. You can only see it if you hold it at a certain angle, I noticed it like maybe 4 day into ownership?

Yes I could have went back to the AD and demanded a replacement, but maybe the replacement would have some other factory flaw? Or maybe its timekeeping would be bad - as this one is flawless at +0 sec/day. I got over it pretty quick, because in the grand scheme of things, the 5-7 years time it will be worn daily before it gets serviced, its gonna pick up more abrasion than just a crystal chip - and then I will just have RSC replace the crystal.

-j
lordcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Most of my watches that get used a lot have small chips on the edges of the crystal.. It is not life threatening.. Usually the only way you can tell is by running a fingernail along the edge..

For the cost, and the likelyhood that if you changed it, it could get chipped the next day, I wouldn't waste the money..

If it is a larger chunk that is visibly noticeable, I would bite the bullet and get it replaced.. As mentioned, the Dealer/RSC is the only place for a new one.