The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2012, 12:02 PM   #1
MatthewInSeattle

Watch: Chronomat 44
Foreign price lists

I know that with the latest price increases in the US, UK, and Europe we have seen some of these price lists get posted on here.

Has anyone seen a list for China or Hong Kong though? One constant thing that I hear from tourists is that the prices here in the US are higher than they are in China. Now, I know this to be false, because our tax rate is significantly lower than the taxes on luxury goods in China. What I'd love to find is something that I can print out and use as a selling tool to counter this stall/tactic to negotiate discount.

I've scoured the forum, but haven't had any luck finding anything.

Much appreciated,
Matthew
MatthewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's

We don't yet live in a one-world-economy. Just like a hamburger costs more in one country than another, so would I expect there to be variation in the MSRP of Rolex around the world..
Old 19 July 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
MatthewInSeattle

Watch: Chronomat 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

We don't yet live in a one-world-economy. Just like a hamburger costs more in one country than another, so would I expect there to be variation in the MSRP of Rolex around the world..
Of course there is variation from country to country, for instance, here in the US, MSRP for the 116610LN Sub is 8,550 USD, whereas in the UK, it is 5,230GBP (including VAT). Now, convert the 5, 230 GBP into USD, and it's a bit of a better deal in the UK, where it comes to 8,188.61 USD (plus, as a tourist from the US, you get some of the VAT back when you leave the country).

China is similar, but in the other direction. Co-workers and friends who travel to China semi-regularly have confirmed that with the taxes charged on luxury goods, prices are higher than in the US (even with the draconian sales-tax here in Seattle).

Nonetheless, I'll see tourists from the mainland coming down from Vancouver, BC (who also have a higher combined tax rate than Seattle) and claim that the prices up north or back in China are less than the MSRP+sales tax here in the States. I can't comment on whether these prices are discounted prices or not, because I only deal with MSRP.

I've searched the Forum, and spent about an hour on Google looking for an uploaded price sheet, but I'm wondering if anyone here as seen, or can source a price list from China, which likely would take into account the VAT (anything in Yuan would be helpful though, I've tracked down a few sites I can use to calculate tax then convert to USD for comparison).

Hopefully that's a bit of a clearer explanation.
MatthewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Well I can't speak for China and I don't have a price list but I do live in Japan. Even with the awful current 78 Japanese Yen to the Dollar at some grey dealer's here with your homework done and a lot of bargaining you can get a Rolex here cheaper than the States. I say this now after all of the recent price increases in the States. Brutal.

Seems the prices in Japan have stayed darn near the same for years. Japan is close to if not in a deflationary feel because the economy is so wrecked and dysfunctional.

As a tourist here you would have the 5% sales tax waved as well. Does not work for me as I live here but being a "gaijin" foreigner they sometimes throw that out to me as a sales incentive but once they realize I live here it is off the table.

Hope that helps.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
china , msrp , price list