The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2018, 04:36 AM   #1
Meridianum
"TRF" Member

Adjusting your own bracelet

Hey guys, I'm just wondering how many of you add/remove links to your own bracelets. I've done a bit of research, and I think I understand how to do it, but I want to avoid damaging any screws or links. Does anyone have advice regarding the proper screwdrivers, the use of Loctite, or anything else regarding maintaining and adjusting your own bracelet? Specifically, the 97200 Glidelock bracelet, but any general advice is greatly appreciated.
Meridianum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:42 AM   #2
Hamstur
"TRF" Member

Literally a small 1.5mm flathead from even an inexpensive set will work. Think of it like changing out a wall switch cover being careful not to scratch the paint on the screw, except the watch is easier.
Hamstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:43 AM   #3
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Just a good set of screwdrivers and patience... I’ve never used loctite when putting a bracelet back together and I have yet to see any screw back out (Rolex, Tudor, or others)...
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:58 AM   #4
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

The 16600 toolkit has a perfect screwdriver in there that makes it so easy to do. Luckily, I bought my wife a 16600 years ago that cane with that kit, which I use to adjust all my Rolex watches.

I wish my SD43 had come with that kit. For the price, don’t you think Rolex should have included it? I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:59 AM   #5
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
Just a good set of screwdrivers and patience... I’ve never used loctite when putting a bracelet back together and I have yet to see any screw back out (Rolex, Tudor, or others)...

I have seen screws partially backed out, so yes I use Loctite thread compound.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:08 AM   #6
Meridianum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I have seen screws partially backed out, so yes I use Loctite thread compound.

Which Loctite do you use?

Is it possible to over-tighten the screws? What level of tightness should you aim for?
Old 15 October 2018, 05:16 AM   #7
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Use a lighter to heat up the female part to avoid using a lot of force loosening the screw pin
Old 15 October 2018, 05:37 AM   #8
TinyRK
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridianum View Post

Is it possible to over-tighten the screws? What level of tightness should you aim for?

I use Loctite 243 or 222. In tiny amounts obviously.

TinyRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:38 AM   #9
TinyRK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I use Locite 243 and 222. In tiny amounts obviously.

Old 15 October 2018, 05:59 AM   #10
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

You need this screwdriver....https://www.panatime.com/scexoemcocue.html, and some Loctite 222. Heat up the bracelet with a hair dryer and the screws will come out without damaging the screw head.
I used a ground down Bergeron 1.6 mm, which worked, but it is not the proper screwdriver like the one I linked to above.
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:08 AM   #11
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

1.6mm hollow ground screwdriver. I use blue loctite as well.

Just be careful and you'll be fine.

I've never had to do any of the heating methods described. If a screw seems too tight, I do the "tighten it a bit more and then untighten" method.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:29 AM   #12
2-reef
"TRF" Member

I’ve seen videos saying also to use Loctite 222, but it is purple not blue. Blue is the next strength up medium and may be to strong. I’ve never had a screw back out with 222.
2-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 08:12 AM   #13
TinyRK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Had my Omega once resized and they used Loctite 243.
Others use 222.
Old 15 October 2018, 08:14 AM   #14
|404|
Banned

I use loctite 222 - threadlocker

it's perfect. 221/222 are interchangeable.

Buy yourself some quality cut out screw drivers...

I actually got a few imported from the US and they've been fantastic and quite cheap too! a 1.40 mm and a 1.20mm version too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAM-CUT-O...pid=1988191078

Although I will say, this is a better buy if you do want the 1.60mm only for sports bracelets.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-Offic...1eDF:rk:1:pf:0

It'll last you longer and it's more expensive for a reason.
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 09:46 AM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I adjust my own bracelets. The main thing you're going to need is a decent screwdriver. I use the Rolex ref 2100, which does an excellent job, however those are becoming increasingly hard to acquire. Look for a hollow ground screwdriver, whose tip shape matches the slot in the typical oyster screw.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 10:53 AM   #16
rolehex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
You need this screwdriver....https://www.panatime.com/scexoemcocue.html, and some Loctite 222. Heat up the bracelet with a hair dryer and the screws will come out without damaging the screw head.
I used a ground down Bergeron 1.6 mm, which worked, but it is not the proper screwdriver like the one I linked to above.
Yes, I recommend this screwdriver above and I use these 3 items below along with scotch tape. I tape the whole link and punch through the tape with the screwdriver and start unloosening. And I only use a tiny, tiny drop amount of Loctite. Enough to just lightly coat the screw threads.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Il...ng+with+light#
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:01 AM   #17
BCR
"TRF" Member

Here’s a list of a few things that I use. The most important thing to get is a correct fitting screw driver. The Rolex 2100 is the best one for the job however the Panerai screwdriver works just as well and is a bit easier to find. I always make sure to heat up the link with either a hairdryer or hot water to loosen the loctite. Then just take your time slowly turning the screws, if it feels too tight, use a bit more heat. After you’ve removed the correct number of links use a small amount of purple 222 loctite on the threads, don’t put the loctite on the actual screw treads but in the hole that the screw is being screwed back into. Just take your time and keep your hand steady to avoid any unnecessary scratches or damaged screws.

BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:01 AM   #18
Grandcrew
Banned

I got a $.99 eyeglass screwdriver set from Walgreens to size my 1675. Worked flawlessly.
Grandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:03 AM   #19
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Good screw driver and heat are key, I would never let a AD adjust my bracelet

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:06 AM   #20
nick800
"TRF" Member

Done it many times myself. Only time I let a AD do it (on a watch a Don’t own anymore) the thing was scratched to hell. Underside of the lugs all marked up, sides of links... never again.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:16 AM   #21
Meridianum
"TRF" Member

Incredible replies everyone. So much useful information. Thank you!
Old 15 October 2018, 01:52 PM   #22
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
First rule of watches. Don't let an AD do any work on your valued piece.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:57 PM   #23
grymg
"TRF" Member

I got this KO hollow ground screwdriver from China and it works great, for a fraction of the price of a Bergeon. They also make KO tweezer style springbar removers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Torque...rFM1:rk:1:pf:0
Old 15 October 2018, 02:35 PM   #24
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

A few rules to follow....

Always use the correct size screwdriver and with a hollow ground tip. The Panerai OEM screwdriver seems to work even better. Why? Because the screw is very small, an ill fitting screw driver tip into the screw is how AD's end up chipping out the end of the screws. Yes they may be stainless steel, but the contact area is very small, a screw driver that is too narrow contacts the screw over a smaller area and puts enough force per area to deform the metal. Different bracelet have different diameter screws. For an AD it is easier to use the narrowest one, fits all watches, again, this is how screws get dinged up. The hollow ground tip allows the screwdriver to engage more of the screw slot and again reduces the force exerted on the material and reduces or eliminates the damage to the screw.

Use a firm steady force to loosen the screw. It should back out if you keep some force on it. The threads are quite small and your fingers on the shaft of the screwdriver should be enough to loosen the screw. Some heat up the thread end of the bracelet, not to expand the metal, but this warms up the loctite and makes it soften and easier to remove. I've only had to do this once. If the bracelet is on a new watch I've never had to do this. If someone has put the wrong loctite on the screw this may be the only way you can get it out.

You probably don't need to add loctite to the female threads. There will be some left in the threads and on the screw threads. I've never had a screw backout. But if you are going to add loctite, only use the purple 222. Anything more and you may have a hard time removing the screw. This can lead to deformation of the screws. Again, a few seconds with a lighter can heat up the loctite and 'loosen' its grip. If you use loctite apply a small ... small... amount to the female end. If you put it on the male end the loctite will be spread down the inside of the link and the link can bind up. But realize these screws are not held in place the way normal screws are. There is no preload, no clamping force, they are really pins with threads. So that is why loctite is needed to prevent back out. But there is normally loctite there and the purple stuff doesn't really harden.

Get a loupe, 7X is enough, so that you can clearly see the screw and screwdriver tip and have both hands free. Even the tip of the screw driver trying to find the screw can scratch up the side of the link. Aim twice, engage once. Just for belts and suspenders, I tape up the sides of the links. The screw driver tip is harder than the 904L.

The 'tweezer' like springbar removal tool is the way to go. Lay the watch on its face, compress the springbar, and move the head away from the bracelet while keeping a steady down force and closing force on the tool. Never let the springbars 'pop' out of the lugs. This is how the lugs get damaged. Even ADs do this sometimes. I also tape the back of the lugs. Again, the tip of the springbar tool is harder than 904L. It will scratch it if you touch it hard enough and it doesn't take much.

There.. easy peasy... I'm sure I left out some details.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:42 PM   #25
dubins930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
First rule of watches. Don't let an AD do any work on your valued piece.
learned this the hard way...this guy knows whats up. No one cares about your watch more than you
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:48 PM   #26
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Here I show why you should use a hollow ground screwdriver.

Click here to find out

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:38 AM   #27
R!$
Banned

its SOO easy to do
dont be that guy who goes to the AD to do this
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:48 AM   #28
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
I took the bracelet off and links off my 16610 with the screwdriver/tool that came with a Speedmaster. I didn’t use any Loctite but kept an eye on the screws for a week or so. So far so good. Very easy to do and no scratches.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:52 AM   #29
rolexrolexjdjd
"TRF" Member

bergeon tools very expensive
rolexrolexjdjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:51 PM   #30
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Have always done it on all my watches...I find it a very satisfying exercise. And I’m hopeless at anything practical!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote