The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 November 2022, 08:47 AM   #1
Xerxes77
Banned

How many comments you have when you where your AP?

I just see this thread on Patek section and I think it’s a good question.
I received many compliments when I wear my ROC 26239 with rubber strap.
On steel I received comments only at my 15407.
My Rolex Submariner are by far the most compliments taken also start many comments.
What’s your experience?
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:48 AM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Outside of watch stores, I can't recall any comments. If you want comments from random people, try a Moonswatch. Had more comments on those in a few months than on all my other watches combined ever.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:11 PM   #3
Fifteen
Banned

A few comments from my gf about what a douche I am for taking pics of my watch all the time.

0 comments from anyone else
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:47 PM   #4
squall1
"TRF" Member

Only a couple folks who are also into watches to some degree...usually along the lines of..."those are so expensive, I could never spend that much on a watch"...which admittedly is a bit annoying. Other than that, no one even notices. As enthusiasts we often think people are paying attention far more than they actually are.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 01:07 PM   #5
messikens
"TRF" Member

None.

Most people in real life have no clue or don't care about watches... This forum is a prime example of selection/sampling bias
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 01:17 PM   #6
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Blue RG ROC lots by random people I would have preferred not to attract attention from.

Blue steel ROC, surprisingly a lot in random normal life. Picking up food, at meetings, etc. all usually positive. All usually catch me off guard because generally no other watch gets commented on.

CODE, lots from omega sales staff…probably trying to get a sale by laying on the compliments.

Regular RO non blues, no comments, ever. ROO only once form a friends wife because if the dial color being unique.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 05:09 PM   #7
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

I always wear long sleeves as I don’t like people looking at my watch. Never had any comments :)
gmtmister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:22 PM   #8
RiRi
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36 Mint
Since moving to Barcelona, I've switched to a Mr Jones "perfectly useless afternoon" - have gotten more compliments on this one than any other APs or Rolexes combined ...
RiRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 08:59 PM   #9
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
A few comments from my gf about what a douche I am for taking pics of my watch all the time.

Hysterical!
cascavel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 01:18 AM   #10
911AP
"TRF" Member

If I wear a steel RO maybe I get 1 here or there. If I wear a gold RO then all the time. But not because it's an AP, usually because it's a super loud gold watch. If I wear an offshore.....barely any.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 02:19 AM   #11
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

For years and years, nothing. Not a word.
And then I guess the instagram hype happened and now, for the last 18-24 months, have been getting them so often and everywhere. At watch shops of course, but also from random strangers, staff at restaurants, people in the gym etc...
Crazy
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 03:35 AM   #12
joa
"TRF" Member

i only started wearing my 15300 two weeks ago and it get comments, questions -- or in some cases glances -- very frequently.

as Aperol wrote above, it could be the social media, instagram etc. that has changed that.

at least in my impression, if you are in big cities, and surrounded by 30/40-somethings it will get noticed i think.

the whole "nobody notices / cares" still is true in many places as well, really depends on which locations and circles you navigate
Old 30 November 2022, 06:48 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
How many comments you have when you where your AP?

I get loads of comments and I keep my watches covered up most of the time, I’ve even had a client call me back after a meeting and ask if I was wearing an AP and if I can introduce them.

The funniest one I ever had was a guy came up to me at the gym as I walked out the sauna and asked what I wear to an important meeting if I wear a platinum offshore in the sauna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 07:35 AM   #14
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

Just got back from Miami and ran into more then a few people wearing AP's out and about but zero comments or discussions were had.
Old 30 November 2022, 08:58 AM   #15
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I get loads of comments and I keep my watches covered up most of the time, I’ve even had a client call me back after a meeting and ask if I was wearing an AP and if I can introduce them.

The funniest one I ever had was a guy came up to me at the gym as I walked out the sauna and asked what I wear to an important meeting if I wear a platinum offshore in the sauna.

OKAY, but now that you are dressed, seriously, what DO you wear to an important meeting if you wear a platinum offshore to the sauna?!? The guy has the right question! Lol.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:55 AM   #16
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Badass! What do you do (and wear to work) if you don’t mind me asking. Btw, as I’ve grown older, I’ve appreciated more and more the aspect that these pieces are conversation starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy996 View Post
Just got back from Miami and ran into more than a few people wearing AP's out and about but zero comments or discussions were had.
Miami is the best city for watch-spotting IMO (and I’ve spent a lot of time in LA & NYC as well).
Old 30 November 2022, 11:48 AM   #17
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post

LOLOLOL my wife doesn't call me a douche but does call me a dork quite often for taking pics of my watch all the time. I have however received a few comments on my Omega planet ocean and lots of compliments on my daytona and subs.
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:52 AM   #18
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I get comments on my Rolex's often, but rarely on my AP's. I do get "is that a Hublot?" questions here and there on the AP's though. lol.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 12:23 PM   #19
Shmoopy
"TRF" Member

My only AP is a titanium ROO, so not exactly the flashiest. I have had a couple people comment on it, they were into watches as well.

My watch that gets the most comments is my SS SkyD. Mostly watch people commenting how rarely they see SkyDs out in the wild, but I've received a few comments from several friends' children who think "it is very pretty" lol
Shmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 12:53 PM   #20
7sins
"TRF" Member

Of the APs I have owned, all of them have garnered some attention, nothing quite as much as a RG jumbo. The RG AP bracelet glistens in the sun that draws too much attention. Considering the other brands, without question, my RMs draw the most attention, almost every time I receive a comment when I have it on. I have to be very careful where I wear the watch and if I am with clients, it can be an inconvenience at times. Unfortunately the RMs don't fit under a suit sleeve, they certainly can draw the wrong type of attention. Have met and made some incredible friends from strangers who have complimented a watch or car to share similar passions. I have also extended similar compliments to strangers which tends to be much more hit or miss haha.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 03:18 PM   #21
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
OKAY, but now that you are dressed, seriously, what DO you wear to an important meeting if you wear a platinum offshore to the sauna?!? The guy has the right question! Lol.

Either my Jumbo or since I received my anniversary 41mm I might wear that, both are simple but stunning and difficult to get so if a client recognises them for what they are it can start a whole new conversation about watches. Key for me is nothing gold.

Old 30 November 2022, 06:10 PM   #22
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Badass! What do you do (and wear to work) if you don’t mind me asking. Btw, as I’ve grown older, I’ve appreciated more and more the aspect that these pieces are conversation starters.

Miami is the best city for watch-spotting IMO (and I’ve spent a lot of time in LA & NYC as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
I work in manufacturing, most of the time I’m wearing a spray suit and an air fed helmet but if I’m seeing a client then I’ll wear jacket/ jeans/ trainers.

Old 30 November 2022, 09:36 PM   #23
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Of the APs I have owned, all of them have garnered some attention, nothing quite as much as a RG jumbo. The RG AP bracelet glistens in the sun that draws too much attention. Considering the other brands, without question, my RMs draw the most attention, almost every time I receive a comment when I have it on. I have to be very careful where I wear the watch and if I am with clients, it can be an inconvenience at times. Unfortunately the RMs don't fit under a suit sleeve, they certainly can draw the wrong type of attention. Have met and made some incredible friends from strangers who have complimented a watch or car to share similar passions. I have also extended similar compliments to strangers which tends to be much more hit or miss haha.
Must be so hard wearing pieces in LA now. I don’t know how you do it (particularly with RM where it’s harder to cover with long sleeves).

Quote:
I work in manufacturing, most of the time I’m wearing a spray suit and an air fed helmet but if I’m seeing a client then I’ll wear jacket/ jeans/ trainers.

Perfect fit
Old 1 December 2022, 12:21 AM   #24
joa
"TRF" Member

@7sins - when people react to your RMs, what do they usually say? are people aware of the brand Richard Mille or are they merely intrigued by the design?
Old 1 December 2022, 03:46 AM   #25
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

Very good Ash
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 03:51 AM   #26
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I get comments on my Rolex's often, but rarely on my AP's. I do get "is that a Hublot?" questions here and there on the AP's though. lol.

Same here Micky.

All my watch friends "get" AP totally and love the ones I have. Whereas almost everyone knows/recognises the many Rolex watches I wear, even the complete non-watch people.

If anyone asked me if my AP was a Hublot I'd have a contract taken out on them though
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 06:10 AM   #27
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post
@7sins - when people react to your RMs, what do they usually say? are people aware of the brand Richard Mille or are they merely intrigued by the design?
Sentiment has always been positive, at least to my face. I think they are more aware of the cost of RM opposed to the technological advancements especially within materials along with the impact in racing. I certainly realize RM isn't to everyone's taste, it is however one of my favorite brands within the watch world.

It is definitely more troubling lately, it usually starts with "is that a Richard Mille" or "is that real" which I don't know how to respond in fear of being robbed. It is fully insured and I tend to select a watch dictated by where I am going. Was in my 57 190sl last week in Beverly Hills at a stop light and the car next to me rolled down the window and asked "how much does that RM cost?". Which to me is a bit absurd, why does that matter. The rg RM030 does tend to stand out more, especially on a bright colored strap.

Even in LA, many people have never seen a RM in person which I think is what spurs the comments, typically I let them try it on and explain my passion for the brand. Especially in a circle of friends or I see someone else passionate about horology. Had a waiter (wasn't serving my table) notice the RM and we talked about his passion for Cartier for 20 minutes while his manager yelled at him to get back to work - conversations like that make it worth wearing it out.

Will say, that has not always been reciprocated with other RM owners. I was here in Beverly Hills at a upscale bar in a suit/tie (I am also the least threatening person lol) and rm72, notice a gentleman by himself wearing a rm035. Went to compliment his RM and he was so put off by me saying anything at all he said "yeah it is" then turned around haha. Had a similar experience with someone wearing a 5740 in that bar. I am persistently stubborn and try to go out of my way to compliment someone every day and it usually pertains to watches. Made some great friends this way. Today people are on high alert and I can't blame them.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 06:36 AM   #28
joa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sentiment has always been positive, at least to my face. I think they are more aware of the cost of RM opposed to the technological advancements especially within materials along with the impact in racing. I certainly realize RM isn't to everyone's taste, it is however one of my favorite brands within the watch world.

It is definitely more troubling lately, it usually starts with "is that a Richard Mille" or "is that real" which I don't know how to respond in fear of being robbed. It is fully insured and I tend to select a watch dictated by where I am going. Was in my 57 190sl last week in Beverly Hills at a stop light and the car next to me rolled down the window and asked "how much does that RM cost?". Which to me is a bit absurd, why does that matter. The rg RM030 does tend to stand out more, especially on a bright colored strap.

Even in LA, many people have never seen a RM in person which I think is what spurs the comments, typically I let them try it on and explain my passion for the brand. Especially in a circle of friends or I see someone else passionate about horology. Had a waiter (wasn't serving my table) notice the RM and we talked about his passion for Cartier for 20 minutes while his manager yelled at him to get back to work - conversations like that make it worth wearing it out.

Will say, that has not always been reciprocated with other RM owners. I was here in Beverly Hills at a upscale bar in a suit/tie (I am also the least threatening person lol) and rm72, notice a gentleman by himself wearing a rm035. Went to compliment his RM and he was so put off by me saying anything at all he said "yeah it is" then turned around haha. Had a similar experience with someone wearing a 5740 in that bar. I am persistently stubborn and try to go out of my way to compliment someone every day and it usually pertains to watches. Made some great friends this way. Today people are on high alert and I can't blame them.
nice anecdotes ))

especially that "discrete" RM wearing guy, haha ...!

reminds me of an older gent a few months ago who was working on a gold Rolex in a public Restaurant, had it spread around the whole table (!) and was scared speechless after i simply said "nice watch" :)
Old 1 December 2022, 06:40 AM   #29
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It is definitely more troubling lately, it usually starts with "is that a Richard Mille" or "is that real" which I don't know how to respond in fear of being robbed.
I'd say it's fake.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 07:28 AM   #30
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
I'd say it's fake.

When asked, that is usually my answer. lol. I tell them replicas are darn good these days.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote