The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 8 December 2012, 03:23 AM   #1
rob_d
"TRF" Member

Photo request for project

I've searched the forums and didn't find what I need. I'm working on a custom watch and will be fitting a 7mm crown with tube from a 16800 submariner to my case.

I'm looking close up photos of the case without the tube showing the detail of the threaded hole in the case. I need to understand how the gasket between the case and tube is seated. If anyone has closeup photos or even actual machining dimensions of the tube mounting hole I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!
rob_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2012, 04:58 AM   #2
rob_d
"TRF" Member

I received the crown tube and crown parts. After inspection, the crown tube has what looks to be a 45 degree chamfer which would mate to a countersunk hole in the case. I want to fit the crwon and tube into a project watch and need some help.

Would it be possible to post a photo showing the crown with chamfer and how it interfaces with the case, or even a photo of the case without the tube showing the mounting hole details?

Or does anyone have confirmed dimensions of the threaded countersunk hole in the case for a 16800 (p/n 7030) 7mm crown and tube?

I'd really appreciate it!!
Old 30 December 2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Do you intend to drill and tap the case yourself? If so, why not just measure the overall length of the tube from the shoulder that rests against the case to the chamfered end?

Then measure the thickness of the gasket and divide that gasket thickness in half and add that to the length measurement and that should be the depth of the hole if the gasket merely sits at the bottom of the hole and is compressed by the tube end when fully seated.

If I were making something custom out of existing parts then I wouldn't fuss too much with making it exactly like the watch it came out of and just do something that would serve the purpose, including re-cutting the end of that tube if need be.

In other words, think of what has to take place for the tube to seal and I'd figure this out by what the correct o-ring for that tube and the end of the tube look like and go from there to determine the shape of what the hole would have to be in rider to make it seal up.

I doubt anyone has such a photo but give it more time and maybe someone will yank a tube out of one of those and snap a macro for you.

Last edited by Tools; 10 January 2013 at 04:12 AM..
Tim Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2013, 11:46 AM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

hmmm sounds like your building a fake from a combination of real parts and fake case bought from one of the three well known sources, like the one above who sells these fake cases and parts, no help from me and i think your in the wrong forum, maybe try a replica forum
Old 3 January 2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

I just noticed the web address at the bottom of that photo after reading your post. Loosely translated to redneck english, yucky watch. Too funny
Old 3 January 2013, 12:57 PM   #6
rob_d
"TRF" Member

@TimWells: Yes that's the crown tube I have and want to use. I was able to get rough dimensions, but it is so small that standard digital calipers are tough to take accurate measurements of the details on the part. Thanks for posting the photo.

Nice try on your incorrect estimation on my project CROWNCOLLECTION. I am designing and machining a watch from scratch with custom case, dial and crystal. I'm using an ETA 2834-2 movement for the power and am trying to retrofit a Rolex crown. I chose the Rolex crown for its triplock sealing and availability of quality parts for ease of replacement in the future. The crown on the crown means nothing to me and I will probably grind it off before final mounting.

If I wanted a watch that looked like a Rolex, I would just go and buy one. I don't own a replica, never have, never will.

All I'm looking for is a photo of a Rolex case with the crown tube removed so I can get an idea of how it needs to be machined. If nobody has it then just don't respond. It's not that important to chime in with an innacurate estimation trying to diminish my request.

Maybe I am in the wrong forum, but I thought with a web address rolexforums it may be the right place. No problem, thanks for your input.
Old 3 January 2013, 01:13 PM   #7
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with your project but being disrespectfull to a very valued member of the forum is not a good way to get help.
Your right, this is a Rolex forum but if you read the rules of the site you would see that the discussion of fakes and counterfeits is not allowed. I see you have been a member here for a while so I would have thought you would know that.
I am sure there are people here that can and will help in your request but again, being rude will make most of them stay away.
Just a few words of advice and hope it works out for you.

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2013, 03:12 AM   #8
rob_d
"TRF" Member

The watch I'm designing will not look like any Rolex. It will not have the Rolex name on it. It will not have the Rolex logo on it. I am merely using a Rolex tube and crown. If this constitutes it being a fake or counterfit Rolex, then I will say my apologies and move along.

Would someone please explain how the use of a Rolex tube and crown on a custom designed watch that looks nothing like a Rolex makes it a fake our counterfit, I am willing to listen.
Old 4 January 2013, 04:14 AM   #9
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_d View Post
The watch I'm designing will not look like any Rolex. It will not have the Rolex name on it. It will not have the Rolex logo on it. I am merely using a Rolex tube and crown. If this constitutes it being a fake or counterfit Rolex, then I will say my apologies and move along.

Would someone please explain how the use of a Rolex tube and crown on a custom designed watch that looks nothing like a Rolex makes it a fake our counterfit, I am willing to listen.
I'm sure you can see the severity if you step back for a moment. Rolex is perhaps the most faked watch or luxury item on the planet. What you are asking for potentially has the ramifications of helping fakers make better fakes. Whether that was your intention or not this forum has a responsibility and a policy of not discussing fakes, therefore your request has met with some questioning your intentions. Probably best to consult a local independent watch maker rather then to put the experts here in the position of trusting you immediately after only 4 posts. I'm sure you are on the up and up and I'm sorry your not getting the answers you seek but it's everyone's right and job to be skeptical on this subject matter. JMHO and good luck to you.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2013, 04:54 AM   #10
rob_d
"TRF" Member

Understood, and thanks for your explanation. I wasn't trying to steal critical design features for profit, just using it for a one off prototype. Offline (private message) contact is available in most forums (this one included) for things like this, and a public flame war could have been avoided. A comment was made based on an assumption and not after asking my intentions. This is not the action of an expert or someone with experience.
Old 4 January 2013, 05:49 AM   #11
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Again, no one started a flame war as you call it. Just questioning your intentions on what you where planning. After questioning you, you jumped on the defensive and started throwing insults which you chose to do again in your last post.
There are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum and to trow insults to some of the experienced members here is not a great way to start a relationship here.

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2013, 06:19 AM   #12
rob_d
"TRF" Member

Tim questioned me, and without giving me a chance to respond, crowncollection assumed I was working on a fake/replica. He didn't wait for me response on my intentions. That was where I got defensive, not because someone asked me my intentions.
Old 4 January 2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

I think everyone needs to cool off a bit. Having read the thread, this is clearly not a 'fake' project, and although it's a sensitive issue using genuine Rolex parts, the OP has fully explained his intentions openly, and I don't see a problem with it. Also, to be fair, I don't see any insults or rudeness either. Just my take on it.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2013, 07:22 AM   #14
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
I'm sure you can see the severity if you step back for a moment. Rolex is perhaps the most faked watch or luxury item on the planet. What you are asking for potentially has the ramifications of helping fakers make better fakes. Whether that was your intention or not this forum has a responsibility and a policy of not discussing fakes, therefore your request has met with some questioning your intentions. Probably best to consult a local independent watch maker rather then to put the experts here in the position of trusting you immediately after only 4 posts. I'm sure you are on the up and up and I'm sorry your not getting the answers you seek but it's everyone's right and job to be skeptical on this subject matter. JMHO and good luck to you.
We all know the angles are incorrect on these fake watch cases and that is what we look for in the fakees, so you see, when you ask such a question, you are asking how to correct one of the few last problems on these fake cases. We get heaps of guys every week asking how they can correct such problems, your intentions in this case may be reasonable but I have a right to my opinion and mine remains unchanged, perhaps if you stick around here and be civil you will see my point. If you are fitting a rolex crown tube, i would assume that you are fitting a rolex crown, as that is what would fit and that my friend makes it an infringment on copyright laws and a fake, end of story, so your story is not holding up that you want to design a unmarked generic watch ? regards
Old 4 January 2013, 08:26 AM   #15
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeman View Post
Again, no one started a flame war as you call it. Just questioning your intentions on what you where planning. After questioning you, you jumped on the defensive and started throwing insults which you chose to do again in your last post.
There are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum and to trow insults to some of the experienced members here is not a great way to start a relationship here.
x2!

Old 4 January 2013, 09:10 AM   #16
honitel

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeman View Post
Very well said. Throwing insults and being rude is one of the 'RULES' any and I said any forums wouldn't allow and never will! Thank you.
honitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2013, 03:15 AM   #17
rob_d
"TRF" Member

My story is not holding up that I want to design an unmarked generic watch? Oh really?

Well I want to thank you CROWNCOLLECTION hijacking my thread based on your pure opinion of my intentions. You have no idea of who I am. I stated my intentions and you still choose not to believe me, and that's your perogative. But your closed mind and ill regard for others will be your demise. Carry on with your expertise and knowledge about something acting as though you created it and know everything about it. From what I see you have only tried to discredit me and my initiative based on speculation.

Just because you are a self proclaimed expert doesn't give you the right to try to make someone else out to be a fool. That's great you believe you know alot about something that is so insignificant in the big picture of life.

I suggest you with hold any further false accusations my friend or they will be used against you.
Old 5 January 2013, 07:34 PM   #18
varld
Banned

Watch: GMT Master II
That would be cool if you made a custom watch.
varld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2013, 03:25 AM   #19
Elementa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Do you have a drawing of your concept? I'd really enjoy seeing it.
Elementa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 12:31 AM   #20
rob_d
"TRF" Member

I don't have enough detail in the 3D model to post anything worthwhile. It's a work in progress and I'm tweaking as I go along. This is my first attempt at a watch and once I think I've got it, something else pops up that I didn't realize was important. But my target for the overall design and feel will be similar to the old steam gauges used on early trains. It will have a round bronze case, a circular brushed stainless steel dial, a plastic domed crystal, and a raw leather strap. Just when I think I have a new idea on a style, or strap attachment, or crystal mount, or bezel mount, a quick search shows that its already been done. So I've decided to just go with my ideas and if its been done before then so be it. The final product I have in mind doesn't look like anything else I've seen. And if it has, well, in the end I can say that the one I have will be one of a kind and that I put it together.

I know this forum is rolex related and my watch project really isn't rolex related aside from the crown tube discussion above, so I probably won't do much posting about it here. I apologize that this thread turned into what it did and that wasn't my intention. I didn't realize the rolex culture on this forum was this guarded. I really was just looking for some technical guidance on that one part for my own use.

None of the experts listed as experts on this forum responded and I understand that either the information is unknown by them, or it just doesn't want to be shared. Reverse engineering something isn't that complicated, it just takes time and an understanding of machining processes. The copies out there are not perfect because of lack of investment money for development and tooling compared to return on investment...not because they aren't smart enough to figure it out.
Old 8 January 2013, 01:33 AM   #21
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Perhaps a mod can delete the image with that awful web address in it?
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 04:53 AM   #22
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
There are many decent generic waterproof tubes and crowns available that can be had a most any good supply house. Using a patent protected part on your prototype while it being one of the best tubes and crowns on the market you're still treading on thin ice. Why not use a generic part first then once you get this project off the ground if you wanted you could always slightly modify your design. just my 2 cents. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 10:03 AM   #23
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
There are many decent generic waterproof tubes and crowns available that can be had a most any good supply house. Using a patent protected part on your prototype while it being one of the best tubes and crowns on the market you're still treading on thin ice. Why not use a generic part first then once you get this project off the ground if you wanted you could always slightly modify your design. just my 2 cents. Rikki
exactly my thoughts, why a rolex crown tube ?
Old 8 January 2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

I'm a moderator on another forum with this same software and I guess I just got used to the way my controls are set up there.

However, when I tried to delete that photo or my thread I see no way to do it. I just don't have the access here so any Mod is welcome to delete my photo and post as they see fit; won't bother me a bit.
Old 8 January 2013, 11:41 PM   #25
rob_d
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
exactly my thoughts, why a rolex crown tube ?
A few reasons. For starters, I believe we all agree it is one of the best tube and crown on the market. Parts are high quality and readily available in both aftermarket AND original used parts. And the prices are much cheaper than having custom parts machined.

It comes down to cost and time investment. Until I design my own, I wanted to use the best available while minimizing my cost and time.
Old 9 January 2013, 12:18 PM   #26
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Clearly understood
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 04:19 AM   #27
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wells View Post
I'm a moderator on another forum with this same software and I guess I just got used to the way my controls are set up there.

However, when I tried to delete that photo or my thread I see no way to do it. I just don't have the access here so any Mod is welcome to delete my photo and post as they see fit; won't bother me a bit.
I edited your post.

As to the OP, seating a gasket surface is pretty basic in machine work.. You tap the case, then machine/mill a flat for the tube and gasket to seat against. The taper visible is to keep that part above the case for clearance.

Please keep your attitude in check. Veiled threats to members will not be tolerated.
Old 10 January 2013, 04:31 AM   #28
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

Thanks Boss.
Old 10 January 2013, 04:32 AM   #29
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

I double posted, please remove this one since I don't have a delete function. Sorry bout that. Can I get a delete permission added for when I edit my own posts?
Old 10 January 2013, 04:40 AM   #30
rob_d
"TRF" Member

Thank you Tools for your response on the countersunk tapped hole and the reason for the tapered surface. That's all I was looking for.

I don't tolerate attitudes as much as members here don't tolerate attitudes. Sounds like I fit right in.