The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 November 2022, 03:04 AM   #1
nate32114
"TRF" Member

Jewelers Mutual

For anyone considering using Jewelers Mutual for a new policy, I would advise against it. I just tried to start a policy on my 116710BLNR, and was declined by them for "type or nature of the jewelry." They even took payment on my card right away, then several days later emailed me the declination letter. When I called, the rude gentleman I spoke with insisted it was because they've had an increase in claims on that "type of watch".

From what I've read on here, it sounds like many of you use Jewelers Mutual. Has anyone had anything similar recently? I ended up saying "so you're telling me there's no way you'll cover this watch?" and he said "no" and that was basically the end of it.

Based on the interaction and application process I just had with them, I will never consider them in the future for any of my watches....I'd seriously question how the process would go on a claim if the application process was this bad.
nate32114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 01:09 PM   #2
darius359
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
My buddy had a similar experience with them recently, when he tried to insure his new AP. They denied him but they told him it was because of the value of the watch and his address, stating with recently increased crime, they couldn't offer to cover his watch at this time.

I've used them for years and have a dozen items on my policy, including a watch I added last week. They're less expensive than WAX and Hodinkee insurance and filing a claim is easy if you have a police report.
darius359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:46 PM   #3
Seekthefinest
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I had a policy with Jewelers Mutual for years and it was fine, but the prices kept increasing. When I was looking to add some jewelry pieces to the policy, I decided to look at other options and found that Brite Co. was a more affordable option. Rolex does have some special requirements around coverage (i.e. they have to be worn or in storage), but might be an option.
Seekthefinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:11 PM   #4
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

I use both JM and Hodinkee. I’ve moved all of our watches to Hodinkee and kept my wife’s jewelry with JM. I know Hodinkee is a bit more expensive but I find the flexibility and ease of adding pieces worth it…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:35 PM   #5
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I was with JM for years and always found the addition to coverage daunting. In the end, for me, it is about coverage but also customer service. Hodinkee, Chubb Insurance, is the best I have found in ease of process for listing and modifying coverage. As my watches increased in value I increased them in value on the policy. As they have lost some value in the current market I have brought those values down. Very easy and the customer service at Hodinkee is great. Pedro is the Customer Service Representative and you could not ask for a more professional person and he is also very nice and personable. I can not speak to the claims service as I have never made a claim nor do I hope I ever have to. Fees and rates are always an important part of insurance but many times you get what you pay for and there is not enough difference for me to stay with JM. Just my experience.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 03:39 AM   #6
avidflyer
2024 Pledge Member

I've used them for years, still do no issues. (JM)
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 07:05 PM   #7
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Can't speak for Hodinkee but I can speak from experience that JM was wonderful to work with on a claim I had with them replacing a $10,000 stolen Rolex. So they are the only insurer I will ever use.

I hear a lot of people on this site saying how great Hodinkee is but you only truly know what insurance companies are about when you put in a claim.

Can anyone here vouch for Hodinkee in that regard?
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 11:31 AM   #8
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Hodinkee is really Chubb. They have been around forever, insuring cars, jewelry, other collectibles. Lots of positive feedback on their claims process. JM has (mostly) stopped writing the kind of policies people on this forum would want. They decline pretty much everyone with Rolex and high dollar watches now. I haven’t heard of them underwriting a new client on these forums in a long time.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 02:19 PM   #9
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I use hodinkee and find the ease of use to be worth the extra few bucks they charge.