The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2018, 10:39 PM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Thoughts?

Okay, sure, I know I can make this call on my own. Typically I do, and I will here too. But the Patek world is new to me, these numbers are somewhat staggering to me, and I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Last night the wife and I went to a watch store that was suggested to me from a friend. He is a local gray with a staggering stock. He also sells jewelry. In fact, he doesn’t even display his watches. But once you ask he brings out box after box of magnificence. I very much like the guy as he’s super personable. And his booth gets endless traffic. This was actually our second time there.

We went this time because my wife is looking to get a charm designed for her boss, for Christmas.

Anyway, he showed me a white dialed 5726. I think most of you guys know I’m enamored with my gray dial on rubber.

I also love my new 5711, but it is not on the level of the 26. I do love the look and feel of the 11,but the case is just slightly to small (for me) if I’m being honest. I also very much appreciate the complication of the 26. I love the white dial of the 11 and I like it on bracelet in comparison to the rubber of my 26. It’s a perfect pair to have.

This all said, I’m seriously debating doing a trade. He’s giving me a super deal. In fact he’s giving me what I paid for the 11. And he’s refinishing, based on his description, to the point of perfection. I was very clear I didn’t want to lose any steel and he said he would be super gentle. To the point that an imperfection to me, is better than losing steel. (I even mentioned recently that I kind of like imperfections, but I admit I’d prefer they come from me). Truth is tho, in person, it looked fantastic with very little wear. I did notice a few things when I zoom in on the picture below, but again in person, it already looks near perfect.

And finally, he said he will put it in writing that he will warranty it for two years. Which will actually mean, he will personally send it to Patek, at his cost, if anything happens within two years. It comes as a fully complete set.

My feelings are that I get the best of all worlds. I get the bracelet, the dial color I want, and the complication I love, along with the size of the case that I prefer.

Not sure what I lose? I have zero qualms about the dealer. If anything, I’m super impressed. I’ve never seen a stock like this and I trust the guy that referred me. Besides, he would not be as busy as he is, if he were not reputable. He is also about 5 miles from my house.

Still slightly nervous I think because it’s just such an expensive deal all around. These numbers are new to me. I also mention recently that I’ve bought a house. Expenses on that are ballooning. BUT this swap is costing me less than 5k. All things considered a relatively small sum.

In closing, my wife was anti 5711 the minute I showed it to her. She thinks it’s a stunning watch. Of course, it is a stunning watch. She just feels it’s too small for me. She is actually pushing me to make this trade.

In conclusion, I’m pretty sure I’m doing this. But if I’m missing something here, let me know.

Many thanks. Sorry about the book.

Picture comparison below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 02EB7660-859E-484C-9589-F3FC19235F54.jpeg (112.5 KB, 1079 views)

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:46 PM   #2
GK-
"TRF" Member

Sounds to me like you should do it. It’s everything you want, plus you have the wife on board for good measure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:57 PM   #3
SW1
Banned

5726 all the way
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Why not, you must follow your desires!
Old 18 November 2018, 11:22 PM   #5
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I personally would not go with x2 5726. Sorry for pooping on your idea my friend. The idea of opening my watch box each morning and seeing the exact same case and complication would really bother me (even if its in a different color). You mentioned you are not able to add much to your watch budget...the choice you are making is really limiting the versatility of the collection.

If the 5711 is too small for you - why not go up to a 5990 or 5980? Or heck, try the 5711 in rose.

You've been bingeing on watches and are in the infatuation stage....if you're like me I would say take a breather. Enjoy for a few months and then go check it out but all models if you can.

The 5711 will keep its value. Also....the idea of anyone refinishing a PP (outside of PP themselves) makes me cringe ;(
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 11:24 PM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I will do the swap if I were you. The 5726 white is stunning.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 11:38 PM   #7
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Here is what I would do personally...

Trade your white 5711 for the white 5726 being offered to you on a bracelet.

Find a 5990.

While waiting for the 5990 enjoy your gray 5726 on strap.

Trade the gray 5276 when the 5990 arrives.

Now you have two different Pateks with two different dial colors and 2 different complications that are much thicker and more robust on the wrist than the 5711.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 November 2018, 11:47 PM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I personally would not go with x2 5726. Sorry for pooping on your idea my friend. The idea of opening my watch box each morning and seeing the exact same case and complication would really bother me (even if its in a different color). You mentioned you are not able to add much to your watch budget...the choice you are making is really limiting the versatility of the collection.

If the 5711 is too small for you - why not go up to a 5990 or 5980? Or heck, try the 5711 in rose.

You've been bingeing on watches and are in the infatuation stage....if you're like me I would say take a breather. Enjoy for a few months and then go check it out but all models if you can.

The 5711 will keep its value. Also....the idea of anyone refinishing a PP (outside of PP themselves) makes me cringe ;(
Great feedback. Thank you.

I think much of what you say has to deal with personality though.

I have 9 pairs of the exact same pants. All my shirts are extremely similar just varying colors. I sort of have a uniform I wear everyday. And I like it this way.

When I find something I like, I tend to stick with it.

And yes, I’m a bit of a binger and definitely in the infatuation stage. That I can surely agree with. Also not sure it’ll ever change. But, what I can say is that I fall in and out of love pretty easy. The fact that I still like my gray dial 5726 after this amount of time does say something.

Definitely all good food for thought tho.

Old 18 November 2018, 11:50 PM   #9
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Hey seth, make sure im getting this right...your 5711 + $5k for 5726 in bracelet?

If thats the case i would do the trade but Id sell off the 5726 on rubber as well, it a little redundant. Save the money you get from the sale of the 26 on strap for the next watch.

In this scenario you would would basically have sourced the 5726 white on bracelet for a fraction of the cost.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 11:50 PM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
Here is what I would do personally...

Trade your white 5711 for the white 5726 being offered to you on a bracelet.

Find a 5990.

While waiting for the 5990 enjoy your gray 5726 on strap.

Trade the gray 5276 when the 5990 arrives.

Now you have two different Pateks with two different dial colors and 2 different complications that are much thicker and more robust on the wrist than the 5711.

I really like the way you think. And I love the 5990. The only flaw in your plan right now is how I feel bout the gray on rubber. I’m a bit of a rubber freak. If I could do the 90 on rubber, that would make this more appealing to me.

Other option is keep both 26’s and wait for the 5164 my AD said would be a year out at most. Maybe less. I’m apparently number 2 on the list. That would be a heck of a trio and it gives me some time to save up.

But again, love the way you think.

Old 18 November 2018, 11:54 PM   #11
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Hey seth, make sure im getting this right...your 5711 + $5k for 5726 in bracelet?

If thats the case i would do the trade but Id sell off the 5726 on rubber as well, it a little redundant. Save the money you get from the sale of the 26 on strap for the next watch.

In this scenario you would would basically have sourced the 5726 white on bracelet for a fraction of the cost.
Love the new avatar buddy!!!

I would need something on rubber to replace the gray. If I like the white as much as I do the gray, I could possibly sell the gray to fund the 64 if/when that happens. Considering how I feel about the gray on blue, not sure I could ever do that. I honestly don’t think I’ll ever sell that. But I know the future is hard to see

Man this was much easier when doing it with Rolex.

Truly, I’m looking to find the perfect little collection and settle down. I was slowing down nicely. I might need to just realize I’m never getting out of this hobby.

Old 19 November 2018, 12:02 AM   #12
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Love the new avatar buddy!!!

I would need something on rubber to replace the gray. If I like the white as much as I do the gray, I could possibly sell the gray to fund the 64 if/when that happens. Considering how I feel about the gray on blue, not sure I could ever do that. I honestly don’t think I’ll ever sell that. But I know the future is hard to see

Man this was much easier when doing it with Rolex.

Truly, I’m looking to find the perfect little collection and settle down. I was slowing down nicely. I might need to just realize I’m never getting out of this hobby.

Thanks. Yeah i was having a tough time sizing the avatar otherwise it would have been there a while back :)

For you definitely swap the 26 on strap for a 64.

If you dont have to have it right away, another route would be to wait order a 5726 on bracelt and 5164

And sell the 2 watches you have as the new references come in. I think you would net out even better in this scenario. By maybe 15k. Your net spend on both watches would be $65k rougjly. 45+35k -$15k
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 12:08 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I think I like the trade Seth.

Obviously I’m not a Patek guy tho, so my opinion is based on what I “think” I know

Just wondering ... would it be possible to swing a trade for your current 5726 to a 5712? That would give you a killer 1-2punch.

EDIT: congrats on the new house brother ... did I miss that here?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 12:10 AM   #14
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Seth, I would do it. I love the 5726 on the bracelet. It sounds like this is what you want. Also, text me his info or ask him if he has a perfect 5070. What I’m looking for now....

He is not willing to do the swap for $2500, the 5711s are so hot now.
fastmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 12:15 AM   #15
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Seth you seem like a great guy so let me be brutally honest and these are just my opinions and preferences so all in all they mean nothing. I dont like anything that is not OEM. If you are a rubber freak then I would wait patiently for a 5164A. 5711 White and 5164A sounds to me like a killer pair. You may not fully appreciate the 5711 now and I openly say it is the most overrated watch on the planet and own one but there is something about being a fan of the brand and having a 5711 or 12. I would ditch the 5726 as it would be very easy to get back. Also, i totally agree with Jin that nobody should be touching up or light polishing watches aside from Patek and if a watch needs polished due to scratches I would pass on it in the first place. This hobby is crazy, addictive, and expensive. I would focus on the new house and shift my Money towards that. Happy Hunting and take it slow brother!

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 12:17 AM   #16
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I think I like the trade Seth.

Obviously I’m not a Patek guy tho, so my opinion is based on what I “think” I know

Just wondering ... would it be possible to swing a trade for your current 5726 to a 5712? That would give you a killer 1-2punch.

EDIT: congrats on the new house brother ... did I miss that here?
Thanks brother. I didn’t post anything about it yet. Just a few random comments. I’ll be going by today so I’ll likely take a pic and post about it. Pretty exciting times

Old 19 November 2018, 12:17 AM   #17
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Get the house sorted and mortgage (if any) paid off first, IMO.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 12:24 AM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Seth you seem like a great guy so let me be brutally honest and these are just my opinions and preferences so all in all they mean nothing. I dont like anything that is not OEM. If you are a rubber freak then I would wait patiently for a 5164A. 5711 White and 5164A sounds to me like a killer pair. You may not fully appreciate the 5711 now and I openly say it is the most overrated watch on the planet and own one but there is something about being a fan of the brand and having a 5711 or 12. I would ditch the 5726 as it would be very easy to get back. Also, i totally agree with Jin that nobody should be touching up or light polishing watches aside from Patek and if a watch needs polished due to scratches I would pass on it in the first place. This hobby is crazy, addictive, and expensive. I would focus on the new house and shift my Money towards that. Happy Hunting and take it slow brother!
Thanks for the feedback.

As for the polishing, apparently the guy doing it worked as a watch make for a PP AD. But I get your point. And I did express similar concerns. I do have the option to deny the watch if I proceed and I’m not 100% happy with the results.

And will definitely think about the rest of what you say.

I do think I’m going to proceed. But the feedback is heard and appreciated.

Old 19 November 2018, 12:25 AM   #19
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
For me - I’ve never been a 5726 guy — nor would I get rid of ANY 5711 - just like a 15202. Call it the ‘purist’ in me - too much history behind these references.

For a rubber strap- the 5164 is my favorite daily Patek. (I too am an OEM fan).

But....you’ve gotta do what makes you happy - I get that! Pateks can become a slippery slope VERY quickly my friend!!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 12:28 AM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Get the house sorted and mortgage (if any) paid off first, IMO.
Appreciate that. More than you can know. I’m pretty anal about being prepared.

No mortgage. And keeping my townhouse and renting that out. No mortgage there either. Funds for the renovations are accounted for too. I just hate seeing my accounts drop after so many years of saving. It’s painful.

Besides the car lease for my daily (business write off), all other cars are paid off. Zero debt. No kids, and retirement/investment accounts are all in order.

I also have 24 months stashed for a rainy day.

Like I say, I’m pretty nuts about certain things.

Old 19 November 2018, 12:30 AM   #21
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

If you're the Steve Jobs type (same black turtleneck), then ya go for it : )

The pricing is ok so no harm no foul.

Blasphamy here but I think I might like the Yachtmaster Rose on rubber if you're into rubber straps. Oh wait... its "Oysterflex" :)
Old 19 November 2018, 12:36 AM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
If you're the Steve Jobs type (same black turtleneck), then ya go for it : )

The pricing is ok so no harm no foul.

Blasphamy here but I think I might like the Yachtmaster Rose on rubber if you're into rubber straps. Oh wait... its "Oysterflex" :)
Okay, so I’m not quite that bad. But I’m close. I recent bought a pair of boots that I already have. They will sit in the closet for years. But they will be ready when I wear through the ones I wear just about everyday.

And I absolutely love the 116655. I’ve had it. And I’m a little ashamed to admit I moved it recently.

But I only play with play money. Sometimes it hurts, as it did moving the YM. But I’ve no regrets. And I don’t touch money I’ve put away. Every fund had its purpose and the fun fund doesn’t grow fast enough. So I do flip when necessary.

Old 19 November 2018, 12:38 AM   #23
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

I bought 3 pairs of the same hyperdunks for basketball on Black Friday...combo of cheap and obsessive?!

Oh man, I am trying to convince my AD to get me the 116655 for $18k...we'll see :D

Quote:
Okay, so I’m not quite that bad. But I’m close. I recent bought a pair of boots that I already have. They will sit in the closet for years. But they will be ready when I wear through the ones I wear just about everyday.

And I absolutely love the 116655. I’ve had it. And I’m a little ashamed to admit I moved it recently.

But I only play with play money. Sometimes it hurts, as it did moving the YM. But I’ve no regrets. And I don’t touch money I’ve put away. Every fund had its purpose and the fun fund doesn’t grow fast enough. So I do flip when necessary.
Old 19 November 2018, 01:19 AM   #24
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Hi Seth:
(the host of the great NJ GTG... :-) )

My little voice here...I would not trade anything at the moment. I lean toward restraint ~ always tomorrow on "wants" as opposed to "needs". I have no crystal ball as to the surprises new digs would have for me.

While I know little about the watch trading you are contemplating, just from the point of view of changing residences; I will lend my experience here. My contractor, for the restoration of my home, found many "original build" issues from 30+ years ago, that we had to correct. Frankly, it was overwhelming.
So many extra thousands spent. My budget was blown because of 'unseen' problems. So, while that was my dilemma, I hope you will be blessed with no surprises that will be costly to you after you close and reside there.

Thinking back to when you were contemplating another property, I remember suggesting you keep your current dwelling and lease (provided you could find a great tenant and management company, if you couldn't do it yourself). I am smiling that you have done that. Never know when you might want to move back.

Anyway, big congrats on your progress!

Blessings,
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 01:48 AM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I really like the white 26 so I would get that. Then the 5164 and that would make a great sports pair if you don't want three PPs as there is some crossover with the two grey dials on rubber. The price of the white 5711 commands a high premium here so make sure you are getting full value for it in this deal.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 02:02 AM   #26
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate that. More than you can know. I’m pretty anal about being prepared.

No mortgage. And keeping my townhouse and renting that out. No mortgage there either. Funds for the renovations are accounted for too. I just hate seeing my accounts drop after so many years of saving. It’s painful.

Besides the car lease for my daily (business write off), all other cars are paid off. Zero debt. No kids, and retirement/investment accounts are all in order.

I also have 24 months stashed for a rainy day.

Like I say, I’m pretty nuts about certain things.
Looks like you're set.

I don't know that I'd buy the same watch twice (at this level - I have three steel Subs!), but if you like it enough, why not?
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 02:13 AM   #27
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't particularly want two of essentially the same watch, but given what you've expressed, it sounds like it might suit you. Oh, and I second not letting anyone other than Patek handling a service or polish.
Old 19 November 2018, 02:34 AM   #28
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'd go for a different Patek. Maybe think about a grand complication since you've taken to the brand lately. Keep the 5711 imo for a rainy day once you find the right trade. This grey seller is probably a good guy, but he knows darn well what the 5711 will fetch hence his offer.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 03:30 AM   #29
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I dunno about this, I would likely never have two of the same pieces, makes little sense to me. I think your happy place will be the 5726 white on bracelet and then the 5164a when it comes available. I would hold out until the 5164 arrives and then make the move, you should have no problems selling the 5711 when/if you are ready.

I am not a huge fan of the 5726 however and you seem to be. So if this is what makes you happy, go for it! I just might wait until you can get one from a TS here or AD as this refinish and everything else seems a bit salesy to me. I would walk from that deal if it were me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 04:00 AM   #30
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Financially the deal makes sense, so I say do what makes you happy. But maybe try not to think about it and see if you feel the same in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote