The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 12 January 2013, 01:04 AM   #1
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Misaligned Bezel on GMT IIC...Is this a simple fix?

My father has a 18K GMT IIC that he purchased a little over a year ago. Recently, we noticed that the triangle on the ceramic bezel does not line up properly at 12 o'clock. Effectively, it is off center a degree or 2 (i.e., the triangle points more between 1 min - 2 min after the hour). When turning the bezel, there is obviously very defined points where the bezel is allowed to stop (attribute that to the ball bearing system I guess)...and that doesn't appear to be the issue. From what I can tell, it's as if the entire bezel was either placed just a bit off on the case, or the ceramic insert was set improperly in the rotating bezel.

So here is my question, is there a simple way to adjust the bezel so that the triangle on it lines up properly with 12 o'clock. Again, it's only off a few degrees...but I'm not familiar with how the various parts are put together and whether minor adjustments such as this are even doable. I don't mind taking it to a qualified Rolex technician...I'm more trying to figure out if the entire bezel would need to be replaced.

Thoughts?
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2013, 03:59 AM   #2
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
the numbers on the bezel insert so im sure your mech's fine it was just misplaced, I dont know how there set in so maybe the font was missaligned? or if it could slide after being put in. I don't think it will be an expensive fix... unless it needs a new insert. Is it still under warranty?
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2013, 04:39 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
My father has a 18K GMT IIC that he purchased a little over a year ago. Recently, we noticed that the triangle on the ceramic bezel does not line up properly at 12 o'clock. Effectively, it is off center a degree or 2 (i.e., the triangle points more between 1 min - 2 min after the hour). When turning the bezel, there is obviously very defined points where the bezel is allowed to stop (attribute that to the ball bearing system I guess)...and that doesn't appear to be the issue. From what I can tell, it's as if the entire bezel was either placed just a bit off on the case, or the ceramic insert was set improperly in the rotating bezel.

So here is my question, is there a simple way to adjust the bezel so that the triangle on it lines up properly with 12 o'clock. Again, it's only off a few degrees...but I'm not familiar with how the various parts are put together and whether minor adjustments such as this are even doable. I don't mind taking it to a qualified Rolex technician...I'm more trying to figure out if the entire bezel would need to be replaced.

Thoughts?
Myself would not worry about it the bezel is supposed to be moved and in reality to line up to your second time zone.Afraid if its worries you that much the bezel insert must be removed and replaced but that needs special tools so its back to a RSC .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2013, 04:51 AM   #4
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
the numbers on the bezel insert so im sure your mech's fine it was just misplaced, I dont know how there set in so maybe the font was missaligned? or if it could slide after being put in. I don't think it will be an expensive fix... unless it needs a new insert. Is it still under warranty?
Yes...it's under warranty. Purchased December 2011.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Camel
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
It sounds like the insert was'nt aligned 100% - RSC should be able to sort it out in a jiffy.
Rolex Deepsea D-Blue Horizon 116660 "3170xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Polar 16570 "T20xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Black 216570 "G53xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II 16710 "P32xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II Ceramic 116710LN "V97xxxx"
Rolex Submariner 16610 "Z61xxxx"
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LN "G79xxxx"
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote