"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Love some of their pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 06:52 PM   #32
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

VC has the most selection of watches that I'd like to personally own vs any other brand in the current lineup. The finishing in person is stunning as well.
Mutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:10 AM   #33
mayank1280
"TRF" Member

I like their fifty six complete calendar. Their blue is at different level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mayank1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 06:00 PM   #34
kanwind
"TRF" Member

i own a 4500v only and always dreamin one day that i can own another one....The Flying Dutchman

but I know that i will never get one
kanwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 12:11 AM   #35
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post
Fantastic watches but the hype train has hit and and boutiques are playing games like the rest.
Not sure they're playing games. VC just don't make nearly as many watches as some other top brands, and they have trouble keeping up with demand, which has surged over the last 2-3 years.

VC finishing/quality is stunning, and I love a lot of their offerings, although I find the designs a little fussy at times.

The current Overseas three-hander, especially the blue dial, is by far my favorite modern watch. I'm in the process of buying another one, which will be the third time I've owned it. Holding it in my hand alongside one of my sports Rolexes, and the difference is shocking. Makes the Rolex feel almost like a Swatch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC Rubber Sun-TRF.jpg (282.2 KB, 269 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 05:00 AM   #36
thetahoess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
My favorite brand by far. Obviously the oldest continuously operating Swiss watchmaker in the world, which gives them the historical chops. But above all else, they reign supreme in terms of design. Vacheron has pioneered case shape and lug design better than pretty much any other brand, with the only competitor being Cartier. You don't even have to love all their designs, but you can't say they haven't been more innovative than Patek, AP, Rolex, Lange, etc. And while Cartier may be a competitor in terms of design chops over the last 100+ years, Vacheron puts Cartier to dust in terms of its movements and technical innovation, so theres that.

Vacheron doesn't get as much love as Patek, AP, and Rolex, but who cares? Some of that criticism is because of Richemont ownership, which doesn't make sense because you have to judge the finished product. Nobody complains that Volkswaggen owns lamboghini. Plus, being part of Richemont has allowed VC to gain some of the innovations that other brands have used, such as the easy strap change system.

Some of the lack of hype comes from the fact that Vacheron tends to be more artsy as alluded to above, so the appeal to rappers and other cultural tastemakers who drive hype (that in turn drives resale value) isn't there. Also, there watches tend to be a little bit smaller than modern AP or Patek, especially their vintage references - the recent shift to larger watches certainly didn't drive any vacheron hype - but perhaps the shifting back towards smaller watches might. Plus theres just great value to be had on vintage previous vacherons. As a buyer of Vacheron, this is great because you don’t have to pay inflated prices. Real watch connosuiers know what Vacheron stands for, its prestige, and would never scoff at ownership.

Heck, look at AP. So much of their everything is the royal oak. They just tinker with the materials, configurations, etc. But look at how many offerings Vacheron has. Vacheron also has perfected the homage to past models with its Historiques line. Name another brand that has so successfully page homage to the past without doing it in such a tacky way, such as Omega with faux patina? The Historiques collection stands alone among the major watchmakers in that regard.
Have to agree here as well. I have an extensive collection spanning several Maison. Vacheron is unarguably my favorite.

B
thetahoess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 05:59 PM   #37
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

As a self claimed watch connoisseur, I don't have any particular fondness toward quartz, except my two FPJ Elegantes. My wife does not wear hers in diamond often and recently came home with a quartz watch from Cartier that is 10k. To me she was duped by a SA that was just helping her with a repair on some jewelry. It's not even Tank or Santos!

How does this relate to Vacheron and what I think of the brand? I took full advantage of the Cartier full refund policy and "forced" her to get this. She later of course prefers the VC.

Take home points:
1. don't let your wife goes alone into Cartier for watches
2. FPJ elegante quartz is a true respectable watch
3. Vacheron lady overseas looks 20k more expensive than it is, and for the general public who does not know much about watches including my wife, it is more respectable than FPJ. lol.
4. Woman lies.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 06:09 PM   #38
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

and for myself, I personally love how understated the brand is and it does not shout look at me, in addition to everything else said above. I however did fall for this look at me watch for VC. So to me in terms of horology, AP is really really boring and I passed on several opportunities. (please don't defend it with a 11.59 wandering hours movement). Recently, Patek quality is becoming reversely proportional to the higher production numbers, except the few application pieces.
I have a new blue dial steel overseas ready for my son's medical school graduation.

ALS is another one I personally see it as a Vacheron parallel.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2022, 01:06 PM   #39
mulberry083
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post
Fantastic watches but the hype train has hit and and boutiques are playing games like the rest.
Not my experience either. Recently visited a boutique to see the blue 4500v, and they couldn’t have been nicer. Spent over an hour with me showing me the watch, no pressure to purchase other pieces. It was a great experience.

I know I’ll need to be patient, but can’t wait to get the call.
mulberry083 is offline   Reply With Quote