The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 November 2014, 08:36 AM   #1
zbg3
"TRF" Member

Red Sub: Please Help

Hello TRF:

I am relatively new to the world of vintage Rolex, but I have researched and seen just enough vintage watches to know that the red sub really appeals to me. I read the article on the "Sticky: Excellent Red Sub Post" which was awesome, but I would appreciate some additional help!

My local (and trusted) dealer has the red sub pictured below in his store which he says is circa 1971. Here are some questions I have:

1) Which "Mark" is this?
2) From the picture, how does the condition of the watch look?
3) How does the patina look? (If I'm buying a vintage watch, I want it to look vintage and still be legible)
4) I know this may be hard to tell from just a picture, but how much would you estimate is a fair price to pay for this one?
5) Any recommendations where to get some cool straps (deployment preferable) that are compatible with this watch?

Any other insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Sub.jpg (114.4 KB, 378 views)
zbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 08:50 AM   #2
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbg3 View Post
Hello TRF:

I am relatively new to the world of vintage Rolex, but I have researched and seen just enough vintage watches to know that the red sub really appeals to me. I read the article on the "Sticky: Excellent Red Sub Post" which was awesome, but I would appreciate some additional help!

My local (and trusted) dealer has the red sub pictured below in his store which he says is circa 1971. Here are some questions I have:

1) Which "Mark" is this?
2) From the picture, how does the condition of the watch look?
3) How does the patina look? (If I'm buying a vintage watch, I want it to look vintage and still be legible)
4) I know this may be hard to tell from just a picture, but how much would you estimate is a fair price to pay for this one?
5) Any recommendations where to get some cool straps (deployment preferable) that are compatible with this watch?

Any other insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Id request a straight on dial shot, def need to make sure theres no chips out of the hash marks. Price is very dependent on dial condition and you cant see half of the edge of the dial which is one of the most important things to check
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 08:57 AM   #3
foodle
"TRF" Member

1) Looks to be a Mark V dial

2) From the limited view, lugs look thick and crown guards do not appear over polished. However, would need a few more pics to be sure. Bezel insert and pearl look new.

3) Patina is darkish and mottled/uneven, so it's definitely not my thing. But patina preference is really a personal choice.

4) No bracelet drops the price some. I assume no box and papers. So about $9-10k. Expect to pay more to a dealer than to a private seller.
foodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 08:58 AM   #4
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Mk 5 in pretty good shape. Nice insert. Hard to tell condition from that one pic...are the plots decaying/mildewing? Could be a sign of water intrusion or just camera angle/pixilation or nothing at all...

What is the serial to determine all is (period) correct? How much is he asking (if you don't mind my asking)?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

to soon to tell... more pics are needed if you want serious and detailed opinions
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 08:53 PM   #6
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyvm View Post
to soon to tell... more pics are needed if you want serious and detailed opinions
X2 on that, but my initial thought is that it looks good!
NukeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Good as in real: yes. Good as in good: no.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
Good as in real: yes. Good as in good: no.
+1
Still waiting for those pics...
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:34 PM   #9
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Dial may have seen some moisture from this picture.
Make sure you crack the back open to investigate this properly!!!
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 09:25 AM   #10
zbg3
"TRF" Member

Sorry it took so long to get these pics. In the meantime, another local watch dealer got in a red sub. I would be trading in my Milgauss GV + adding cash to get the red sub, and both dealers are at the same amount of cash to be added. Please let me know which example you prefer between the red sub with the GREEN band or the red sub with the BROWN band, why you prefer it, if these are nice examples, etc. Disclaimer: The red sub with the BROWN band was photographed with an iPhone and I believe the "chip" between 11 and 12 is just on the insert. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jb1.jpg (131.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg jb3.jpg (71.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg jb4.jpg (84.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg wb0.jpg (103.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg wb2.jpg (76.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 12 November 2014, 09:53 AM   #11
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
It would really help if you gave us the asking prices. As always, price and what you're looking for at that price is the determining factor in these transactions.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 10:19 AM   #12
zbg3
"TRF" Member

Both dealers want me to trade in my milgauss and add $6k cash which means they are valuing these subs at $11k-$11.5k. One of the dealers (not on commission) has said that in the last 6 months, prices of red subs have gone up 10-20%.
Old 12 November 2014, 10:56 AM   #13
foodle
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't pay $11k for either of these.

The first (green) seems to have some issue with uneven patina on the dial and hands (maybe some water intrusion as lume on hands seems to be deteriorating). Without better pics, it's hard to tell.

The second (brown) seems to have an over-polished case, at least on the upper left lug (dishing around the lug hole). Also the bezel insert has some damage. Need some better pics of the dial.

Both don't have a bracelet.

I wouldn't pay any more than about $9k for either. As for what the dealer said about red sub pricing, dealers say a lot of stuff about pricing and the vintage watch market. Somehow everything they say justifies them charging a higher price.
foodle is offline   Reply With Quote