The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 15 March 2021, 12:54 AM   #1
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I wish Grand Seiko would...

In another recent thread I invited you all to comment on the things that Grand Seiko does well and that allow it to stand on its own. I'm a GS (and Seiko) appreciator, but like many of you, I also think there's always room for constructive feedback and growth.

Thus this new thread, which is an opportunity for GS fans to chime in on the things that they wish GS would do to make their excellent products even better. I need to give credit to @Wahlberg and @swish77 for the concept origin. To get the ball rolling, here are my initial thoughts. I wish Grand Seiko would:

1. Shrink the sizes of their cases (or at least offer slightly smaller versions). For my tastes, most of the dial diameters are 1-3 mm too wide, and the case thicknesses on most automatic/spring drives are about 1 mm too thick. As far as market share is concerned (if that matters at all), I think reducing thickness would be the slight priority, but I'd really like to see both.

2. Offer better micro-adjustment on their bracelets (or in many cases, just offer something).

3. For the links, just keep it simple with one long screw to remove/add. Multiple tiny pieces are kindof a hassle for the user.

*Some feel that GS should do a complete name and logo change to drop "Seiko." Often the Toyota/Lexus (or fill in the blank with other Asian automaker) analogy is used, attributing the name change to commercial success of these luxury lines. I don't share this opinion. Lexus/Infinity/etc have been quite successful in their market segment, but I don't think they stole a significant portion of diehard German luxury car owners away from their Mercedes/BMW/Audis (and nor will GS steal a significant portion of diehard Rolex owners). Japanese luxury cars and watches attract customers precisely because they are the next level of a excellent, Japanese product. Customers looking for highest quality and reliability, now with luxury appointments, for the least amount money are attracted to Lexus and GS. If Seiko wants to try to go head-to-head with Rolex then maybe a name change makes sense, but I don't think that is the direction they should go. They should take pride in who they are, and expand the reputation for what they do.

Sorry for that long aside; I know many would want GS to change their name and I invite you to post that here. Looking forward to your comments! What do you wish Grand Seiko would do?
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 01:19 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
My main complaint about GS is the spring-drive power-reserve meter on many of its otherwise beautiful dials. It’s a virtual deal-breaker for me. Those little meters clutter the dial and also appear asymmetrical and slightly angled. I don’t mind it on the SBGK005 because it’s balanced and symmetrical at 3 o’clock, but when it’s jammed between the 7 and 8 o’clock hour markers it bugs me.

If it’s an important feature, figure out a way to put it on the back and make it visible through the case-back window. Or maybe just get rid of it.

Also, I wish more of the metal bracelets were completely brushed. I don’t like PCLs or even when part of a center link is polished. Maybe I’m too picky.

As for the name/logo, it doesn’t brother me at all. It has a history going back 60 years. Why change it now? Is it really that hard to distinguish between “GRAND Seiko” and “Seiko?”
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 01:38 AM   #3
Winzzz
"TRF" Member

Less text on their dial
Winzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 02:27 AM   #4
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Already three wishlists and nobody mentioned tapered? Thanks God!

I'm totally happy with GS, the brand, the name and their marketing. I totally agree (who wouldn’t?) with the request to improve the adjustment of the bracelets. A Grand Seiko diver with one of the new movements (H-B or SD) with a new adjustable clasp and some guys in Geneva would get huge headaches.
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 02:29 AM   #5
kutime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, VC, Rolex
Right on the money with all 3 points. But if I only get to pick one thing, it would be the thickness of the case. I don’t mind the width, I have watches up to 44mm but with thinner cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 02:58 AM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Re micro-adjustment on their bracelets, I notice this is a common feedback but "Aventure with Time" raised a good point about GS wanting to keep the profile of the buckle slim as it is now. As a compromise, GS has inserted 2 half links for sizing into the new bracelets.

The other common feedback is the 22mm bracelet on a 40mm watch (I'm referring to the new 9SA5 movement) and the lack of a more pronounce tapering. I think we are quite used to watches with that norm, but I'm ok with it on the wrist. I don't want GS to be another Rolex.

Personally I would love to see GS opening up a service centre in Singapore as all GS watches are sent to Japan for servicing. It will also be great to have some Asian limited editions so that we can buy them here too.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 04:39 AM   #7
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

A shot across the bow of Rolex/the Daytona would be a chrono that is actually wearable for normal humans (42 or less, 14 or less). Also lose the absolutely gargantuan pushers.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 04:46 AM   #8
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Re micro-adjustment on their bracelets, I notice this is a common feedback but "Aventure with Time" raised a good point about GS wanting to keep the profile of the buckle slim as it is now. As a compromise, GS has inserted 2 half links for sizing into the new bracelets.

The other common feedback is the 22mm bracelet on a 40mm watch (I'm referring to the new 9SA5 movement) and the lack of a more pronounce tapering. I think we are quite used to watches with that norm, but I'm ok with it on the wrist. I don't want GS to be another Rolex.

Personally I would love to see GS opening up a service centre in Singapore as all GS watches are sent to Japan for servicing. It will also be great to have some Asian limited editions so that we can buy them here too.
Have you ever seen the bracelet of a Vacheron Constantin Overseas? It’s a very slim profile, slimmer than current GE bracelets, and you can extend the length of the bracelet with a simple push. This is just an example of what I would like to see from GS.
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 08:02 AM   #9
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
No “Grand Seiko” text, no specs text on dial. Spring drive or Hi Beat is acceptable but would rather have the model name or reference number. And most of all, better bracelets. Lots of taper and comfort. Just reverse engineer what Rolex is doing and do the same or better. I don’t care if it costs more.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 08:03 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Personally I would love to see GS opening up a service centre in Singapore as all GS watches are sent to Japan for servicing.
Maybe this is the case in Asia, but GS watches in the U.S. do not need to be sent to Japan for service. They are sent to a GS service center in New Jersey.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 08:52 AM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Maybe this is the case in Asia, but GS watches in the U.S. do not need to be sent to Japan for service. They are sent to a GS service center in New Jersey.
They service GS here in Hong Kong, too. Even so, Singapore to Japan is a next-day DHL delivery, door-to-door. It's not that inconvenient, and it's kind of cool that the watch is sent 'home' for service, IMO.
Old 15 March 2021, 10:38 AM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by munichblue View Post
Have you ever seen the bracelet of a Vacheron Constantin Overseas? It’s a very slim profile, slimmer than current GE bracelets, and you can extend the length of the bracelet with a simple push. This is just an example of what I would like to see from GS.
I have not owned a VCO, but does sound good to be have an extension via a simple push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
They service GS here in Hong Kong, too. Even so, Singapore to Japan is a next-day DHL delivery, door-to-door. It's not that inconvenient, and it's kind of cool that the watch is sent 'home' for service, IMO.
I agree with the coolness factor of sending my GS back to Japan.
I'm just struggling a little to come up with "improvement points" that OP has requested for. That was my best effort.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 05:21 PM   #13
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Thinner cases are the only thing stopping me from buying one.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 06:28 PM   #14
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
the bracelets feel sub par, they really need to work on making it as nice as the case and dial.
Old 15 March 2021, 10:29 PM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Most are too think (gmts especially)
Bracelets are comfortable but not good enough for the watch
I’d like a little more use of lume on some of the nicer sporty dress pieces

And before anyone bothers to ask, I’ve owned like 20 of em

I have slgh003 which solves for most, bracelet only marginally improved
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 12:38 AM   #16
broham84
"TRF" Member

Thinner case profile, tapered bracelet, micro adjustment on the clasp, and a better finishing on the 9S86 movement.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 02:53 AM   #17
Trog
Banned

....stop coming out with so many gorgeous watches!
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 03:09 AM   #18
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I've been scoping GS for almost two years, just learning the models, the movements, etc. It's great to see what others that are more familiar with the brand think about how to improve.
I also agree with the positioning of the power reserve, it spoils the look of some very nice dials.
Some reservations with the Spring Drive, but that's only from the critiques of mechanical purists. Need to learn more about that and the Hi Beat.
Going to the GS boutique in NY next week, hope to get up close with several models.
Old 13 March 2022, 12:06 AM   #19
Oris77
"TRF" Member

First, I have to say that like most of you, I’m a big Rolex fan. I’m also a pretty big Grand Seiko fan. These two luxury brands are polar opposites. Each can be appreciated in their own way, but given the big differences in styling of the brands, I can really see how it may be difficult for one person to like both brands.

Right now I have one green dial GS with the standard auto movement (-3 +5), one hi beat, and one spring drive. I definitely agree that their cases are a little too thick. However, the finishing on the watches and the dials more than make up for it. I also appreciate how GS designs many of their watches to capture elements of nature and how good they are at it. There’s a local, old school jeweler in my town that used to be a Rolex AD. He has heard of and seen online GS watches but never saw one in person. I wore my GS in one day and he was floored by the quality and finishing of the dial, case and movement. He said “wow, that’s Rolex level or even better.” I’m not trying to argue that one is better than the other but it was cool to see a man that’s passionate about watches and a business owner that’s been in the business for over 40 years be that impressed by GS.

I absolutely love my ShoSho hi beat. The dial is stunning and ranges from light blue to silvery to mimic ripples of water. The watch is symmetrical and probably gets more compliments than anything else in my collection. The 39.5 mm width is great but I would say that the only downside of the watch is it’s thickness. But again, everything else compensates for it and the watch wears great.

On the Spring Drive… the movement is incredible! However, like others have said, I really don’t like the power indicator. I have a limited edition white, snow dial Chronograph, so the dial is already crazy busy. So, my thought was that the spring drive indicator would blend into the rest of the dial which had a lot going on.
Oris77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 12:28 PM   #20
RanHong
"TRF" Member

make a 40mm diver with a better bracelet/clasp
less dial advertising
offer more traditional 'plain' black white color dial options
offer enamel/porcelain dials
RanHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 12:41 PM   #21
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I celebrate the differences.
Do I like every aspect of a GS? Nope, but I suspect they probably weren't designed with me in mind.
Don't want to make them like all other watches.

That said, I would prefer the PR on the back of more.
Old 13 March 2022, 01:30 PM   #22
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Three things that bothers me:

-The Grand Seiko font reminds me of “Old English” which the gangsta rappers in the nineties would have on their baseball caps : )

-The polished line on the bracelets on some models which makes in look like an AliExpress bracelet to be honest

-The Spring Drive text is too small (not “bold” or “strong enough, hard to explain) plus the font isn’t that good and the letters are too cramped together compared to the Grand Seiko text.

L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 01:06 AM   #23
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I find the bracelets are a little busy and generic looking. They remind me of the bracelet that Omega uses on some of their watches, like the last-gen 1861 Speedy Pro.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 01:54 AM   #24
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Thinner cases for sure. Gmt 44gs is way too thick. Micro adjust would also be a plus.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote