The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 21 January 2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Biagio
"TRF" Member

Explorer II bezel swap

Ive seen a few posts on this but would like to know if I should put this to rest or to pursue it..I have a Rolex explorer II I was given as a anniversary present in 2003...I Love the watch but have always wanted a GMT or Sub..As this was a present its not an option to sell..I did recently see an explorer II with a GMT Bezel "not a GMT with a Rolex dial" link below..apparently from what I gather they share the same case HOWEVER the Explorer uses the bezel as the crystal retaining ring and the GMT's has a retaining ring that has the divot for the bezel spring. I love the look of this..and really could care less what anyone else thinks and actually would LOVE to be challenged as to it being an authentic Rolex..and as for anyone saying this is a frankenrolex come on this is the equivalent of changing hair color...my wife's Cellini with a 1601 calbre and a jubilee dial from a 1602 calbre set in a generic case...thats a frankenrolex
http://www.newturfers.com/bin/mwf/to...w.pl?tid=49842
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorer gmt.JPG (22.2 KB, 625 views)
Biagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Biagio
"TRF" Member

Can it at least be confirmed or denied that there is a small hole on the explorer case at 2:00 for the click spring...I work at McIntosh Laboratories building the worlds best audiophile equipment and believe be we use a lot of the same parts on different amps..
Old 22 January 2013, 02:46 AM   #3
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biagio View Post
Ive seen a few posts on this but would like to know if I should put this to rest or to pursue it..I have a Rolex explorer II I was given as a anniversary present in 2003...I Love the watch but have always wanted a GMT or Sub..As this was a present its not an option to sell..I did recently see an explorer II with a GMT Bezel "not a GMT with a Rolex dial" link below..apparently from what I gather they share the same case HOWEVER the Explorer uses the bezel as the crystal retaining ring and the GMT's has a retaining ring that has the divot for the bezel spring. I love the look of this..and really could care less what anyone else thinks and actually would LOVE to be challenged as to it being an authentic Rolex..and as for anyone saying this is a frankenrolex come on this is the equivalent of changing hair color...my wife's Cellini with a 1601 calbre and a jubilee dial from a 1602 calbre set in a generic case...thats a frankenrolex
http://www.newturfers.com/bin/mwf/to...w.pl?tid=49842
That's a GMT with Explorer dial. It's not possible to put a GMT bezel on an explorer.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Biagio
"TRF" Member

NO its an explorerII with a GMT bezel..read the link I provided..I knew that someone was going to refer to the few pictures around the net of someone that did a dial swap...

more recently fopund this post from Acce1999 http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=260458

"The 16570 and the 16710 GMTII has the same middle case, so a bezel assembly from a 16710 will fit on a 16570 ... but as Larry says, it will be less complicated to source a white dial and a hand set for an Explorer II, and put it in a 16710.

Most certainly an AD will not do this for you, but dials and hand sets are regularly sold on sales forums. Put an ad, and find yourself an independent watchmaker... given that you have a 16710, of course.

Best,

A "
Old 22 January 2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Biagio
"TRF" Member

Apparently the opposite is easy enough

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=233959