The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 February 2020, 10:17 AM   #1
dauster
"TRF" Member

"Flipping" for purchase history

Hi Guys, I am on the list for 15500 most likely grey or black. Given the communication with AP it looks like I will be getting one over the course of the year. I have always wanted one but have to say that I am more and more interested in other APs such as ROO (POG) and other pieces like the steel skeleton or PC in steel. maybe I would keep the blue 15500 but frankly I have a bit of 15500 fatigue even though it's still a beautiful watch of course. Would you guys "advise" me to build my purchase history or will I be blacklisted or let's say will it reflect poorly on me ?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:25 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I personally would not buy a watch I don't want. I think the AD would appreciate it if you told them your new preference and they would probably help you get it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:49 AM   #3
Cs133
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I personally would not buy a watch I don't want. I think the AD would appreciate it if you told them your new preference and they would probably help you get it.

Agree completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cs133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:58 AM   #4
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Just trying to keep this real...but unless you know for certain you’re really “in” with this AD, asking for a Perpetual in steel or a Skeleton in steel isn’t happening anytime soon. That’s most definitely the case with a Skeleton. The Perpetual has become very difficult as well. Just check on C24 you’ll see the number available has decreased and they’re all above $70k unless you want something polished or nearing the end of the warranty term.

I don’t think there’s too many success stories of attaining these models at retail without putting in the relationship effort and having some sort of purchase history that spans a couple of years or more.

Don’t give up though. You’ll certainly not get anything without asking.
Old 25 February 2020, 11:09 AM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Just trying to keep this real...but unless you know for certain you’re really “in” with this AD, asking for a Perpetual in steel or a Skeleton in steel isn’t happening anytime soon. That’s most definitely the case with a Skeleton. The Perpetual has become very difficult as well. Just check on C24 you’ll see the number available has decreased and they’re all above $70k unless you want something polished or nearing the end of the warranty term.

I don’t think there’s too many success stories of attaining these models at retail without putting in the relationship effort and having some sort of purchase history that spans a couple of years or more.

Don’t give up though. You’ll certainly not get anything without asking.
Intuitively I would agree with you, that's why I think I might have to flip a few, especially an easy to sell one like the 15500 in order to get pieces I like. Maybe I am wrong but something feels wrong to me buying a $50k+ watch over the internet... I guess I could fly out to NYC or so and meet the grey dealer in eprson for a PC... but I just like the piece of mind that comes with buying from the source and I don't mind waiting...

Just trying to keep this real...but unless you know for certain you’re really “in” with this AD - regarding this, well I bought one AP from them 2 months ago, is it even still possible to build relationship with a boutique in las vegas with one or two I'd say rather entry level purchases a year?
Old 25 February 2020, 11:22 AM   #6
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Just trying to keep this real...but unless you know for certain you’re really “in” with this AD - regarding this, well I bought one AP from them 2 months ago, is it even still possible to build relationship with a boutique in las vegas with one or two I'd say rather entry level purchases a year?

I think it absolutely counts if they view you as passionate about watches and the brand. Flipping anything seems like that will only damage your case to prove these very important “traits” that AP seems to be looking for. I assure you if they discovered you’re flipping - at least any “hot” model - you’re going to negate your efforts. At least that’s the vibe I get.

I am not telling you what to do, but you seem to know what you want. If you want it now, go gray. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that if you do a little homework. There’s actually very few AP models you could ever attain and “flip” and come out ahead with this strategy. Add the risk of bring discovered and in the end I’d say you’re taking a risky approach.
Old 25 February 2020, 11:41 AM   #7
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I think it absolutely counts if they view you as passionate about watches and the brand. Flipping anything seems like that will only damage your case to prove these very important “traits” that AP seems to be looking for. I assure you if they discovered you’re flipping - at least any “hot” model - you’re going to negate your efforts. At least that’s the vibe I get.

I am not telling you what to do, but you seem to know what you want. If you want it now, go gray. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that if you do a little homework. There’s actually very few AP models you could ever attain and “flip” and come out ahead with this strategy. Add the risk of bring discovered and in the end I’d say you’re taking a risky approach.
Got it fair enough...Ill look into going grey I guess... heard many success stories here so have to start digging for some good and trustworthy greys, hopefully on the West Coast
Old 25 February 2020, 12:10 PM   #8
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am on the list for 15500 most likely grey or black. Given the communication with AP it looks like I will be getting one over the course of the year. I have always wanted one but have to say that I am more and more interested in other APs such as ROO (POG) and other pieces like the steel skeleton or PC in steel. maybe I would keep the blue 15500 but frankly I have a bit of 15500 fatigue even though it's still a beautiful watch of course. Would you guys "advise" me to build my purchase history or will I be blacklisted or let's say will it reflect poorly on me ?
You'll get black listed.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 01:24 PM   #9
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Bad strategy. The pieces you’re after are allocated by HQ or at least at the regional level rather than by a sales associate. At that level they check who the potential customer is and if they know you flip you’ll be blacklisted.

fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:22 PM   #10
Commonproject
Banned

This is literally what "VIP Customers" are at many AD's that don't care if you flip. Just buy the diamond studded models that no one else wants and they're pretend to not know you're flipping them.
Commonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:52 PM   #11
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

Assuming the new owner of the piece you sell registers it as theirs on the AP website then AP will have a detailed history of how quickly you flipped each and every watch you bought while building your “purchase history”.

As they move to a boutique only / more controlled sales network I don’t think that helps your cause.

Even taking that aside, from the perspective of an SA the 15500 is an in demand piece, I doubt you win many points by buying something that everyone wants. If anything they would feel they have earned your loyalty by getting the 15500 for you.

At least that is my take
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 04:39 PM   #12
epic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
Bad strategy. The pieces you’re after are allocated by HQ or at least at the regional level rather than by a sales associate. At that level they check who the potential customer is and if they know you flip you’ll be blacklisted.

Agree that nowadays the allocation is straight from AP HQ which has a centralize record system. Once they know that the watch sold to and registered data are to a different person, then the purchaser very likely will be blacklisted.

I am not taking this chance to be blacklisted hence just passed on a blue dial 15500 offered to me by my SA today and told my SA that I will wait for allocation of 15202BC and 15202ST instead.

All the best.

Cheers
epic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 05:10 PM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Got it thanks guys I guess go going grey is worth considering I’m in no rush and it seems there is some PC in steel available just have to more research on the individual sellers.
Old 25 February 2020, 06:18 PM   #14
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Buy the 15500 and use it as trade fodder for an AP that you want in the grey market. Or keep the 15500 until you get what you want from AP and then flip it. Never turn down a watch that you think you can flip for a profit, this ain't a gentleman's game and there may not be another watch coming from that dealer with your name on it.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 06:31 PM   #15
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Buy the 15500 and use it as trade fodder for an AP that you want in the grey market. Or keep the 15500 until you get what you want from AP and then flip it. Never turn down a watch that you think you can flip for a profit, this ain't a gentleman's game and there may not be another watch coming from that dealer with your name on it.

Buying for trade fodder won’t work for a black/grey 15500. The grey sellers margin will result in you netting roughly the retail price of a 15500 or at most maybe you profit usd$1k. Not worth it imo for risk of being blacklisted

Now, buying it, wearing it and enjoying it until you one day get allocated something else you want...nothing wrong with that. That is not considered flipping by brands. They understand customers sometimes sell watches as we don’t all have unlimited funds.

fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:13 PM   #16
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
Buying for trade fodder won’t work for a black/grey 15500. The grey sellers margin will result in you netting roughly the retail price of a 15500 or at most maybe you profit usd$1k. Not worth it imo for risk of being blacklisted

Now, buying it, wearing it and enjoying it until you one day get allocated something else you want...nothing wrong with that. That is not considered flipping by brands. They understand customers sometimes sell watches as we don’t all have unlimited funds.

+1.

There are very few watches in the line up that you can flip for any sort of worthwhile profit. Blue dial 15500, Jumbos, skeletons, limited edition PCs, and ceramics. None of those are ever being allocated to a newer customer, and when you do get the call and you flip one, you’re done.

Do the math. It’s just so much better/easier to go gray if you have the funds.
Old 26 February 2020, 01:57 AM   #17
dauster
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone looks like going grey is the way to go or buy from boutique and hold and register but then maybe sell later
Old 26 February 2020, 05:45 AM   #18
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone looks like going grey is the way to go or buy from boutique and hold and register but then maybe sell later

Yes just do this.

Buy what you want / need to. Hang on to them until you hit your desired piece then release the others again.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 10:40 PM   #19
knorz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 145.012
Buy to flip just to get forward in the list can only make the market worse man. Think of how many of us are just desiring to get a brand new 15500 at retail and cannot even dream to spend the 50-70k for a steel skeleton or QP.
You will detract a piece to real client to then put it on a second hand over priced circuit....
knorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 10:49 AM   #20
zly512
"TRF" Member

Just be patient and trust your SA. Your SA needs to know you first before giving you any chances!
Connect with your SA more often and go for the one you really want.
zly512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 09:04 AM   #21
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
I have bought watches in Chrono24 for my friends who just don’t want to wait for a watch and are willing to knowingly ‘go gray’ to get a specific piece on their wrist asap.

I personally refuse to go gray or pay over retail for a new/unworn watch. I can see myself going gray for an out of production piece i suppose but i am always forward looking and its a long game so if i like something, chances are something similar or close enough will come out in the future.

It is more ‘fun’ to get from AD and wait for it. It makes it feel that much more special. If you can get an 15500 allocation as you say you are already well on your way to building relationship. Flipping is a bad idea, just keep it in your safe until the one you want comes along. If you keep 6 plus months i think you should be fine (but thats a guess), but i have never actually sold any watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 09:18 AM   #22
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Not sure this if the environment to buy retail and sell wholesale.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote