The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 31 January 2019, 05:16 PM   #61
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhussain View Post
Really? Please enlighten me as to what the inspiration behind the aquanaut was if not the nautilus?

In this day and age any man and his dog can research anything. no amount of research will change the fact that the aquanaut is an entry level piece designed to attract younger customers, inspired by the nautilus. Its become a great success no doubt. When I bought my 5712 back in 2015, all nautilus and aquanaut references were readily available. The aquanaut even more so. People have moved over to the aquanaut due to the skyrocketed popularity of the nautilus.
Yes and the sub was inspired by the turnograph. Doesn’t mean the sub is any less watch.

Myself, I’ve never seen a nautilus I like better than an aquanaut. Not everyone wants the 70s look and not everyone thinks genta was a genius. I certainly don’t. Let’s set the bar higher than drawing 2-3 watches that all look similar 40+ years ago
Old 31 January 2019, 07:07 PM   #62
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
Lets not all forget that years ago the Aquanaut was referred to as the Nautilus Aquanaut
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
Old 31 January 2019, 07:54 PM   #63
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You couldn't on an 11 or 67 unless you were well known to the AD, this guy is full of it as he demonstrates incessantly.
You stick to what you know. Shows you are new to the patek brand
Old 31 January 2019, 07:57 PM   #64
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Yes and the sub was inspired by the turnograph. Doesn’t mean the sub is any less watch.

Myself, I’ve never seen a nautilus I like better than an aquanaut. Not everyone wants the 70s look and not everyone thinks genta was a genius. I certainly don’t. Let’s set the bar higher than drawing 2-3 watches that all look similar 40+ years ago
So you like the nautilus with ears just on one side and with conventional lugs? come on dude, listen to yourself
Old 31 January 2019, 07:58 PM   #65
danestaff
Banned

Watch: 5968a
Quote:
You stick to what you know. Shows you are new to the patek brand
Right I'll be honest with you, I picked up my 5167 in 2014, from the salon and I was lucky but the AD i was using at the time said i had a 6 month wait,

So they weren't that free and easy

And I feel as if your whipping up another shit storm

We all have opinions, but no need to be condescending

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Old 31 January 2019, 08:05 PM   #66
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Had I known... Here you couldn't just walk in as a new customer in 2015 and pick up a 5711 or 5712 the next day. The big ADs in Munich informed me back then that I'd pretty much wait forever. As a result I got on the list at a small-town AD and waited 2,5 years for a blue 5711.
Wow thats a crazy situation! but the demand for each model is different in each country. in 2015 i was shown the next day an unsealed 5712 but I said I wanted a triple sealed one so they got me one in the next delivery which was in two months time. The market has moved on greatly.

If you look at chrono24 it shows that on average in early 2015 the market price for 5712s were £22,700, when rrp was about £22k, now the rrp is £30k the market price is £45k.
Old 31 January 2019, 08:11 PM   #67
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danestaff View Post
Right I'll be honest with you, I picked up my 5167 in 2014, from the salon and I was lucky but the AD i was using at the time said i had a 6 month wait,

So they weren't that free and easy

And I feel as if your whipping up another shit storm

We all have opinions, but no need to be condescending

Lets stick to facts, you picked up a 5167 very easily and i picked up a 5712 very easily. You cant do that for either model from the same respective retailers.

If you analyse all products, the chepaest of each model line are the most popular ie lower cost of entry!

Have a good day
Old 31 January 2019, 08:18 PM   #68
danestaff
Banned

Quote:
Lets stick to facts, you picked up a 5167 very easily and i picked up a 5712 very easily. You cant do that for either model from the same respective retailers.

If you analyse all products, the chepaest of each model line are the most popular ie lower cost of entry!

Have a good day
Phew tha thankfully I picked up the big boy Nautilus 5711p 40th easily then

Quick question tho, does that make your 5712 a tudor compared to mine?

Old 31 January 2019, 08:25 PM   #69
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Phew tha thankfully I picked up the big boy Nautilus 5711p 40th easily then

Quick question tho, does that make your 5712 a tudor compared to mine?

On the internet everyone owns everything...

5711p or 5712 are the both not the same model family? You're not good at this analogy 'game'
Old 31 January 2019, 08:31 PM   #70
danestaff
Banned

Quote:
On the internet everyone owns everything...

5711p or 5712 are the both not the same model family? You're not good at this analogy 'game'
Mmmm I had the 5712 and got rid or it to get something more exclusive

Looking at your collection, u have only been lucky to have 1 which is the 5712

Mayve the AD sorted you out so quickly just to get you off his back and you have probably struggled to gain another AD to source for you

I was actually nice and said we all. Have opinions, but you are very condescending

Bye bye

Old 31 January 2019, 08:49 PM   #71
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mmmm I had the 5712 and got rid or it to get something more exclusive

Looking at your collection, u have only been lucky to have 1 which is the 5712

Mayve the AD sorted you out so quickly just to get you off his back and you have probably struggled to gain another AD to source for you

I was actually nice and said we all. Have opinions, but you are very condescending

Bye bye

5167 is really exclusive... again on the net everyone has everything.

Thats my current collection buddy, you can't find info of the past on my forum bio. FYI, I've had 5711A blue, 5711A in white, 5960A and 5617A.

You like aquanauts i get it, but no need to be so 'butthurt'. I currently have a 5167 on steel bracelet available for sale if you love it so much?
Old 31 January 2019, 10:40 PM   #72
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Let’s play nice unless you want this thread closed.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 31 January 2019, 10:52 PM   #73
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I'm glad I got mine in late 2014 from The Hour Glass (Singapore).

...but one huge regret: I should have bought more.

...I chose it instead of a white 5711 (just not in love) and instead of my pick of either a white or black 16500 (too common).

I should have bought all four watches, but who does that sort of thing?
Old 31 January 2019, 11:09 PM   #74
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Ok let's try straighten this out.

Yes the comment of "The aquanaut is to the Nautilaus what Tudor is to Rolex" is what gets people a little upset.

However, if there was the justification that, Hans Wildorf started Tudor as a sister brand to offer a more affordable watch at a lower price point but protect the reputation of Rolex being a finer quality watch and maintaining their price point in the market. So Tudor was vehicle for capturing more of the market or "the money making scheme" :P

You could then argue that perhaps Patek wanted to move the Nautilaus up in price point with the justification that it a classic due to the Gerald Genta design and there will be no more new designs from him (RIP).

So let's make a new "lower" price point sports watch with the goal of bring that up to current Nautilaus prices, but also moving the Nautilaus up price brackets over time as well.

So given this, the aquanaut could be seen as a "money making scheme" and is to the "Patek" what Tudor is to Rolex :P

Yes it's a long shot that this is what was meant and yes the Aquanaut has the same movement and quality as the Nautilaus but this is just someone's opinion that was thrown into the discussion and interpreted in a harsher way than intended (perhaps).
As we just see Tudor exactly what it is... a more affordable watch but the quality isn't up to Rolex for that reason.
However I guess we could then argue that the Aquanaut is still of excellent quality so perhaps it is "Tudor" only in the way of making more money :P
Design wise, the Aquanaut does not sing to dlhussain, and it doesn't have to.

So I can see how people get "butthurt" but perhaps we can make a stratch and sort of see the argument? :)

With regards to showing off each's collection or how hard or easy it was for people to get their respective timepieces... just chilll every where in the world has different supplies and demand... I am unfortunately in a region where I cannot get anything..... even with a good AD relationship, so be quiet :P

Anyway... enough with the storm of shite being thrown and get back on topic!

Vote No to a 5167 price increase!!!
until I get mine
Old 31 January 2019, 11:25 PM   #75
danestaff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post

Yes the comment of "The aquanaut is to the Nautilaus what Tudor is to Rolex" is what gets people a little upset.

However, if there was the justification that, Hans Wildorf started Tudor as a sister brand to offer a more affordable watch at a lower price point but protect the reputation of Rolex being a finer quality watch and maintaining their price point in the market. So Tudor was vehicle for capturing more of the market or "the money making scheme"

You could then argue that perhaps Patek wanted to move the Nautilaus up in price point with the justification that it a classic due to the Gerald Genta design and there will be no more new designs from him (RIP).

So let's make a new "lower" price point sports watch with the goal of bring that up to current Nautilaus prices, but also moving the Nautilaus up price brackets over time as well.

So given this, the aquanaut could be seen as a "money making scheme" and is to the "Patek" what Tudor is to Rolex

Yes it's a long shot that this is what was meant and yes the Aquanaut has the same movement and quality as the Nautilaus but this is just someone's opinion that was thrown into the discussion and interpreted in a harsher way than intended (perhaps).

As we just see Tudor exactly what it is... a more affordable watch but the quality isn't up to Rolex for that reason.

However I guess we could then argue that the Aquanaut is still of excellent quality so perhaps it is "Tudor" only in the way of making more money

So I can see how people get "butthurt" but perhaps we can make a stratch and sort of see the argument? :)

With regards to showing off each's collection or how hard or easy it was for people to get their respective timepieces... just chilll every where in the world has different supplies and demand... I am unfortunately in a region where I cannot get anything..... even with a good AD relationship, so be quiet

until I get mine
Well said, but if you looked at my previous threads I did say everyone has an opinion, you just don't have to come across as condescending

But back to the matter in point, after a serious think about it, why would they only go up 10%, when they went up 20% on the 5711 and 5712

Old 31 January 2019, 11:30 PM   #76
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Quote:
Well said, but if you looked at my previous threads I did say everyone has an opinion, you just don't have to come across as condescending

But back to the matter in point, after a serious think about it, why would they only go up 10%, when they went up 20% on the 5711 and 5712

Totally agree with you there on the no need to be condescending :)

Hahah, but then you could also argue, why did they just go up 20% on Nautilaus!

From a business perspective, they are being slightly conservative and not wanting to leave too much money on the table considering the 2nd hand market at the moment, but I commend them for not being overly greedy.
But... if they could just deliver my 5167/1A before any price hike... then that would be awesome :P
Old 31 January 2019, 11:32 PM   #77
danestaff
Banned

Quote:
Totally agree with you there on the no need to be condescending :)

Hahah, but then you could also argue, why did they just go up 20% on Nautilaus!

From a business perspective, they are being slightly conservative and not wanting to leave too much money on the table considering the 2nd hand market at the moment, but I commend them for not being overly greedy.

But... if they could just deliver my 5167/1A before any price hike... then that would be awesome :P
Well good luck on that front, and you would need a awesome AD to tell you instead of pocketing the extra

Have a good day

Old 31 January 2019, 11:37 PM   #78
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
this thread....

Wow
Old 31 January 2019, 11:44 PM   #79
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:

However, if there was the justification that, Hans Wildorf started Tudor as a sister brand to offer a more affordable watch at a lower price point but protect the reputation of Rolex being a finer quality watch and maintaining their price point in the market. So Tudor was vehicle for capturing more of the market or "the money making scheme" :P

So given this, the aquanaut could be seen as a "money making scheme" and is to the "Patek" what Tudor is to Rolex :P

However I guess we could then argue that the Aquanaut is still of excellent quality so perhaps it is "Tudor" only in the way of making more money :P

With regards to showing off each's collection or how hard or easy it was for people to get their respective timepieces... just chilll every where in the world has different supplies and demand... I am unfortunately in a region where I cannot get anything..... even with a good AD relationship, so be quiet :P

until I get mine
Thank you kind sir. That was my point exactly. On rubber or leather the 5167 is very nice, but dont put it next to a nautilus. But patek didnt put enough effort into the steel bracelet for the 5167.

Wish you the best in getting hold of your grail! Patience is required. I am still waiting for my 15202st, Grrrrr
Old 1 February 2019, 12:11 AM   #80
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you kind sir. That was my point exactly. On rubber or leather the 5167 is very nice, but dont put it next to a nautilus. But patek didnt put enough effort into the steel bracelet for the 5167.

Wish you the best in getting hold of your grail! Patience is required. I am still waiting for my 15202st, Grrrrr
Well, I put them side by side and chose the 5167. It just speaks to me more than the Nautilus, which I also like and am currently waiting for, but I am in no rush, as I have plenty of other options to wear while I wait.

There's an article floating around the net which likens the 5167 to a vintage Speedster, and I really think the analogy suits the watch. Maybe this has something to do with my preference for one over the other: something regarding nostalgia, as I have fond memories of being transported to primary school in a 356. Perhaps if the 356 had been a 308GT, I would have initially opted for a Nautilus over an Aquanaut... One thing is certain, the price discrepancy had nothing to do with the decision making. If you can afford one, you can afford the other, and if you cannot, you probably shouldn't purchase either.

There are plenty of watches that wouldn't work for me, but sharing in the excitement over what works for other posters is what drives this forum. Making disparaging comments about other poster's watches is simple insolence, and ultimately makes me think somewhere beneath the waves of negativity lies a desire for the reference you claim to hate... the 5167.
Old 1 February 2019, 12:30 AM   #81
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
Well, I put them side by side and chose the 5167. It just speaks to me more than the Nautilus, which I also like and am currently waiting for, but I am in no rush, as I have plenty of other options to wear while I wait.

There's an article floating around the net which likens the 5167 to a vintage Speedster, and I really think the analogy suits the watch. Maybe this has something to do with my preference for one over the other: something regarding nostalgia, as I have fond memories of being transported to primary school in a 356. Perhaps if the 356 had been a 308GT, I would have initially opted for a Nautilus over an Aquanaut... One thing is certain, the price discrepancy had nothing to do with the decision making. If you can afford one, you can afford the other, and if you cannot, you probably shouldn't purchase either.

There are plenty of watches that wouldn't work for me, but sharing in the excitement over what works for other posters is what drives this forum. Making disparaging comments about other poster's watches is simple insolence, and ultimately makes me think somewhere beneath the waves of negativity lies a desire for the reference you claim to hate... the 5167.
There's a big price difference between Nautilus and Aquanaut (retail and market value).

I responded to some people's insistence that if you had the Aquanaut in your hand you would love it. Didn't happen with me... If I had any desire for the Aquanaut I wouldn't be selling it... Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups as they say. Assume less and contemplate more.
Old 1 February 2019, 12:41 AM   #82
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's a big price difference between Nautilus and Aquanaut (retail and market value).

I responded to some people's insistence that if you had the Aquanaut in your hand you would love it. Didn't happen with me... If I had any desire for the Aquanaut I wouldn't be selling it... Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups as they say. Assume less and contemplate more.
Old 1 February 2019, 12:43 AM   #83
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Ok, then let's look at AP Code 11.59
Old 1 February 2019, 01:39 AM   #84
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post

Just don't look TOO hard...
Old 1 February 2019, 01:43 AM   #85
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I cannot find a meme with two brits fighting. Lemme keep looking....
Old 1 February 2019, 01:56 AM   #86
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
It will take sth more meaningful than a 25% increase, probably external as well, to take matters back to normal I think. If there was a 25% increase I would expect grey market prices to rise as well in the current environment (may be less strongly, but to a level substantially above the new MSRP). As a result people would still feel comfortable buying and not drop off the list.
Exactly right, no one would drop off of the "list". The Aquanaut is grossly underpriced.
Old 1 February 2019, 02:25 AM   #87
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Wow thats a crazy situation! but the demand for each model is different in each country. in 2015 i was shown the next day an unsealed 5712 but I said I wanted a triple sealed one so they got me one in the next delivery which was in two months time. The market has moved on greatly.

If you look at chrono24 it shows that on average in early 2015 the market price for 5712s were £22,700, when rrp was about £22k, now the rrp is £30k the market price is £45k.
I have heard of single and double sealed Pateks but this is the first time I read of a triple sealed Patek. I am new to the brand and please enlighten me
Old 1 February 2019, 03:26 AM   #88
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I cannot find a meme with two brits fighting. Lemme keep looking....

Try googling parliament
Old 1 February 2019, 03:27 AM   #89
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post

Let’s not and say we did
Old 1 February 2019, 03:31 AM   #90
V25V
2024 Pledge Member