The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 12 April 2019, 08:02 AM   #1
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko Odyssey

Last week I bought a used Snowflake, and was blown away by it. Wow, everything they say it is and more. A few days later I came across an SBGA001 and went ahead and bought it too. I am surprised to say that I like it every bit as much, maybe even more than the Snowflake.

My immediate impression is that it has a classic look, kind of plain and deceptively simple... but the Grand Seiko quality and attention to detail is commanding. It is now known as the SBGA201 with the newer logo, changed around 2017.

As you may know, the SBGA001 is known for how it plays with light. The dial is almost like a chameleon, going from silver to champagne depending how the light hits it. Grand Seiko says it best : "The watch face and multi-faceted hands and hour markers seem to change depending on the angle and amount of light, giving this watch its eternal appeal" and "The differing expressions offered by the silver watch face and multi-faceted hand needle and index, which change depending on the level of light, help to make this a long-time favorite".

They clearly refer to it as a silver dial, yet most owners call it Champagne.

I like the old style logo on the 001 and the adaptability to leather straps. I had a rather average quality leather band laying around and brought it my watch guy to try it on. The band is very dark blue and I was very pleased with it on this watch.

I owned one of these a few years ago and didn't connect with it. But I was new to this stuff. What was I thinking!!! In all fairness, most watches have come and gone here. Wish I could just keep a collection intact or at least feel a special attachment, connection with a few of them. But for now, I am delighted!

The Snowflake seller offers a generous return policy and for now I have parted with it. It was an amazing watch, and I may get one in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2103.jpg (175.8 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2106.jpg (123.7 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2091.jpg (227.5 KB, 243 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 08:37 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Great looking watches.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:38 AM   #3
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

thanks William!
Old 13 April 2019, 05:12 AM   #4
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Congratulations! A very nice collection you have.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 05:22 AM   #5
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Thanks Jon, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
Congratulations! A very nice collection you have.
it is just one right now. The snowflake is gone for now, and the 001 looks different in both pictures but is indeed the same watch. It is wonderful and certainly enough! I bought a Quartz 37mm recently, but don't think I'll be wearing it much and am trying to sell it. The 001 seems to have won out...
Old 13 April 2019, 11:22 AM   #6
6scape
Banned

What a beautiful watch, congrats and enjoy!
6scape is offline   Reply With Quote