The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 December 2022, 06:54 AM   #1
lvseicsh
"TRF" Member

Oyster Perpetual 31 6548 - Looking for information

Hi everyone, I'm looking for information on the watch I inherited from my Great Uncle George. He died in in 1979 when I was 3 years old and it was given to me as a college graduation present in 2001. It's time for me to sell it to help pay for college for my 2 daughters.

Here's what I think know:
  • It keeps time well
  • It has "31" stamped and "16559" etched between the lugs
  • There's a serial number etched on the band "328055"
  • The service tickets mention reference number 6548, but I can't see anything on the watch with that number
  • The band is marked "1/10 - 14KGF"
  • The back of the case has no markings

Here's what want I know:
  • What is an AD?
  • What is the age? Could the etched number on the band correlate to the S/N of the watch? If so, that would put it at 1958.
  • Where is the best place to sell it?
  • Any tidbits of information or knowledge

Thanks,
Leo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full 1250.JPG (76.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Everything 1250.jpg (279.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Between the lugs 1250.jpg (101.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Back 1250.jpg (101.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Band_1 1250.JPG (56.4 KB, 36 views)
lvseicsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 07:51 AM   #2
CTech
"TRF" Member

The watch head seems to be solid gold, probably 14 carat from around 1957 to 1958 and the bracelet is a later gold plated US one made by C&I.

The 76 date code on the clasp of the bracelet ties up with the envelope date of October 1976 and also with a reference in the 0-16559 estimate where it states that a new bracelet is required.

The 31 stamp in the case is almost certainly the start of the serial number and the rest of it has been worn away. Because there was no legible serial number at the time of repair it looks as if the Rolex service department has engraved the invoice number 16559 between the lugs so they can identify it as it is cleaned and reassembled.

The original hands were replaced in the first service on estimate 0-16559 to a more modern style compared to the original late 1950s ones, and this is also a line item in the estimate.

The model number (6548) used in the estimates probably comes from the information inside the case back and if you get a watchmaker to remove it you will probably also find a date code, confirmation of the gold content and some old service marks.

The original model number would have been between the lugs at the 12 o'clock position and it looks as if it has also been worn away. There are a couple of engraved letters still visible, possibly part of Registered Design or something similar.

As for value, the 14 carat watch head with movement has some value and you can get a good indication from other late 1950s 6548 sales. Bearing in mind that it is a badly worn case and the hands are not period correct, you could probably be looking at getting somewhere around $3000 for it. The gold plated bracelet has less value and you might be better trying to sell the watch on a leather strap and then trying to sell the bracelet separately.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 08:37 AM   #3
lvseicsh
"TRF" Member

Wow CTech! Thank you. That's a lot more information than I expected. And I never noticed that the engraved 16559 matched the invoice number!!!!

I can't even find a trace of numbers from the 12 o'clock position. I'll look again though

What do you think the "328055" engraved on the inside of the band clasp would be?
lvseicsh is offline   Reply With Quote