The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2020, 09:48 AM   #1
Just1More
"TRF" Member

Does the color of Dial really make a difference?

I was wondering forum members' thoughts on dial color. Random thoughts, questions, and facts:

AP relevance to follow:

-On presently available watches like the Daytona Ceramic, the white is more in demand than the black. Thus, the gray market prices are higher for white than black.

-On steel Daytonas, whether white or black dial- Zenith or not? Is there really a price difference?

-The Sky-Dweller--Everyone now is hot for the blue dial. In the future, will it truly make a price difference (when the model gets discontinued or changed) as to what color dial it has?

So the question is in the future will an AP 15450st in the future make any difference whether it is blue/gray or white? I know it makes a difference now but what about 10-15 20 years from now?

I look forward to thoughts and examples.
thanks
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:04 AM   #2
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
I’d rely on the true experts on here, but my guess is that trends change and over time dial premiums trend down towards the prevailing model market value.

Blue is the hot color and that’s not changing tomorrow. For most AP’s, that premium is substantial. I tend to think that over the long term it comes down to how the overall model is perceived by collectors, and production numbers. I have no idea if anyone really knows production numbers, though. Although I’ve seen some really well thought out numbers...
Old 25 February 2020, 11:05 AM   #3
Just1More
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I’d rely on the true experts on here, but my guess is that trends change and over time dial premiums trend down towards the prevailing model market value.

Blue is the hot color and that’s not changing tomorrow. For most AP’s, that premium is substantial. I tend to think that over the long term it comes down to how the overall model is perceived by collectors, and production numbers. I have no idea if anyone really knows production numbers, though. Although I’ve seen some really well thought out numbers...
Great thoughts. Thanks
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:14 AM   #4
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
By the way, get what speaks to you and what fits into your collection/rotation. Do that and everything else will work out.

Also if you can, go visit an AD. I had my heart set on a blue dial 15500, and then I saw the Anthracite in person. The Anthracite dial is gorgeous and I’d never have known if I didn’t make it a point to see one.
Old 25 February 2020, 01:32 PM   #5
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

You’re asking yourself the wrong question. If you’re buying at market price get the colour you like the most. If you’re buying at retail price, get the blue.

If you think anyone on this forum has any clue how prices for different colours will trend over 20 years then I have a crystal ball to sell you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:12 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Nobody knows. Blue is more true to the original. Sort of like a red Ferrari. Then again, no idea if the first Ferrari was red lol probably not.
Old 25 February 2020, 06:25 PM   #7
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

The white/silver dial 15450 will always be the least favorite, blue the most. On the Daytona I suspect that the preference for the white dial has more to do with the contrasting black subdial rings and greater legibility.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 02:34 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Get the colour you love the most, the resale difference is rather marginal here, even the same on the Daytona, just a grand or two is not enough to get the wrong watch on you.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:31 AM   #9
Dave from NYC
"TRF" Member

Responding to post above that white/silver dial is the least favorite.

you mean YOUR least favorite. There, IFIFY

Have you looked at prices on the white dial 15400? (Since there is no white/silver 15500)

Last edited by Dave from NYC; 26 February 2020 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: .
Dave from NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:32 AM   #10
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Get the colour you love the most, the resale difference is rather marginal here, even the same on the Daytona, just a grand or two is not enough to get the wrong watch on you.
Agree with this 100%.

I would buy what I love the most. The dial can change the look of the watch entirely, and so the best way is to try the different ones and pick your preference.
I suppose with watches like the RO, and even the Nautilus, blue dials will always be the "classics" simply because that is the way they were "born" in 1972/1976.
Still, what should matter the most is which dial you love the best, the rest is negligible.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:43 AM   #11
Burlington
"TRF" Member

It only matters in so far as your preference.

Don’t let resale cloud your judgement, get whatever you like the most and enjoy it.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:26 AM   #12
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Nobody knows. Blue is more true to the original. Sort of like a red Ferrari. Then again, no idea if the first Ferrari was red lol probably not.
well the 1947 Ferrari 125 S (first Ferrari badged race car) was indeed red. And pretty sure the Tipo 815 (first car fully designed/built by Enzo) in 39/40 was red too :-)

ok that's enough of that.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 07:57 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj24k View Post
well the 1947 Ferrari 125 S (first Ferrari badged race car) was indeed red. And pretty sure the Tipo 815 (first car fully designed/built by Enzo) in 39/40 was red too :-)

ok that's enough of that.

Thanks Steven. I didn’t want to say so because it sounded to obvious to be true lol