The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 17 November 2022, 04:17 AM   #61
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexjackson View Post
I can say that after attending a Panerai event put on by my local AD. The brand Panerai is loved by so many great people. The aesthetics of the pieces are very unique and stand out on their own and I admire that. Of course to your point none of us want to buy something that lets be honest is for the most part is completely unnecessary and very expensive be worth much less than what we originally paid for it. But instead it’s because we all love to talk about the history and stories behind each piece. The milestones we celebrate in our lives that are marked by the beloved cushion cases on our wrists. Panerai is a special brand and is a little different than the standard that all other watches try to be. I’ll also share a little eye candy that I got to see last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, what reference is this?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 10:10 AM   #62
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Is Panerai still relevant anymore (compared to Omega/Rolex)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post

the model number is Pam 000600 it is a skeleton Turbion gmt with a minute repeater. It was INCREDIBLE to see

rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 03:39 AM   #63
knyshcollection
2024 Pledge Member

Panerai is a great brand ! And still will be
knyshcollection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 07:15 AM   #64
Cassidyanne
Banned

A once great brand that nobody cares about anymore.....all due to the constant releases of new models that look exactly te same to the casual watch buyer. Limited Editions, Special Editions, minor changes here and there. Its just sad!!
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 07:44 AM   #65
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
To me, the iconic Panerai's have the following in their DNA:

1. 1950 or 1940 case
2. domed crystal
3. sandwich dial
4. crown guard (on the non-Radiomir models)
5. exhibition back
6. manual wind

What of their current line shows any of this classic lineage?

Classic Panerai? You're looking at recent times. Classic is a Rolex watch with a swapped out plastic dial and only 30 m of water resistance. That's classic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 03:35 PM   #66
Iamci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidyanne View Post
A once great brand that nobody cares about anymore.....all due to the constant releases of new models that look exactly te same to the casual watch buyer. Limited Editions, Special Editions, minor changes here and there. Its just sad!!
And the nickel and diming of their remaining loyal customers. Removing the hacking on the P9010 was bad enough. Then they removed the display backs because they cheaped out on the finishing of the movements.

Honestly I love the Panerai designs but they’re just not a buy-able brand anymore and it saddens me.
Iamci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 06:03 PM   #67
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I don’t know. I have been thinking of getting an Explorer for the longest time, but decided to instead get an older PAM111 last week, and absolutely love it. Older Panerais (like older IWCs or 5-digit Rolex) will always be great in their own right.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 10:44 PM   #68
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamci View Post
And the nickel and diming of their remaining loyal customers. Removing the hacking on the P9010 was bad enough. Then they removed the display backs because they cheaped out on the finishing of the movements.

Honestly I love the Panerai designs but they’re just not a buy-able brand anymore and it saddens me.
The Rolex sub, (one of the most in-demand watches in the world) gives you a average quality stamped dial with cluttered text, a low grade green box, no display case back, average finished movement and not much else. Yet it's the most buy-able brand in the world. Imagine that!
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 01:00 AM   #69
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyanne View Post
a once great brand that nobody cares about anymore.....all due to the constant releases of new models that look exactly te same to the casual watch buyer. Limited editions, special editions, minor changes here and there. Its just sad!!
+1
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 05:15 AM   #70
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
I don’t know. I have been thinking of getting an Explorer for the longest time, but decided to instead get an older PAM111 last week, and absolutely love it. Older Panerais (like older IWCs or 5-digit Rolex) will always be great in their own right.
I'd take my 111 over an Explorer any day
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 07:46 AM   #71
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
The Rolex sub, (one of the most in-demand watches in the world) gives you a average quality stamped dial with cluttered text, a low grade green box, no display case back, average finished movement and not much else. Yet it's the most buy-able brand in the world. Imagine that!

Perhaps stick with talking up Panerai. Bagging another brand for no reason just reflects on you rather than the brand. Particularly when you're wrong on facts.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 07:55 AM   #72
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Perhaps stick with talking up Panerai. Bagging another brand for no reason just reflects on you rather than the brand. Particularly when you're wrong on facts.

Perhaps you misinterpreted....he quoted another post and replied. I think that was more of a tongue in cheek comparison Rolex to Panerai; the point being, Rolex, a popular brand, also has some of the same issues complained about on a Panerai yet due to the name, these relatively minor issues aren't mentioned. Just my take, don't have a dog in that fight
Old 24 November 2022, 08:02 AM   #73
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
I'd take my 111 over an Explorer any day
Partly got interested in it from reading some of your posts here. Thanks, Wade.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 08:06 AM   #74
donas
Banned

Quote:
Partly got interested in it from reading some of your posts here. Thanks, Wade.
If that's the case Matt, you better not even click on my recent incoming thread!! I have a new favorite for my daily ...
Enjoy the 111
Old 24 November 2022, 02:31 PM   #75
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamci View Post

Sad but this is true. Very poor move by Panerai. I am so happy I got my dot dial Pam233 and would never change it for the newer ones.

Rolextellstime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 02:43 AM   #76
ara.hambone
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT MasterII
Probably nothing new to add, but I recently coughed up a bunch for a GMT II and I was originally thinking about selling my 320 to free up funds. Let's call it a testament to Panerai that I simply can't let it go, I love this watch. The aesthetic remains unique, classic for dress or casual depending on the strap.

While there may be model overload, if you love it...wear it and enjoy.
ara.hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 02:57 AM   #77
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post

It doesn't reflect on my whatsoever. That is precisely what you get when you buy a Rolex Sub.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 11:07 PM   #78
Noxa
"TRF" Member

I’ve got to the point that buy what you like, what you love and be happy, I’ve owned 4 Rolex and for me they’re great watches, but honestly none of them sung to me at all, but for some they sing from the rooftops and that’s also fine. At these price points Rolex and Panerai you’re getting a good watch, that’s all nothing special finish or movement wise but again that’s fine, I have a PAM 425 with the simple P.3000 hand wind and I adore it, really do love the thing, hardly the last word in horological though, so I care, nope.

I will say there are a LOT of fantastic brands out there making lovely watches so maybe look what really sings to you.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 11:11 PM   #79
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
It doesn't reflect on my whatsoever. That is precisely what you get when you buy a Rolex Sub.
Have to say I really agree here, people seem to think you’re getting a Bugatti when in reality you’re getting an Audi, lovely compared to a Vauxhall but don’t think you’re getting a Bugatti as makes you look silly.
Old 26 November 2022, 11:30 PM   #80
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexjackson View Post
the model number is Pam 000600 it is a skeleton Turbion gmt with a minute repeater. It was INCREDIBLE to see

You’ll need a heavy wallet for that one
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:44 AM   #81
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I have had the same tobacco dial titanium 2003 era F Luminor Marina since 2007. I’ve put it up for sale 3x and always end up keeping it. I enjoy it a lot more than my 16710 GMT Coke. I’m less worried about bashing it or trashing it. I like seeing the ETA movement. I like buying new straps. Today I went all out and went to the PB and bought a navy croc strap and a black rubber one. Both for deployant. It’s my int’l travel watch more than any other. I leave my Speedy’s at home. Paid 4ish. Worth 4ish. My college age son now has laid claim to it. He can’t have it. Gave him an 1861 hesalite Speedy instead.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:14 AM   #82
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
not sure what the term "still relevant" means. I bought my first Panerai 20 years ago when no one knew what a Panerai was, so you could consider that the brand was unknown and "not relevant" at the time. But the history, style , quality and presence of the watches captured my imagination and I fell in love with the Brand in 2002 and still love it to this day. From my perspective, buy and enjoy what you like, that's all you need to make it relevant.
Excelent answer...
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:22 AM   #83
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very good choice. Rolex has very inflated prices and I think that in 2023, the way things are going, they are going to burst like a balloon does.
I am also looking for a 111 but at a fair and real price because I do not want to lose a lot of money as happened with a 111 that I had almost 10 years ago.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 02:16 PM   #84
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Panerai is still relevant to the true fans. I no longer own one but I wish I had kept my 233 or my 212. I find myself looking at the grey market for one at the right price.
I'm also looking at older IWC pilots, as someone earlier mentioned, the older models have that special sauce. I wear my SD4K still, but a lot less than I used to.
Old 30 November 2022, 11:23 PM   #85
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergreenhand View Post
Panerai is still relevant to the true fans. I no longer own one but I wish I had kept my 233 or my 212. I find myself looking at the grey market for one at the right price.
I'm also looking at older IWC pilots, as someone earlier mentioned, the older models have that special sauce. I wear my SD4K still, but a lot less than I used to.

Man, the 233 is just an amazing watch. I don’t understand why Panerai discontinued it. Boggles my mind.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 05:17 AM   #86
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Panerai may become like Saab or Land Rover. The older models will be more desirable. Those with screw in case backs. 44mm or larger. Deep dive capability.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 06:48 AM   #87
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Some good points made in many of the posts, I think the way it’s being run then there likely isn’t much of a future, the amount of models is absurd, many serve literally no purpose, the downgrades to the movements, I had my heart set on a Submersible goldtech until the P.900 reared it’s ugly head, a £25k watch with that movement as it’s heart, you’d have to be mental to hand over the money. I have imo the perfect Panerai, and I’d like to acquire an early Submersible but other than that I’m done with the brand, I think early models will do well in the future but I certainly wouldn’t be buying a new one now. No matter if you love or hate their designs you can’t deny they fill a void in watchmaking, nothing else out there quite like a Panerai.
Old 6 December 2022, 02:09 PM   #88
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Pams wear very comfortably for a 44mm watch.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2022, 02:56 PM   #89
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
I think a lot of this has to do with Panerai attempting to break away from the Paneristi and into the more mainstream market

Sure, the movement downgrade and influx of smaller, less WR models is unappealing to the traditional Panerai fan, but data would suggest the traditional Panerai fan hasnt bought a new watch in years, and if they did, they didnt buy it direct from Panerai

If that's who you're trying to market too, you're doomed to fail, so they pivot to the non watch fan (the type who DOESNT frequent watch forums and F/Book groups) to provide an interesting alternative to Rolex/Tag/Tudor/IWC etc

They have unique design and they're leveraging that in addition towards their sustainability marketing, in order to generate buzz from people who just want a nice, interesting watch

Lets face is, if 47mm, Screw Down Back, SS tool watches were selling like hot cakes, Panerai would still be producing them

As someone who considers themselves a Panerai fan, I wouldnt buy one at retail (and there are newer models i'm interested in) as i know i can pick up a relative bargain by buying pre-owned/grey rather than pay the AD premium, so I'm part of the problem

If you dont evolve, your primary market ages out and dies and you're left with nothing

Does that mean Panerai is not longer relevant?
Well, that depends on how you define relevance
The mechanical wrist watch is largely irrelevant at the best of times
I'd argue that if you remove the principles of "value retention/appreciation" and "luxury branding" from Rolex, theyre not that relevant in 2022 outside of Horology fans and Hype Beasts
Old 6 December 2022, 09:48 PM   #90
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I think a lot of this has to do with Panerai attempting to break away from the Paneristi and into the more mainstream market

Sure, the movement downgrade and influx of smaller, less WR models is unappealing to the traditional Panerai fan, but data would suggest the traditional Panerai fan hasnt bought a new watch in years, and if they did, they didnt buy it direct from Panerai

If that's who you're trying to market too, you're doomed to fail, so they pivot to the non watch fan (the type who DOESNT frequent watch forums and F/Book groups) to provide an interesting alternative to Rolex/Tag/Tudor/IWC etc

They have unique design and they're leveraging that in addition towards their sustainability marketing, in order to generate buzz from people who just want a nice, interesting watch

Lets face is, if 47mm, Screw Down Back, SS tool watches were selling like hot cakes, Panerai would still be producing them

As someone who considers themselves a Panerai fan, I wouldnt buy one at retail (and there are newer models i'm interested in) as i know i can pick up a relative bargain by buying pre-owned/grey rather than pay the AD premium, so I'm part of the problem

If you dont evolve, your primary market ages out and dies and you're left with nothing

Does that mean Panerai is not longer relevant?
Well, that depends on how you define relevance
The mechanical wrist watch is largely irrelevant at the best of times
I'd argue that if you remove the principles of "value retention/appreciation" and "luxury branding" from Rolex, theyre not that relevant in 2022 outside of Horology fans and Hype Beasts
You make some very good points. I agree.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote