The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2009, 12:38 PM   #1
gpaulson
"TRF" Member

Vintage/Used Rolex in Los Angeles?

I am thinking about a vintage/used Rolex to add to my other watches (1st Rolex, too). I'm in the greater Los Angeles area, and saw a site for a store Wanna-Buy-A-Watch (appear to specialize in vintage Rolex), and their pieces looked cool, but I don't know anything about their reputation. Has anyone dealt with them? Does anyone know about their pieces/prices/staff knowledge, etc? I don't want to bother making the trip in if they aren't good/legit. Thanks.
gpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 12:45 PM   #2
propedderkustom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Patek
Philippe's in Beverly Hills has got a good selection at very fair prices [considering they have an actual store - a nice one, right next to Louis Vuitton just off of Rodeo Drive].

I would stay away from the Jewelry District unless you REALLY know what you are doing - too much crap down there.
propedderkustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 12:52 PM   #3
gpaulson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propedderkustom View Post
Philippe's in Beverly Hills has got a good selection at very fair prices [considering they have an actual store - a nice one, right next to Louis Vuitton just off of Rodeo Drive].

I would stay away from the Jewelry District unless you REALLY know what you are doing - too much crap down there.
Maybe we're thinking about different places, this guy has a store on Melrose. Judging by the address, I think it must be somewhere between LaCienega and Crescent Heights.
Old 15 October 2009, 01:12 PM   #4
propedderkustom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaulson View Post
Maybe we're thinking about different places, this guy has a store on Melrose. Judging by the address, I think it must be somewhere between LaCienega and Crescent Heights.
I wasn't commenting on the place you saw. I was suggesting Philippe's and also saying, on another note, that you should probably stay away from the Jewelry District. I'm not familiar with "Wanna-Buy-A-Watch".
Old 15 October 2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
http://www.jewelersontime.com/

I would check this out.
Good people

TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 02:51 PM   #6
DRMOVIE1
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT/SS YM
my friend got his subby there. From what he told me he paid he got ripped... he bought a 1999 sub date for 4600? 1 year ago?
DRMOVIE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 02:58 PM   #7
USCpaneristi

Watch: Black SS Daytona
Wanna Buy a Watch is actually pretty famous, at least in the Southern California area. Personally, I think their watches are in general overpriced. Having said that, they have a very nice selection of hard to find watches.

Jewelers on Time is solid. The managers there are brothers who are absolutely stand-up guys and true watch enthusiasts. They also have Rolex-certified watchmakers on site.

Don't know much about Philippe's, but I'd trust the opinion of others on this forum.

Wherever you decide to go, happy hunting!
USCpaneristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 03:26 PM   #8
propedderkustom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCpaneristi View Post
Wanna Buy a Watch is actually pretty famous, at least in the Southern California area. Personally, I think their watches are in general overpriced. Having said that, they have a very nice selection of hard to find watches.

Jewelers on Time is solid. The managers there are brothers who are absolutely stand-up guys and true watch enthusiasts. They also have Rolex-certified watchmakers on site.

Don't know much about Philippe's, but I'd trust the opinion of others on this forum.

Wherever you decide to go, happy hunting!
You got me interested in Wanna Buy A Watch. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.
Old 15 October 2009, 10:43 PM   #9
mike
"TRF" Member

WBAW is straight up. Ken is a good guy and has a Rolex trained watchmaker on staff. Pricing is pretty strong though.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 03:42 AM   #10
gpaulson
"TRF" Member

While it sounds like they may not be the best deal in town, is the general consensus that they are on the up-and-up, are a legitimate vintage/pre-owned dealer and I would never end up with anything fake/in bad condition inside/repaired with non-Rolex parts, etc?
Old 16 October 2009, 03:58 AM   #11
veilstylez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaulson View Post
I am thinking about a vintage/used Rolex to add to my other watches (1st Rolex, too). I'm in the greater Los Angeles area, and saw a site for a store Wanna-Buy-A-Watch (appear to specialize in vintage Rolex), and their pieces looked cool, but I don't know anything about their reputation. Has anyone dealt with them? Does anyone know about their pieces/prices/staff knowledge, etc? I don't want to bother making the trip in if they aren't good/legit. Thanks.
Wanna buy a watch is great. Ken the owner is stand up. He sells a lot to celebrities. Mostly all vintage tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propedderkustom View Post

Philippe's is awesome too. I've bought and sold watches there. Philippe sells to celebs too, met many celebs while at his store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
I would check this out.
Good people

The twin brothers are AWESOME GUYS no doubt!!!! Have done a lot of business with them as well.

I trust all 3 of these dealers.
veilstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 08:20 AM   #12
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Any other feedback on WBAW? They have an impressive collection I must say.
Old 11 January 2010, 08:26 AM   #13
yukonjoe
"TRF" Member

I have bought 2 vintage Rolex watches from them, Ken and his staff are very helpful.
yukonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 09:48 AM   #14
towernick
Banned

I purchased my UN MMC from wanna buy a watch, they do have a selection of very very nice vintage pieces, mostly rolex and omega. I got a fair price on my UN and they ordered a new rubber strap for the watch, they paid for that btw. However, their prices on the Rolex models they have were higher than i've seen other places. The staff knows their stuff but they were not overly nice, one lady pretty rude and I got the feeling that because I was a younger guy, 25, they didn't take me seriously, kinda sucked. Nice place to browse but I don't think I would buy a watch from them again, kinda left a bad taste in my mouth now that I look back on it. Second Time Around is about two minutes from WBAW and the guy that owns that place is a really nice guy. Went in there to look once and ended up talking to him for like an hour, cool guy. They just lack the selection that WBAW has.
towernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 10:07 AM   #15
glendon21
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710
I bought my 5513 here and Justin is a nice guy.

Donald E Gruenberg Jewelers

* (310) 273-4577

344 N Beverly Dr, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
glendon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 10:46 AM   #16
aram
"TRF" Member

Wanna buy a watch has RETAIL prices. If you dont mind paying retail, they are a great place to purchase... Nice selection, hence why they sell to a lot of celebrities... and they dont mind paying retail.
aram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 12:04 PM   #17
Zanuf

I bought a few vintage watches from WBAW many years ago. Great selection and very knowledgeable. I thought the prices I paid were fair. You should know the value of the watch you’re buying. I doubt they would turn down a fair and reasonable offer. It’s nice to see that some of these brick and mortar shops are still around. If WBAW has a watch I want at a price I’m willing to pay, I would definitely do business with them.
Zanuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 12:16 PM   #18
Lowflight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Any other feedback on WBAW? They have an impressive collection I must say.
I bought a 1680 from them a few years ago....I overpaid by about $400-$500 what it was really worth....but the experience was positive and accommodating
Lowflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 01:49 PM   #19
jimmyk26
"TRF" Member

Pretty interesting thread, because my local jeweler recommended that I go to WBAW for the 14060M I have been looking for. I trust my local guy so I figured the place was legit. When I was on their website I noticed that their prices were a bit high, but they are a brick and mortar company and they do need to make money.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 06:12 PM   #20
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
I bought a vintage DJ from WBAW...everything went smooth. Very easy to deal with