The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2016, 03:06 AM   #31
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post
Ok you're right and I'm wrong. Cheers my friend. Keep doing what you do. No purpose in having a diving bezel because the GMT fulfills all these functions! And the move from a 120-click bezel to a 24-click bezel entirely supports your cause! Bravo!
Cheers mate, I'll keep doing just that; wearing a GMT Master at work with absolutely no need whatsoever for a scuba diving watch to be worn alongside it on my wrist for timing aviation stuff. A 2nd watch would be superfluous, look ridiculous, and the pearly thing might drop off into my coffee. Thank you very much,

I was thinking since Rolex doesn't make a purpose-built Doctor's watch, for work maybe you should pick up a vintage Omega Speedy Pro with a pulsations bezel. You'll have more precise sub-seconds chrono displayed, a great historical pedigree, and in a pinch if you ever happen to need to time a re-entry burn on a stricken spacecraft you've been assigned to, you're golden
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 06:28 AM   #32
Dr. Prunesquallor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Cheers mate, I'll keep doing just that; wearing a GMT Master at work with absolutely no need whatsoever for a scuba diving watch to be worn alongside it on my wrist for timing aviation stuff. A 2nd watch would be superfluous, look ridiculous, and the pearly thing might drop off into my coffee. Thank you very much,

I was thinking since Rolex doesn't make a purpose-built Doctor's watch, for work maybe you should pick up a vintage Omega Speedy Pro with a pulsations bezel. You'll have more precise sub-seconds chrono displayed, a great historical pedigree, and in a pinch if you ever happen to need to time a re-entry burn on a stricken spacecraft you've been assigned to, you're golden
I guess I'm still honestly curious about how you use it. Just a calibrated eyeball that recognizes the angle between the index and the minute hand and automatically translates that to minutes? No sarcasm intended.
Dr. Prunesquallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 07:51 AM   #33
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. You go on and keep using your bezel in between detents and we're all happy.

Back to the OP, I personally would never use a GMT for this function and if you do a search on the forum, many previous threads have covered this issue that the function of the bezel (time zone reference vs minute timing) plays a large role in their decision of GMT vs Sub. Our pilot above is in the minority by using the GMT bezel for a timing function and he's right, it requires some arithmetic to use and it involves leaving the bezel in between detents. To each his own but I'll take a sub any day
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 10:02 AM   #34
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Prunesquallor View Post
I guess I'm still honestly curious about how you use it. Just a calibrated eyeball that recognizes the angle between the index and the minute hand and automatically translates that to minutes? No sarcasm intended.
Your pizza is done in 20 minutes. You set the bezel pip (triangle) 20 minutes ahead of where the minute hand is presently. When the minute hand hits the pip, your pizza is done. No math, easy peazy.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 10:15 AM   #35
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Your pizza is done in 20 minutes. You set the bezel pip (triangle) 20 minutes ahead of where the minute hand is presently. When the minute hand hits the pip, your pizza is done. No math, easy peazy.
dP
I love it when people keep it easy and don't over think something ... Awesome answer!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 10:20 AM   #36
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
dP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
I love it when people keep it easy and don't over think something ... Awesome answer!

Yup, that's our Dan...
Oscar level performance! In the category "Best use of a GMT as a countdown timer in a supporting role".

But Dan...How can I use my GMT bezel to measure the right amount of Pappy's to pour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 10:34 AM   #37
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
dP
This. I set the pip for the destination time as well and let the minute hand come to it. Even the ceramic GMT's with the 24 click bezel are within 1.25 minutes accurate. That's plenty good enough for most urban requirements like parking meters. Actually, I find the bi-directional 24 click bezel more convenient for most tasks than the Sub.

Now that this is resolved the question is does the OP know the GMT can also function as a compasss?
Old 2 March 2016, 10:37 AM   #38
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
This. I set the pip for the destination time as well and let the minute hand come to it. Even the ceramic GMT's with the 24 click bezel are within 1.25 minutes accurate. That's plenty good enough for most urban requirements like parking meters. Actually, I find the bi-directional 24 click bezel more convenient for most tasks than the Sub.

Now that this is resolved the question is does the OP know the GMT can also function as a compasss?
Only if he read posts #9, 10 and 16.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 10:47 AM   #39
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Only if he read posts #9, 10 and 16.
Doh! And I try to never miss your posts, Adam.
Old 2 March 2016, 10:50 AM   #40
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Doh! And I try to never miss your posts, Adam.
Likewise, my friend.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 11:15 AM   #41
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
wow. I just gave the recent posts a read! Thanks to everyone for this information. I now feel I have the knowledge to be a real GMT Master
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 11:46 AM   #42
albmich
"TRF" Member

Maybe Rolex will announce the return of the 120-click GMT bezel at Basel. Then everyone wins
Old 2 March 2016, 11:56 AM   #43
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post
Maybe Rolex will announce the return of the 120-click GMT bezel at Basel. Then everyone wins
Doubt it, the 24 click bezel was an improvement.
Old 2 March 2016, 12:12 PM   #44
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Simple answer from a simple mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yup, that's our Dan...
Oscar level performance! In the category "Best use of a GMT as a countdown timer in a supporting role".

But Dan...How can I use my GMT bezel to measure the right amount of Pappy's to pour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul, when it comes to Pappy we don't measure. Unless my brother in law comes over.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 2 March 2016, 12:20 PM   #45
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Doubt it, the 24 click bezel was an improvement.
I'm holding out for a return to a no-click, improved bakelite bezel with an updated radium mix so the numbers will glow on their own for 1,600 years.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 12:27 PM   #46
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm holding out for a return to a no-click, improved bakelite bezel with an updated radium mix so the numbers will glow on their own for 1,600 years.
Me too
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 01:38 PM   #47
Dr. Prunesquallor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
dP
Sorry, but that's a pretty trivial example. I can add 20 to the time in my head. I'm more interested in the OP's question - glance at your watch and quickly see how much time has elapsed. It's 5:16 and I set the bezel index - when I glance down the minute hand is between 7 and 8. How much time has elapsed - QUICK!
Dr. Prunesquallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 03:06 PM   #48
Jfullm42
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Guess you guys are going to the NCAA Tourney. Good luck playing UCLA and USC. Win out and you'll be a lock I believe. Nice season for the Ducks.
Ya they are playing well this season
Good moves in the off season for football to, picking up Hoke for D will hopefully help
Jfullm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 03:23 PM   #49
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Sorry, but that's a pretty trivial example. I can add 20 to the time in my head. I'm more interested in the OP's question - glance at your watch and quickly see how much time has elapsed. It's 5:16 and I set the bezel index - when I glance down the minute hand is between 7 and 8. How much time has elapsed - QUICK!
I think this was answered and it involves memorizing your 2.5 times table all the way up to 2.5X24=60
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 04:22 PM   #50
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
Quote:
Simple answer from a simple mind.

Paul, when it comes to Pappy we don't measure. Unless my brother in law comes over.
dP
This whole thread is the funniest one I've read except one in the joke section about a worker, his boss and his boss's wife.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 08:14 PM   #51
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
dP
Dan Pierce is the GMT Master
Old 2 March 2016, 10:19 PM   #52
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Again, no math necessary. In your scenario you can quickly and easily see by the bezel that approximately 20 mimutes has passed. Need more accuracy? BUY A CHRONOGRAPH.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 3 March 2016, 02:57 AM   #53
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Again, no math necessary. In your scenario you can quickly and easily see by the bezel that approximately 20 mimutes has passed. Need more accuracy? BUY A CHRONOGRAPH.
dP
Or use the stop watch app on your cell phone. Not sure what he's looking for but if I'm barking orders to a crash cart team, a life was hanging in the balance and timing was of the essence, I wouldn't be relying on a dive watch bezel either.
Old 3 March 2016, 05:09 AM   #54
albmich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or use the stop watch app on your cell phone. Not sure what he's looking for but if I'm barking orders to a crash cart team, a life was hanging in the balance and timing was of the essence, I wouldn't be relying on a dive watch bezel either.
Well then you darn sure wouldn't be relying on a GMT bezel which is even less accurate and more prone to error! My sub bezel will occasionally move when it is bumped. Now you're gonna rely on a bezel that isn't even solidly engaged in the detents?
Old 3 March 2016, 05:31 AM   #55
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

I have two dive watches with ratchet-less bezels that I wear when, wait for it.................diving. Although I rely on my fancy schmancy digital computer the bezels have never [ever] moved inadvertently on me, in or out of the water. But then, I'd never rely on a rotating bezel only if my life was in the balance.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 3 March 2016, 05:44 AM   #56
albmich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have two dive watches with ratchet-less bezels that I wear when, wait for it.................diving. Although I rely on my fancy schmancy digital computer the bezels have never [ever] moved inadvertently on me, in or out of the water. But then, I'd never rely on a rotating bezel only if my life was in the balance.
dP
That's awesome! I agree and don't have the same issue with my 1680. But it does happen with my modern sub and it seems like this is common around here based on the search I did. Heres to the friction ring!